Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Then you go with FOS

Though he’ll be gone by 2 or 3 so it’s moot
Please reassure me again here DiT - luckily finishing with pick 4 - we can’t miss the universally regarded Big 4 in Smith, Lalor, FOS and Draper? All are likely guns - correct?

Even being one or 2 picks lower seems to have lots less confidence in what player goes next if my understanding is correct.

The issue is Kangas likely to trade 2 for Tiges 6 and a later pick (18 ish) IMO. It may mean Tiges get the first 2 mids of the draft - ideally Smith and Lalor - and Blues heavily rumoured to take FOS, leaving Draper for us,

I suppose Kamgas could pick a tall at 2 but very unlikely IMO as an over-reach. Saints or Dees could also prise pick 2 if they offered 7&8, or 5&9 but unlikely Saints or Dees give up so much in an even top 10 IMO

Thoughts mate?

Why are we so sure of this? It it just an assumption based on the Sam Walsh cousin stuff?
I articulated earlier in the thread. But FOS is good friends apparently with Harley Reid and it has been mentioned on other boards that Reid was/is keen to play with FOS apparently. I believe Carlton are playing the long game here by targeting a guy that was touted as pick 1 for a long time who 'may' assist in luring Reid to the club down the track. Just my take on things.

I was watching Draper clips last night and the way he runs and follows up his disposals reminds me a bit of peak Ben Cousins (the on field version).

I still remember the day Cousins came out in the 2nd half of a final torched us as Footy Park. Was literally sprinting for 60 mins straight. Wouldn't be surprised if he ran 10+kms in a half of football.
Is he like JHF at all? Not as hard but explosive ball hunting mid who if he puts on muscle could become a Danger type clone?

I articulated earlier in the thread. But FOS is good friends apparently with Harley Reid and it has been mentioned on other boards that Reid was/is keen to play with FOS apparently. I believe Carlton are playing the long game here by drafting a guy that was touted as pick 1 for a long time who 'may' assist in luring Reid to the club down the track. Just my take on things.
Makes sense and the more you understand the more clubs are working on these things YEARS in advance as you say

Imagine Reid’s first contract extension. It’s how much OVER 1m per year and how many years are the real questions. Extraordinary and likely to be the richest ever AFL player from salaried income from the game within a decade if not much sooner

Could definitely justify Lalor at 1, especially with the bounty of picks the Tigers have

Reminds me of Rayner going 1 - maybe not quite as fit or as much of accumulator as others around him at the top of the draft yet, but arguably the highest ceiling of anyone in the crop
As handy as Rayner is, I don't think he's worthy of being a number 1.

Makes sense and the more you understand the more clubs are working on these things YEARS in advance as you say

Imagine Reid’s first contract extension. It’s how much OVER 1m per year and how many years are the real questions. Extraordinary and likely to be the richest ever AFL player from salaried income from the game within a decade if not much sooner
But also make no mistake, FOS is going to be a terrific player in his own right and deserves to be right at the very pointy end of the draft so its not like its going after an inferior player for the draft pick point. It just seems to fit as I also believe Richmond are tossing up on Smith or Lalor. Smith is also a super talent and I'd be most happy if we landed him (assuming no go home pull) and as Richmond have had him under their nose all year and have followed him closely, it will be no surprise to me if they do call his name out at pick 1.

SO, the first 4 could very much look like this

1 Smith - Richmond
2 Lalor - North
3 FOS - Carlton
4 Draper - Adelaide

But regardless if it does not, assuming we do take one of the above, we have done very well in any case

As handy as Rayner is, I don't think he's worthy of being a number 1.
In hindsight no, but Rayner’s ceiling was regarded as huge back in the day. Was getting Dusty comparisons

And honestly, Lalor’s shown to have more accumulative abilities than Rayner did (at least at CTL level)

It’s a bit of a swing for the fences, but Richmond need stars, now that most of the game-breakers from their prem era are either gone or past it

But also make no mistake, FOS is going to be a terrific player in his own right and deserves to be right at the very pointy end of the draft so its not like its going after an inferior player for the draft pick point. It just seems to fit as I also believe Richmond are tossing up on Smith or Lalor. Smith is also a super talent and I'd be most happy if we landed him (assuming no go home pull) and as Richmond have had him under their nose all year and have followed him closely, it will be no surprise to me if they do call his name out at pick 1.

SO, the first 4 could very much look like this

1 Smith - Richmond
2 Lalor - North
3 FOS - Carlton
4 Draper - Adelaide

But regardless if it does not, assuming we do take one of the above, we have done very well in any case
I think it makes sense for North to trade down 2 to 6 given midfield isn't really a need for them.
Then Tigers get Smith and Lalor.

Please reassure me again here DiT - luckily finishing with pick 4 - we can’t miss the universally regarded Big 4 in Smith, Lalor, FOS and Draper? All are likely guns - correct?

Even being one or 2 picks lower seems to have lots less confidence in what player goes next if my understanding is correct.

The issue is Kangas likely to trade 2 for Tiges 6 and a later pick (18 ish) IMO. It may mean Tiges get the first 2 mids of the draft - ideally Smith and Lalor - and Blues heavily rumoured to take FOS, leaving Draper for us,

I suppose Kamgas could pick a tall at 2 but very unlikely IMO as an over-reach. Saints or Dees could also prise pick 2 if they offered 7&8, or 5&9 but unlikely Saints or Dees give up so much in an even top 10 IMO

Thoughts mate?
Assuming we take one of them (bold assumption), I think all are very good chances to be high impact midfielders for us. Draper and Smith more the sure things, FOS and Lalor less so but higher ceilings

I don’t think it’s necessarily a case of ‘you’re ****ed if you have a pick lower than that’ though, guys like Lindsay/Travaglia/Smillie all are very promising too. Just maybe a tad less certainty about them being impactful centre square players

I don’t think Lalor or FOS will last to our pick FWIW, more likely to be Smith or Draper

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it makes sense for North to trade down 2 to 6 given midfield isn't really a need for them.
Then Tigers get Smith and Lalor.
Absolutely, If Richmond could get say 6 & 11 for 2, it will far better suit where they are at in their rebuild as they have already loaded right up on mids and now need to draft the best talls available

Nice trade period Crows.

Can't see this going any other way but Draper now.

2025 Trade Targets
Leek Aleer (out of contract)
Wanganeen-Milera (out of contract)
Chad Warner (out of contract)
Luke Davies-Uniake (FA)
Can't see Warner going anywhere but back to Perth if he leaves IMO.

Aleer would be a shrewd get, but with Perryman and Cumming gone I have a feeling they might move magnets around and he'll get more games (and up his price).

Is Phillipou out of contract next year or 2026?

Aleer would be a shrewd get, but with Perryman and Cumming gone I have a feeling they might move magnets around and he'll get more games (and up his price).

I mean, is there much point going for Aleer? Considering we’re now seemingly all-in on Keane as our intercepting CHB (or 3rd tall if Woozle goes down)

Why are we so sure of this? It it just an assumption based on the Sam Walsh cousin stuff?
The cousin stuff is barely a factor - they are second cousins Twomey mentioned that they aren't particularly close. Carlton may pick FOS, but if Draper is there at their pick he would round out their midfield - they need more pace.

I was watching Draper clips last night and the way he runs and follows up his disposals reminds me a bit of peak Ben Cousins (the on field version).

I still remember the day Cousins came out in the 2nd half of a final torched us as Footy Park. Was literally sprinting for 60 mins straight. Wouldn't be surprised if he ran 10+kms in a half of football.
Yep, we cannot pass on Draper if he's available at our pick IMO.

I articulated earlier in the thread. But FOS is good friends apparently with Harley Reid and it has been mentioned on other boards that Reid was/is keen to play with FOS apparently. I believe Carlton are playing the long game here by targeting a guy that was touted as pick 1 for a long time who 'may' assist in luring Reid to the club down the track. Just my take on things.
Harley's long time girlfroiend....

Capture.PNG

Isn't Finn Callaghan OOC end of next year?..I'd be throwing everything including the kitchen sink at him if we are not going to try to get to position where we can draft Sharpe

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back