Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Would Welsh have spent a fair bit of time on the weights this year? Trying to get stronger to compete with adults. Maybe came at the expense of some running.

I have no conditioning knowledge at all. What comes first for a late teen? Do they need to develop the power/strength first then build the endurance stuff later? Or should they work on agility/running first and bulk up later? I'd have assumed the latter but I guess everyone is different

Is Ruby Ballard (West Adelaide) related to Charlie Ballard does anyone know? She won the 20m sprint at the SA combine testing

Would Welsh have spent a fair bit of time on the weights this year? Trying to get stronger to compete with adults. Maybe came at the expense of some running.

I have no conditioning knowledge at all. What comes first for a late teen? Do they need to develop the power/strength first then build the endurance stuff later? Or should they work on agility/running first and bulk up later? I'd have assumed the latter but I guess everyone is different

Is Ruby Ballard (West Adelaide) related to Charlie Ballard does anyone know? She won the 20m sprint at the SA combine testing
Sister of Abbie

I believe Welsh gave up year twelve and instead chose to train with the Crows full time. Weights training at the expense of conditioning maybe.

When they enter the system at 16’s it’s all about their tank. Not too much focus on the weights. An 8m 2K would have the alarm bells ringing even at that age group. Tells a story about their mindset.

They move to weights U18 BUT the fitness base should be there by that stage.

Young Tyler has spent 3 years being the big kid and bullying the oppo AND being told he’s going to the Crows.
That’s a horrible 2K however you slice it. Needs a clip around the ears.

I believe Welsh gave up year twelve and instead chose to train with the Crows full time. Weights training at the expense of conditioning maybe.
Nah, Burgess is way too experienced than to do that, from the outside it looks seriously like Tyler lacks self discipline away from the club because he wouldn't be eating crap while at the club.

When they enter the system at 16’s it’s all about their tank. Not too much focus on the weights. An 8m 2K would have the alarm bells ringing even at that age group. Tells a story about their mindset.

They move to weights U18 BUT the fitness base should be there by that stage.

Young Tyler has spent 3 years being the big kid and bullying the oppo AND being told he’s going to the Crows.
That’s a horrible 2K however you slice it. Needs a clip around the ears.
Actually on paper it looks like not too many of the SA lads came even close to excelling in their athletic testing compared to the the eastern states.

Going to be interesting to see how the WA lads test at today's WA state Combine in comparison.

Actually on paper it looks like not too many of the SA lads came even close to excelling in their athletic testing compared to the the eastern states.

Going to be interesting to see how the WA lads test at today's WA state Combine in comparison.
I think you and I both know there was a few egos amongst the SA boys this year - no names.

The WA boys pulled their pants down at nationals and left Bangers red faced. Expect the WA boys to do better at their combine.

Sounds a little bit like Welsh following in Tex's early footsteps.... People forget Tex was very raw in early days (remember the infamous beer with mates when he got sropped) and kept building and getting fitter/stronger.

I think Welsh will be fine, young raw kid with talent finding his way. It will click for him over next few years.

Nah, Burgess is way too experienced than to do that, from the outside it looks seriously like Tyler lacks self discipline away from the club because he wouldn't be eating crap while at the club.
Isn’t he at the crows full time though, wouldn’t burgess be seeing weekly what’s going on with him?

Isn’t he at the crows full time though, wouldn’t burgess be seeing weekly what’s going on with him?
Spends more time away from the club than he's there still.
That old saying you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Looking at it purely from the outside it appears to my eye it's a self discipline issue...happy to be proven wrong but.

I would also think Burgess probably wouldn't push a 17 year old too hard that's not actually already on the list, no doubt it will go up many levels if we draft him.

Sounds a little bit like Welsh following in Tex's early footsteps.... People forget Tex was very raw in early days (remember the infamous beer with mates when he got sropped) and kept building and getting fitter/stronger.

I think Welsh will be fine, young raw kid with talent finding his way. It will click for him over next few years.
The best thing for that boy would be for the Crows to send him back to the Eagles for a season. Would be a big shock to his system and would sort out his mindset.

Would either turn him into a good AFL prospect OR would end up at Nangwarry on 1000 a game and kicking 150 goals with free beer and pies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spends more time away from the club than he's there still.
That old saying you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Looking at it purely from the outside it appears to my eye it's a self discipline issue...happy to be proven wrong but.

I would also think Burgess probably wouldn't push a 17 year old too hard that's not actually already on the list, no doubt it will go up many levels if we draft him.
I don’t know how much time he spends there, what ever happens you’d think the club would have a good handle on what’s going on, much better than if he was a random draftee.

I don’t think so re weights

Rehab for back - yes

But direct weights , I don’t think so as he was already big and powerful . He’d be a beast in the weights room

His power and strength has always been his strength including burst speed and his endurance conditioning his weakness

If they are a complete joke why are all club recruiters there?

So they can spend time with the draftees. Extra interviews - extra time. The results are pretty meaningless.

It's more about seeing how hard the draftees are prepared to push themselves especially with the 2km run.

Looking at Tyler yesterday he looks like he's been dining out on a mix of Macca's and Vili's since the SANFL season finished. From that recruiters would likely question his self discipline.

Same thing happened with another SA lad a few years ago Will Gould who put on a lot of "condition" between season's end and the Combine....Drafted by the Swans and now back at Glenelg struggling.

Sure but for every unfit kid with talent - there is a player with a good attitude and great combine results (See - McHenry/Jones). Give me the talented kid rather than the 17 year old professional who runs quickly in his underwear over 20 meters.

I don’t know how much time he spends there, what ever happens you’d think the club would have a good handle on what’s going on, much better than if he was a random draftee.
Same thing applies as above unfortunately weights aren't made available anymore but looking at him yesterday it's clearly blown out since he last played.

So they can spend time with the draftees. Extra interviews - extra time. The results are pretty meaningless.

Sure but for every unfit kid with talent - there is a player with a good attitude and great combine results (See - McHenry/Jones). Give me the talented kid rather than the 17 year old professional who runs quickly in his underwear over 20 meters.
Recruiters don't look at it that way, it comes down to how they see the draftees in a professional environment and self discipline is a big part of that.

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's why the Crows got him in to their system as soon as possible.
I think you will find he had a disjointed upbringing and was a bit aimless. Didn't attend too many classes in his year eleven and now has forfeited year 12. Must get focussed in his life.

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back