Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We are unlikely to be able to trade up or find the collateral to land Alex Dodson but we do have the collateral to land this lad. Bear in mind those stats were in almost blizzard like conditions down in Tassie on the weekend. Good ruck craft already and follows up ; with neat skills for a big unit.

View attachment 2100977

He's a redhead, so that fits our ruck profile of the last ~15 years!

I wish we had mids with these traits littered through the top 10 when we had the McAsey and Rachele picks.

Smith, Lalor, Draper and O'Sullivan all look high quality and have traits we're after.

Smith reminds me a bit of Daicos in his draft year. Small build but quick and agile enough to get around a stoppage. Makes quick and smart decisions. Knows how to find the footy easily. Skills look decent (I said the same thing about Daicos, which he's proved are elite in the AFL).

From the limited footage I've seen of O'Sullivan, he seems to play a bit like draper, but with more class?? Maybe not as quick?

Lalor is probably the one I'd go for. Big, powerful, strong overhead, good footy iq and skills. Has really got everything we're after.

Wouldn't be disappointed with Draper either. Good year to have pick 4 especially if any of the top few want a key position player.

I wish we had mids with these traits littered through the top 10 when we had the McAsey and Rachele picks.

Smith, Lalor, Draper and O'Sullivan all look high quality and have traits we're after.

Smith reminds me a bit of Daicos in his draft year. Small build but quick and agile enough to get around a stoppage. Makes quick and smart decisions. Knows how to find the footy easily. Skills look decent (I said the same thing about Daicos, which he's proved are elite in the AFL).

From the limited footage I've seen of O'Sullivan, he seems to play a bit like draper, but with more class?? Maybe not as quick?

Lalor is probably the one I'd go for. Big, powerful, strong overhead, good footy iq and skills. Has really got everything we're after.

Wouldn't be disappointed with Draper either. Good year to have pick 4 especially if any of the top few want a key position player.
A great year to have had 2 x top 10 picks. In many ways, that should be our no 1 focus over all else come this draft / trade period.

A great year to have had 2 x top 10 picks. In many ways, that should be our no 1 focus over all else come this draft / trade period.
We do have a good track record of pick swaps in recent years, so fingers crossed the club can engineer something that doesn't cost the world. Even if its another one in the teens.

Just critical that we nail the picks.

How would we get that done? The only picks I see being available would be 7, 9 and 10. I don't think we could satisfy St Kilda with a player so that leaves Fremantle's picks before they make any trade with Richmond.

1. Richmond - wont trade
2. North Melbourne - won't trade unless it's a trade down to a close pick with a decent player coming in
3. West Coast - won't trade unless it's a trade down to a close pick with a decent player coming in
4. Adelaide - ours
5. Melbourne - won't trade
6. Gold Coast - need to stay above Lombard pick. Can only see them trading up.
7. St Kilda - potentially they'd be open to something if a player was coming in?
8. Essendon - basketcase losers, will not trade
9 & 10. Fremantle: Would be looking to trade up if anything but may consider moving to the future. Also this pick could end up at Richmond for Baker/Bolton. If we could use our first to trade in 13 (GC) / 17 (Bris) then we could potentially trade 13/17 + 25 for 9 or 10. These would then go on to Richmond. Probably our best chance.

Pick 4 is 100% quarantined. Using next years pick to accelerate our list build is a must try IMO.

Given the depth of this draft, F1 should be swapped if we can secure say one of Freo's 9/10. Freo may go for this as they'll need 2025 first rounder picks to try and get Chad Warner out of Sydney. Unless Freo can get him this year in which case they'll need all three first rounders!

How would we get that done? The only picks I see being available would be 7, 9 and 10. I don't think we could satisfy St Kilda with a player so that leaves Fremantle's picks before they make any trade with Richmond.

1. Richmond - wont trade
2. North Melbourne - won't trade unless it's a trade down to a close pick with a decent player coming in
3. West Coast - won't trade unless it's a trade down to a close pick with a decent player coming in
4. Adelaide - ours
7. St Kilda - potentially they'd be open to something if a player was coming in?
9 & 10. Fremantle: Would be looking to trade up if anything but may consider moving to the future. Also this pick could end up at Richmond for Baker/Bolton. If we could use our first to trade in 13 (GC) / 17 (Bris) then we could potentially trade 13/17 + 25 for 9 or 10. These would then go on to Richmond. Probably our best chance.
Yeah, its a hard one. Would Richmond 'want' to flip one into next year after they trade Bolton etc out and they end up with maybe 4 of 5 top 10 picks after the trading ends?

1. Richmond - wont trade
4. Adelaide - ours

Saints may also get Pick 8 as FA compo for Battle (and may be central to a Houston deal). Not sure how we'd get it off them.

Richmond would be the most likely counterparty given the number of picks they'll end up with. They could end up with Pick 6 as well if its involved in the Rioli deal.

Saints may also get Pick 8 as FA compo for Battle (and may be central to a Houston deal). Not sure how we'd get it off them.

Richmond would be the most likely counterparty given the number of picks they'll end up with. They could end up with Pick 6 as well if its involved in the Rioli deal.
If the Saints get pick 8 for Battle I will vomit on my CROM shorts.

Be careful what you wish for. Lots of drafts have turned into meh with only a few players making it to elite status. Even the 2018 superdraft is losing its lustre.

#1 Walsh - genuine superstar
#2 Lukosius - no longer required by his club and, if Big Footy is anything to go by, is worth only a second rounder.
#3 Rankine - does some superstar stuff but not the whole package yet.
#4 Max King - Could be but isn't
#5 Connor Rozee - last night's game showed that he is a middling to good player but not a star.
#6 Ben King - same as his brother but a bit better
#7 Bailey Smith - Good player but a w***er and hasn't been on the park this year.
#8 Tarryn Thomas - Bona fide disaster
#9 Chayce Jones - Flop
#10 Nick Blakely - Win at this pick
#11 Jye Caldwell - Very slow start but playing well now
#12 Zac Butters - Good player but a bit of a tease.
#13 Isaac Quaynor - Good solid player
#14 Jackson Hately - Bust
#15 Jordan Clark - Solid player
#16 Ned McHenry - Bust
#17 Sam Sturt - Flop
#18 Xavier Duursma - List filler
#19 Liam Stocker - List filler
#20 Riley Collier Dawkins - is he still playing?

OK my analysis is almost superficial and will be argued against but I think the central premise still stands: even superdrafts can go flat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Be careful what you wish for. Lots of drafts have turned into meh with only a few players making it to elite status. Even the 2018 superdraft is losing its lustre.

#2 Lukosius - no longer required by his club and, if Big Footy is anything to go by, is worth only a second rounder.
#5 Connor Rozee - last night's game showed that he is a middling to good player but not a star.
#7 Bailey Smith - Good player but a w***er and hasn't been on the park this year.
#9 Chayce Jones - Flop
#16 Ned McHenry - Bust
#17 Sam Sturt - Flop

OK my analysis is almost superficial and will be argued against but I think the central premise still stands: even superdrafts can go flat.
Pretty sure that was always considered a super draft based on the top 7 wasn’t it? Like everyone wanted to get into the top 7 but no one wanted out?

We always knew we were just outside the real cream

#9 Chayce Jones - Flop
#16 Ned McHenry - Bust
#17 Sam Sturt - Flop

Some of this certainly feels like overly harsh analysis to suit an opinion

We do have a good track record of pick swaps in recent years, so fingers crossed the club can engineer something that doesn't cost the world. Even if its another one in the teens.

Just critical that we nail the picks.

The Curtin trade up was a nice bit of work.

#9 Chayce Jones - Flop
#16 Ned McHenry - Bust
#17 Sam Sturt - Flop

Rozee, butters and Smith are all elite players (smith less so).

I stopped reading when I saw Rankine only does "some" superstar stuff.
Just out of interest - because we're all friends here - where would you place Rankine? Don't get me wrong, I love having him in our team, and he has produced some true game changing magic. BUT he doesn't do it enough to be ranked with the true superstars of our game - Bontempelli, Daicos etc. He is absolutely capable of elevation to that level and I hope it happens from next year. Then I will happily revise my quickly thought out one line summary!!

Just out of interest - because we're all friends here - where would you place Rankine? Don't get me wrong, I love having him in our team, and he has produced some true game changing magic. BUT he doesn't do it enough to be ranked with the true superstars of our game - Bontempelli, Daicos etc. He is absolutely capable of elevation to that level and I hope it happens from next year. Then I will happily revise my quickly thought out one line summary!!
Injury and suspension are his enemy. If he can overcome particularly the hammy injuries, he could easily be talked about as an all time great of our club at the end of his playing days

Adelaide F1 to Freo for 13 and F1. There's a reasonable chance we come 15th and they make the GF but it's time to gamble. If we come 12th and they come 6th it's been a good trade.

Trade 4 and 13 to St Kilda for 7 & 8 (Battle compensation)

We get two gun players to develop this year, Draper could well be one of those, and remain in the first round next year.

Last edited:
Adelaide F1 to Freo for 13 and F1. There's a reasonable chance we come 15th and they make the GF but it's time to gamble. If we come 12th and they come 6th it's been a good trade.

Trade 4 and 13 to St Kilda for 7 & 8 (Battle compensation)

We get too gun players to develop this year, Draper could well be one of those, and remain in the first round next year.
I like the first part of your trade, but then I would just go into the draft with 4 and 13. I don't want to downgrade 4 to 7 as that would take us out of the prime hitting spot for a premium mid.

4 and 13 gets us a Draper/Lalor/FOS and then potentially Dodson with 13.

Injury and suspension are his enemy. If he can overcome particularly the hammy injuries, he could easily be talked about as an all time great of our club at the end of his playing days
The worst thing that could have happened for Rankine was to be drafted by GC. He really struggled in those first 4 years, even being dropped 3 times before coming here. Since coming home he looks like a genuine superstar, and when our coaches realize how dominant he can be on ball, then the sky’s the limit. He and JHF are still easily the best juniors I’ve watched live, although I agree about his hammies.

I like the first part of your trade, but then I would just go into the draft with 4 and 13. I don't want to downgrade 4 to 7 as that would take us out of the prime hitting spot for a premium mid.

4 and 13 gets us a Draper/Lalor/FOS and then potentially Dodson with 13.
Please, please, please don’t use another 1st round pick on a ruckman or key position. If we have 4 and 13 then take 2 mids, and btw pick 7 will still get potentially the best player this year. There is so little between the top 8 that dropping back could be a good strategy this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back