Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

OMG . Surely, they try and bundle a few up to move up the list.

Richmond now holds picks No.1, 24, 32, 42, 43, 45, 51, 61, 70 and 76. Rioli trade to be done as well plus a few others trying to get out.

Another factor we need to consider is the vic metro go home factor when picking at the very top end of this draft as we simply have to nail this pick long term. I fully get picking for talent but if they are all pretty even with their own points of difference, then the SA kid or Vic country kid may be the wiser option
where did lalor go to school? i actually think its the private school ties more than whether they are country or metro.

Another factor we need to consider is the vic metro go home factor when picking at the very top end of this draft as we simply have to nail this pick long term. I fully get picking for talent but if they are all pretty even with their own points of difference, then the SA kid or Vic country kid may be the wiser option
100% agree. This pick is so vital for our future that I think a F2 is small fry to get to pick 2. At the moment all these picks are rated similarly but history will tell us that 1 or 2 will end up Cripps and several will be Will Phillips, and the go home factor has to be considered.

OMG . Surely, they try and bundle a few up to move up the list.

Richmond now holds picks No.1, 24, 32, 42, 43, 45, 51, 61, 70 and 76. Rioli trade to be done as well plus a few others trying to get out.
Plus Bolton and Baker.

They probably end up with roughly:-
1, 6, 10(Fremantle), 14(West Coast), 18(Fremantle), 20 (Brisbane).

With still room to try and bundle up other picks and move up again.

They’ll struggle for a few years, but if they get this draft right they are going to be big improvers soon.

Tauru going early would be a nice bonus for us at pick 4
The more I think about it the more sense it makes that we trade up with North.

They 100% know that Tauru will be there at 4 so if they are going to take him anyway then getting a F2 as well is a no brainer. And for us giving a F2 to get probably Draper also makes sense. Trying to not use our F2 for Peatling fits perfectly into this theory.

The more I think about it the more sense it makes that we trade up with North.

They 100% know that Tauru will be there at 4 so if they are going to take him anyway then getting a F2 as well is a no brainer. And for us giving a F2 to get probably Draper also makes sense. Trying to not use our F2 for Peatling fits perfectly into this theory.
I've long been in the 'stay at pick 4' camp, but maybe considering we are in trade week and the blood is flowing, I could actually see us being a part of several scenario's that could shape the first round.

Norths sliding back from Pick 2
St Kilda using 7&8 (or F1) to move around
Essendon needing to jump in front of a Kako bid (Might need to offer a F1)
West Coast sliding back from Pick 3
Melbourne wanting 2 picks (Apparently their F1 is on the table)
GC's pick 13 on the table and the need to stay in front of the Lombard bid

The often Playstation-ed, but rarely executed Trade Back/Into Future, followed by a Trade back up maneuver may actually be plausible for a particularly ballsy list manager.

Have we been linked to Lalor at all? I have seen us linked to a few others but haven't seen anything about Lalor.
I wouldn't be surprised if Lalor has risen to clubhouse leader for some of the list managers. And as such they are keeping very hush hush on him. This year with no consensus #1 pick, secrecy in who your club like's should be doubly important!

He's actually from Bachus Marsh/Darley and schooled at Geelong Grammar for 2 years along with his teammate ruckman Flynn Penry who's from Cobden and both played for the GWV Rebels/VC.

I doubt he'd be anywhere near the risk of a Sandringham Dragons/Oakleigh Chargeres etc/Melbourne metroplitan origin like Jagga Smith (Scotch College). The fact is quite a few of the Victorian Country's top prospects and even interstate prospects get offered sporting scholarships i.e Finn O'Sullivan is from Koroit (20km NW of Warrnambool).

Last edited:
He's actually from Bachus Marsh/Darley and schooled at Geelong Grammar for 2 years along with his teammate ruckman Flynn Penry who's from Cobden and both plated for the GWV Rebels/VC.

I doubt he'd be anywhere near the risk of a Sandringham Dragons/Oakleigh Chargeres etc/Melbourne metroplitan origin like Jagga Smith (Scotch College). The fact is quite a few of the Victorian Country's top prospects and even interstate prospects get offered sporting scholarships i.e Finn O'Sullivan is from Koroit (20km NW of Warrnambool).
Lads who only attend a private school for their last 2 years(on a scholarship) simply don't have the same ties as a lad who attended the same school for most or all of their school life. Obviously there would be exceptions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A strong performance from Sam Lalor who like many others was forced to embrace a change in role for the balance of his team. He played the first half in defense and looked comfortable back there, able to use his physicality to out muscle opponents and picking his moments to leave his opponent and attack the game. In the second half he played his more customary midfield role, dominating at stoppage with his tough tackling and winning four clearances for the half.

A strong performance from Sam Lalor who like many others was forced to embrace a change in role for the balance of his team. He played the first half in defense and looked comfortable back there, able to use his physicality to out muscle opponents and picking his moments to leave his opponent and attack the game. In the second half he played his more customary midfield role, dominating at stoppage with his tough tackling and winning four clearances for the half.

Pretty impressive how quickly he looks to move the ball on there and some of his GWV Rebels/Geelong Grammar teammate ruckman Flynn Penry's elite tap work that hit Lalor on the tit shows the synergy between the pair. Could we make another list spot available and take both? ;) :fire:

Pretty impressive how quickly he looks to move the ball on there and some of his GWV Rebels/Geelong Grammar teammate ruckman Flynn Penry's elite tap work that hit Lalor on the tit shows the synergy between the pair. Could we make another list spot available and take both? ;) :fire:
Ok slow down there champ.
Don’t you know that drafting is a mysterious art form that is part extensive research, part magic and part pure luck?
Common sense suggestions like this have no place.

where did lalor go to school? i actually think its the private school ties more than whether they are country or metro.
Could not disagree more. The biggest worry are the lads from around the affluent inner city/seaside suburbs in Melbourne which takes in the Sandringham Dragons and to a lesser degree the Oakleigh Chargers mostly, Country lads that attend the APS system for a year or 2 on a sporting scholarship are way less a worry. Geelong Grammar and Geelong College aren't anything like Haileybury, Xavier, Scotch or Melbourne Grammar etc. i.e. Fischer McAsey.

Is it any wonder the inner city APS schools lure country lads when such outstanding athletes
like Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (Warrnambool), Finn O'Sullivan (Koroit) with sporting scholarships or even Geelong Grammar from outside the inner city metroplitan APS system chase a player like Sam Lalor who is elite at both cricket and AFL?

I actually think with the Victorian country lads boarding for a year or 2 away from family and friends is probably advantageous to interstate clubs though WA does have the tyranny of distance also.

Would we consider Pick 4 + F2 > 7+8 from St Kilda? Could get Langford and Travaglia.
No because there's no ironclad guarantee both will be there. Only chance anything of that nature happens is on the night and then very doubtful Langford lasts that long. I seriously doubt we'd even do that on the night unless the player our guys have on top of their list is from way out on left field.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back