Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey guys. Just a question regarding Draper:

Anyone aware if Adelaide are particularly 'desperate' for him? Having an ongoing thing on our board where many seem to think Adelaide will swap first rounders for something like the Barrass pick, with Curtin coming back or Crows 2nd rounder for a swap of first rounders. Along those lines.

Personally, I keep telling them that's just dumb and I don't see any world in where the Crows recruiters do that, just for an SA kid. Guess I'm just sick of seeing it brought up like it's likely to happen(I very much doubt anything even remotely close to that would happen).

Anyone aware if Adelaide are particularly 'desperate' for him? Having an ongoing thing on our board where many seem to think Adelaide will swap first rounders for something like the Barrass pick, with Curtin coming back or Crows 2nd rounder for a swap of first rounders. Along those lines.

Personally, I keep telling them that's just dumb and I don't see any world in where the Crows recruiters do that, just for an SA kid. Guess I'm just sick of seeing it brought up like it's likely to happen(I very much doubt anything even remotely close to that would happen).
we dont even think draper is necessarily adelaide first choice at pick 4. no way your fantasy trade is happening.

we dont even think draper is necessarily adelaide first choice at pick 4. no way your fantasy trade is happening.
Well, it's not my fantasy trade. In fact, I'm on your side. No way Adelaide does anything remotely like that IMO.

fair enough. it would have to be more like they handover curtin for pick 3 outright but i dont know.
That offer was on the table during the draft last year, no reason to think it wouldn't still be. Given we didn't take it then, we'd only take it now if there was an inkling he's going to head home at some stage anyway.

Well, it's not my fantasy trade. In fact, I'm on your side. No way Adelaide does anything remotely like that IMO.
The only local lad we've taken in the top 10 in the past 15 years was Thilthorpe. Our list management team seem pretty focussed on getting Adelaide boys back home but Ogilvy and the draft team have never shown a penchant for local talent over others. Draper would be in the mix for sure but no chance we sell the farm to get him, there's a whole slate of high level talent available if he's gone by 4.

I hope the club wouldn't entertain the offer because as good as the top 5 or so players look, you never know and I think we've seen enough from Curtin to know the kid is going to be a star.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My read of the draft is there is very little difference between much of the top 10 so the chances a club who already have a top 10 will pay a premium to climb up to get "their guy" is pretty slim.

We might get Draper. We might get FOS. I just expect we'll get the next guy on our list when our number is up. We won't be too wedded to who that is to the point we part with anything significant for it.

I also agree with a previous comment that our strategy looks like drafting non-SA players, and try to get the SA players back in a trade or FA.

My read of the draft is there is very little difference between much of the top 10 so the chances a club who already have a top 10 will pay a premium to climb up to get "their guy" is pretty slim.

We might get Draper. We might get FOS. I just expect we'll get the next guy on our list when our number is up. We won't be too wedded to who that is to the point we part with anything significant for it.

I also agree with a previous comment that our strategy looks like drafting non-SA players, and try to get the SA players back in a trade or FA.
That may be the case with our recruiters looking for a certain type but how many of the top ten look to be genuine gamebreakers? I hope we are looking at a gamebreaker and IMO there's a lot of very good prospects even as deep as later in the 1st round but how many are absolute gamebreakers. Obviously I'm biased but Sam Lalor has to be top of my list in that regard.

Finally got around to checking out what I could find on Finn O'Sullivan. Looks like a smooth mover with good skills, nice evasion and plays with a lot of time.

At this point i'm probably liking more of what I've seen from his Vic Country teammate in Lalor, particularly for our mix. But I'm not going to be overly upset if his name gets read out on draft night. Looks like the type that could play early if he can get his pesky injuries under control. Handy on a HFF

Finally got around to checking out what I could find on Finn O'Sullivan. Looks like a smooth mover with good skills, nice evasion and plays with a lot of time.

At this point i'm probably liking more of what I've seen from his Vic Country teammate in Lalor, particularly for our mix. But I'm not going to be overly upset if his name gets read out on draft night. Looks like the type that could play early if he can get his pesky injuries under control. Handy on a HFF
I think the consensus is one of FOS, Draper or Lalor for pick 4 and most here would be happy or travaglia (for Jeffcrowe )

Hey Jeffcrowe how would you rate Langford's athleticism? What would he add to our engine room and would you be happy if we picked him? Cheers.
I’ve got him 5th pick for us and he’s the last on my list that I’d still be happy with

Travaglia Lalor Draper FOS then him , that’s my cut off re being happy

He’s heavily criticised for his speed but I’m not as worried as some , he’s an actual metres gained player as he’s able to get to the outside and run and carry

I’d also imagine he will get chiselled fit and that ability to win contested ball but then get to to the outside will only improve

If he had a more precise kick I’d prob have him in my top 2 or 3 , it has penetration but not as precise at it could be

The Bont isn’t quick but is able to get to the outside and be a metres gained player and I see Langford similar in that regard

I think when we look back in a few years, Langford will be top 2 in this draft. You can quote me on that ;)
I think there’s a very strong chance he actually goes 2 as well. If North want a bigger mid for their mix, has probably overtaken Smilie. If they want speed - which they don’t currently have with their young kids - might be Draper.

I think there’s a very strong chance he actually goes 2 as well. If North want a bigger mid for their mix, has probably overtaken Smilie. If they want speed - which they don’t currently have with their young kids - might be Draper.
i reckon north trade down this year just got a feeling. they cant keep taking mids forever and getting no better cos they have no spine.

The only local lad we've taken in the top 10 in the past 15 years was Thilthorpe. Our list management team seem pretty focussed on getting Adelaide boys back home but Ogilvy and the draft team have never shown a penchant for local talent over others. Draper would be in the mix for sure but no chance we sell the farm to get him, there's a whole slate of high level talent available if he's gone by 4.
We tried to sell the farm for jhf

But even so... I think there's probably 5 players you would rate pretty closely this year so no point selling anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back