Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Lalor looks a real beast but just worry about some of his injuries (aware other top prospects have injuries too like Draper etc).

I'll be happy with any of:

Lalor
Smith
FOS
Draper
Langford

Surely we couldn't go wrong with one of those?!?

This pick has to be a 200+ gamer for the club. Please dont stuff it up Hamish.

My preference would be:

Lalor
Draper
Smith
Lanford
FOS

Purely from just watching video highlights:

Lalor > Draper/Smith > The rest

Taj Hotton looks very good, if it wasn't for his ACL, I'd put him in the Draper/Smith group, although he plays the game a bit differently. We need the Draper/Smith type to help out Soligo and replace Laird and you'd hope either of these would be good to go in 2025. Lalor is probably more a projected midfielder, who, a bit like Rachele and Rankine, would start his career forward, but potentially could be anything if it all works out.

Thinking back to that St Kilda group:

Draper/Smith a bit like Luke Ball
Lalor a bit like Goddard
Hotton a bit like Dal Santo

Draper to NORTH makes sense ....their midfield isn't quick, and they don't need yet another big bodied Mid

Draper suits Norths midfield mix

What? There’s two things wrong.

LDU and Wardlaw both ran faster 20m times in their draft years than Draper.

McKercher has one of the quickest 20-30m splits in the entire AFL once he hits top speed, has one of the highest top speeds in the comp also.

Draper is probably my favorite mid of the top group, should be an absolute no brainer for you lot if available. But he’s not what I’d consider a big bodied mid though.

He has the same ballistic intensity as Wardlaw around the ball. It’s rare.

McKercher has one of the quickest 20-30m splits in the entire AFL once he hits top speed, has one of the highest top speeds in the comp also.

Draper is probably my favorite mid of the top group, should be an absolute no brainer for you lot if available. But he’s not what I’d consider a big bodied mid though.

Is that so? What times are those?

Wardlaw didn’t test at the combine.

Is that so? What times are those?

Wardlaw didn’t test at the combine.

He did at the CTL pre-season testing.

2.92 20m
101cm RVJ
8.33 agility
600 yo-yo

Not to mention smashed most of the u/18 powerlifting records in closed testing. He did the same to some of Majak Daws club records in his first week at North.

He’s one of the best power athletes ever tested at u18 level in Victoria. That’s a vertical comparable to Nic Nat and has a 10m acceleration split around Dangerfields.

Goes under the radar because of the unassuming way he looks/plays, lack of vision having missed virtually 90% his top age year and the fact he didn’t test at the combine also, so not publicly released.

He’s also very much burst over 5-10m rather than someone like McKercher or Windsor who burn players off over 30-40m runs. So not as noticeable unless watching. It’s most noticeable in his defensive efforts actually, his closing speed is insane at times.

Last edited:
He did at the CTL pre-season testing.

2.92 20m
101cm RVJ
8.33 agility
600 yo-yo

Not to mention smashed most of the u/18 powerlifting records in closed testing. He did the same to some of Majak Daws club records in his first week at North.

He’s one of the best power athletes ever tested at u18 level in Victoria. That’s a vertical comparable to Nic Nat and has a 10m acceleration split around Dangerfields.

Goes under the radar because of the unassuming way he looks/plays, lack of vision having missed virtually 90% his top age year and the fact he didn’t test at the combine also, so not publicly released.

He’s also very much burst over 5-10m rather than someone like McKercher or Windsor who burn players off over 30-40m runs. So not as noticeable unless watching. It’s most noticeable in his defensive efforts actually, his closing speed is insane at times.

While you're here, and thanks for turning up with some interesting info, a few questions:

1) Do you think North will trade down?
2) If so, how low do you think North would want to trade down?
3) Who do you think they're targetting?

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting Draper was big bodied MID ....I was saying you don't need another big bodied Mid in your midfield, like Lalor for example

As I've said B4, testing times on wooden floorboards in runners can be misleading

I think it’s VERY likely Tigers slide one of their mid first rounders (10 or 11) into a first rounder next year. Also feel we are a prime candidate they would like to do business with finishing bottom 4 and predicted to be bottom 6/7 next year.

I understand the challenges but would be tempted to do the deal and pay out Shoey or similar, Vader mentioned we have probably used up our salary cap but I imagine we are operating at less than 100% allowing this unexpected payout . Otherwise just go to Dawson or TT and ask to defer 100-200k each (Nov and Dec salaries) and add it to next year,

Having pick 4, and other gunnish player at 10/11 (before Academies etc) is the right strategy this year and achieveable I imagine from all perspectives

The AFL trade period is over and just over a month remains until the 2024 national draft.
Here’s the latest draft news from around the country.

HOW THE TRADE PERIOD HAS RESHAPED THE DRAFT

It wasn’t just players that changed club during the AFL trade period.

A stack of draft picks were also moved around, with some clubs now holding a vastly different set of selections to what they were a fortnight ago.

As expected, Richmond made some strong additions to its trade hand as it got deals done for Dan Rioli, Liam Baker and Shai Bolton.

The Tigers now hold eight of the first 24 picks in what has been labelled an “extraordinary” draft.

But they weren’t the only winners from a draft perspective.

Carlton was keen to climb up the order from pick 12 and did, landing West Coast’s pick 3.

Melbourne already had pick 5, but were able to also secure pick 9 off Essendon.

Port Adelaide was set to enter the draft at pick 39, but now holds three of the first 36 selections as a result of the Dan Houston trade.

Richmond still has pick 1, which it is widely expected to use on midfielder-forward Sam Lalor. Picture: Getty Images
Similarly, the Western Bulldogs’ first draft pick before the trade period was a second-round selection at pick 35.

The Bulldogs now picks 17 and 25, after agreeing to trade Bailey Smith, Jack Macrae and Caleb Daniel.

However, on the flip side, some clubs which landed key trade targets have seen their draft hands significantly diminished.

Collingwood’s first pick was selection 36 but is now 52, with the Magpies also being without a first-round selection in 2025 after securing Dan Houston.

“I know it looks bad at number 52 but the way the bidding system works, it comes back down at the end of the draft,” Collingwood list boss Justin Leppitsch said.

“We did know we were risking sliding back a few but we still think there are some quality players in this draft there that we can look at. You can’t get everything you want, can you? You can’t bring in the best player in the trade period and also think you can get the perfect draft hand as well. It’s just not logical.”

Fremantle had hold three of the top 18 picks heading into the trade period, but now have only pick 14 remaining as a result of the Shai Bolton trade.

Hawthorn’s first selection sits at 33, after pick 14 was given up as part of the deal to secure West Coast key defender Tom Barrass.

ALTERED DRAFT HANDS AFTER TRADE PERIOD​

ADELAIDE
Before Trade Period: 4, 28, 45, 63
After Trade Period: 4, 64
BRISBANE LIONS
Before Trade Period: 20, 59, 72
After Trade Period: 27, 34, 42, 43, 49, 60, 66
CARLTON
Before Trade Period: 12, 34, 65, 68, 71
After Trade Period: 3, 38, 63, 68, 69, 72
COLLINGWOOD
Before Trade Period: 36, 51, 54
After Trade Period: 52, 55, 58
ESSENDON
Before Trade Period: 9, 31
After Trade Period: 28, 31, 40, 46, 53, 54, 65
FREMANTLE
Before Trade Period: 10, 11, 18, 30, 66
After Trade Period: 14, 30, 67
GEELONG
Before Trade Period: 17, 38, 56, 74
After Trade Period: 45, 57, 75
GOLD COAST
Before Trade Period: 6, 13, 23, 29, 41, 49, 77
After Trade Period: 39, 41, 51, 61, 70, 76, 78
GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY
Before Trade Period: 15, 16, 21, 37, 52, 55, 73
After Trade Period: 15, 16, 21, 37, 56, 74
HAWTHORN
Before Trade Period: 14, 33, 70, 76
After Trade Period: 33, 71, 77
MELBOURNE
Before Trade Period: 5, 40, 48, 53, 64
After Trade Period: 5, 9
NORTH MELBOURNE
Before Trade Period: 2, 25, 43, 61, 67
After Trade Period: 2, 62
PORT ADELAIDE
Before Trade Period: 39, 57
After Trade Period: 13, 29, 36, 50
RICHMOND
Before Trade Period: 1, 24, 32, 42, 44, 50, 60, 69, 75
After Trade Period: 1, 6, 10, 11, 18, 20, 23, 24
ST KILDA
Before Trade Period: 7, 8, 27, 46
After Trade Period: 7, 8, 32, 47
SYDNEY
Before Trade Period: 19, 22, 58
After Trade Period: 19, 22, 44, 59
WEST COAST
Before Trade Period: 3, 26, 62
After Trade Period: 12, 26, 73
WESTERN BULLDOGS
Before Trade Period: 35, 47
After Trade Period: 17, 25, 35, 48

MORE PICKS TO CHANGE HANDS

The trade period might be over, but don’t expect that to be the end of pick swaps.

Almost every club has publicly stated that it is open to doing further trades to improve its draft hand in some way, either for this year or next year.

Clubs can still trade picks up to and during the draft, which will be held over two nights on November 20 and 21.

Richmond hasn’t ruled out trading at least one of its eight top 24 picks, potentially into next year’s draft.

GWS holds picks 15, 16 and 21 and the Giants are confident of finding three quality players in that range.

However, they could also look to package up at least two of those picks and move up the board.

The Western Bulldogs are another club who would like to climb into the very pointy end of this draft if they can.

“To have 17, 25 and 35 is really positive and all our future picks as well,” Bulldogs list manager Sam Power said on Thursday.

“So it gives us flexibility or might open up opportunities with live trading and being able to do different things on the night potentially, depending on how it plays out in front of us.”

North Melbourne has also indicated it is open to a “slight slide” from pick two, if the price is right.

Melbourne has picks five and nine and says it is “open to everything

WHY THE BOMBERS COULD LOOK LIKE HAWTHORN IN 2025

Essendon draft target Isaac Kako says he wants to bring a bit of arch rival Hawthorn to Tullamarine, declaring that AFL players need to show “more personality”.

The best small forward in this year’s draft pool, Kako is destined for the Bombers after the club completed a pick swap with Melbourne during the trade period on Tuesday.

Essendon handed over pick 9 to the Dees, but still has sufficient points to match a bid on Next Generation Academy member Kako, which could come inside the top 10 on draft night.

A 176cm livewire, Kako models his game on the likes of Izak Rankine, Shai Bolton and Kozzy Pickett as a goalkicking forward who can also provide an occasional spark through the midfield.

However, he also kept a close eye on the Hawthorn forwards this year as a player who enjoys a goal celebration himself.

“I love watching them play and their forward line’s doing something pretty special,” Kako said of the Hawks.

“We definitely need a bit more personality, I feel. You look at the other sports like the NBA and the NFL and they’re always getting around each other with their celebrations. It’s good to see what Hawthorn is doing and hopefully we can implement a bit more of it.

“When your opponent’s giving you a bit of grief then you’ve got to give it back to them when you kick a goal.

Essendon NGA prospect Isaac Kako wants to bring more energy to the AFL, much like the Hawthorn forwards did this year. Picture: Getty Images
Hopefully I’ll get a few more celebrations under my belt and get a signature one going.”

Kako booted 12 goals in one game for Pascoe Vale’s under-16s in the Essendon District Football League in 2022 and regularly hit the scoreboard throughout this year.

He booted eight majors across four games for Vic Metro during the under-18 national championships, along with averaging 18.7 disposals, 7.7 score involvements and 1.7 goals in 12 games for the Calder Cannons in the Coates Talent League.

The 18-year-old’s season was ended early after he suffered a syndesmosis injury which required surgery in August, but Kako expects to be fully fit to attack an AFL pre-season.

“Everything’s on track,” he said earlier this month.

“It’s the game we play. You’re always going to get all these little niggles and injuries.”

Kako grew up an Essendon supporter, with Leroy Jetta being his favourite player.

He has been part of the Bombers’ Academy since age 12 and spent two weeks training at Tullamarine last summer.

“It would be nice to end up anywhere. AFL football is AFL football,” Kako said.

“But I’ve had a soft spot for them (the Bombers) my whole life so it would be special to end up there.”
port still think they have get to a draft pick above us with their draft hand. 🤣 this is not 2018.

some things that would help really before the draft

1. afl unexpectedly announce a veterans spot on top of list outside salary cap (walker)
2. burgess decides to pull up stumps and get paid out
3. smith and schoey are then delisted and re-rookied but hopefully smith gets picked up

then we could play at this draft. i cant see any reason why we would want to play next year when we can play this year.

If there is any movement at all on our part and we do manage to generate that extra list spot and are wanting to trade with richmond for say pick 10, i would hope that travaglia sits the very top of the tree in terms of who we target. I'd also rather it be an on draft night trade so we either get our primary target or if one of the top players slides (ala Curtin last year) after we have picked at 4, or we take a project ruck at the back end of the draft and just hold our F1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If there is any movement at all on our part and we do manage to generate that extra list spot and are wanting to trade with richmond for say pick 10, i would hope that travaglia sits the very top of the tree in terms of who we target. I'd also rather it be an on draft night trade so we either get our primary target or if one of the top players slides (ala Curtin last year) after we have picked at 4, or we take a project ruck at the back end of the draft and just hold our F1.
Bickley floating the idea of us taking Draper @ 4 .
Then also noting a player like “Murpy Reid” is our other need because of his kicking.

Bickley floating the idea of us taking Draper @ 4 .
Then also noting a player like “Murpy Reid” is our other need because of his kicking.
Reid lacks speed and size for mine, nice player no doubt skills wise but not a pick 4 for mine.
Xavier Lindsay more dynamic and as good or better in the kicking department if that was the criteria.

I’ve got a sneaky suspicion we’ll take Langford regardless
Hey mate, I genuinely can’t recall how your recent trade predictions went with your industry sources. I do recall you saying earlier in the year that Keane wanted out to Pies weeks before this became news in the media.

Did many of your recent predictions play out as expected? And what’s your above comment based on? Intel? Or personal view?

Reid lacks speed and size for mine, nice player no doubt skills wise but not a pick 4 for mine.
Xavier Lindsay more dynamic and as good or better in the kicking department if that was the criteria.
agree on reid. its a no. i'll have another look at lindsay.

really want lalor or jagga but reckon they will be gone so it will be draper i would think.

Hey mate, I genuinely can’t recall how your recent trade predictions went with your industry sources. I do recall you saying earlier in the year that Keane wanted out to Pies weeks before this became news in the media.

Did many of your recent predictions play out as expected? And what’s your above comment based on? Intel? Or personal view?
Just based in a few comments on Bigfooty that Hamish likes him. So, really, I have no idea. By suspicion is more based on Hamish’s love of surprising everyone.

I do however like Langford as a player

I dont.

They arent going to trade their F1 for 11. We might. Obviously we need to parcel the F3s into an F2 first.

West Coast have 2 x 2025 firsts, North desperately want a tall and Armstrong/Tauru/Trainer all around that pick.

Also add Essendon to the mix 2 x 2025 firsts.

Also add GC also. 3 x 2025 firsts might try to get back in after the Lombard pick.

We need a second coming back in and another list spot. I reckon we'd be a long shot for it.

West Coast have 2 x 2025 firsts, North desperately want a tall and Armstrong/Tauru/Trainer all around that pick.

Also add GC also. 3 x 2025 firsts might try to get back in after the Lombard pick.

We need a second coming back in and another list spot. I reckon we'd be a long shot for it.
fair enough on WC that makes sense

North are not trading whats going to be pick 2 (future first) for pick 11. it would need to be 10 and 11 and richmond wont do that.

also tauru will be gone at 5 if they dont pick him at 2

WCE are not trading out any of their future 1sts - you can rule a line through that as they are after Warner from Sydney end of next year and will make a big play for him. Its why they were keen for future picks

While you're here, and thanks for turning up with some interesting info, a few questions:

1) Do you think North will trade down?
2) If so, how low do you think North would want to trade down?
3) Who do you think they're targetting?

1) Yes, but might not be until draft night.

2) #6. Rawlings has mentioned a few times we will only slide "3-4 spots"

3) Tauru

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back