Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

As long as our team don't get cute and reach for a player...just go the best talent and it seems almost universal now that is one of FOS, Lalor, Smith or Draper
Ive also come to accept that potentially Draper may be gone by Pick 4, but that also means most likely we will have either FOS or Smith, which will be welcomed much needed additions to our midfield.

I agree, but if we could get up to pick 2 and take our number 1 guy (that we wouldn't get at 4) I would hope they do that.
Depends on the cost. Our F1 should be off the table no matter what.

If we can get a F2 with two F3s, then I'd give that.

IMO, those 4 are so even... any further cost than that it becomes not worth it.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Carlton takes Draper in that scenario (they need straight-line speed), but yeah it’ll basically be that IMO
As I mentioned earlier, it just means we get either Smith or FOS.

Tbh the real risk pick in this draft could be with Carlton if they go Draper at 3, as they would have had the option of a quality Vic kid ie FOS or Smith.

Seeing early 1sts like Luko, Rankine and JHF return home, surely has to give them some pause.

Depends on the cost. Our F1 should be off the table no matter what.

If we can get a F2 with two F3s, then I'd give that.

IMO, those 4 are so even... any further cost than that it becomes not worth it.
You 'might' also find North prepared to drop to 4 if they are happy with one of Smith, FOS or Lalor OR...at 4 with one of those still on board, they could look to slide a bit further back with a side inside the top 10 on the night to garner an extra later 1st maybe..so could end up with a future pick and an extra 1st and still be picking well inside the top 10..just a thought.

You 'might' also find North prepared to drop to 4 if they are happy with one of Smith, FOS or Lalor OR...at 4 with one of those still on board, they could look to slide a bit further back with a side inside the top 10 on the night to garner an extra later 1st maybe..so could end up with a future pick and an extra 1st and still be picking well inside the top 10..just a thought.

I expect North to slide back, I just don't think we should be the buyer.

They don't need to add another Mid. I think Lalor suits them best with his ability to go forward, but wouldn't be surprised to see them slide back and take a KPF

Birthdates always of interest to Recruiters.. oldest to youngest of those in discussion for our pick noting Levi Ashcroft at 18/12/2006 is the youngest of the top 10 or so.

Jagga Smith - 28/01/2006
Bo Allan - 16/02/2006
Harvey Langford - 15/03/2006
Josh Smillie - 17/05/2006
Finn O'Sullivan - 30/05/2006
Sid Draper - 05/07/2006
Murphy Reid - 30/07/2006
Sam Lalor - 30/08/2006

Huh.

I am so old.

Tbh the real risk pick in this draft could be with Carlton if they go Draper at 3, as they would have had the option of a quality Vic kid ie FOS or Smith.

Seeing early 1sts like Luko, Rankine and JHF return home, surely has to give them some pause.
I think Draper seems like the high quality character type that would like to stick it out with one club provided all goes well for him (same with all of that quartet) - though money does talk

I expect North to slide back, I just don't think we should be the buyer.

They don't need to add another Mid. I think Lalor suits them best with his ability to go forward, but wouldn't be surprised to see them slide back and take a KPF
Oh sure..although if our guys want to try and ensure Draper, then getting that F2 from some of our F3's to then give to North on the night which would still allow North to further trade if they wanted. Its just a trade with us keeps them in the zone for one of the top 4 so the purchase cost for us to move up may not be too great (ie not a F1) and if it guarantees Draper, the club may say that is a small price to pay.

Oh sure..although if our guys want to try and ensure Draper, then getting that F2 from some of our F3's to then give to North on the night which would still allow North to further trade if they wanted. Its just a trade with us keeps them in the zone for one of the top 4 so the purchase cost for us to move up may not be too great (ie not a F1) and if it guarantees Draper, the club may say that is a small price to pay.
By draft night, teams (and players) usually know how the Top 10 will almost exactly pan out, so it will be interesting if by that time, we know if Draper falls to us at 4 or to the Blues at 3.

Our only avenue to get ahead would be to deal with North if the Blues are keen. It seems to change every few days on their board.

I really love our spot in the draft.

Each of Lalor, FOS, Jagga and Draper provide a point of difference that we need.

Would be happy to sit and take whoever falls to us out of that lot. Hopefully Haggis thinks the same!
Agreed. Even being 2 spots further back could mean missing these 4 and perhaps even Langford. In a sense - assuming Hamish doesn’t do anything stupid - we sit back and take a real quality option that’s left over without the stress of choosing - unless we trade up to 2 to guarantee someone (Draper perhaps if we feel Blues are going to take him)

Rival clubs spoken to foxfooty.com.au on Thursday believe the Tigers are strongly considering three players at Pick 1: Powerful GWV Rebels forward-midfielder Sam Lalor, star Oakleigh Chargers midfielder Finn O’Sullivan and Oakleigh Chargers ball magnet Jagga Smith. Big-bodied Dandenong Stingrays Harvey Langford is an outside chance, too.

The big pick haul gives Richmond ample options and flexibility heading into the national draft to select strategically. For instance, they could take a pure midfielder like O’Sullivan or Smith at Pick 1 then acquire a gun key-position player at their next selection, which is currently Pick 6.

But could that next selection end up coming earlier?

I think this is how it will eventually pan out.

1. Rich Lalor
2. North FOS
3. Carl Smith
4. Adel Draper
I reckon it will be this

1 Rich Lalor
2 Rich Smith
3 Blues Draper
4 Crows FOS or Langford wouldn’t surprise

Tiges much better placed to get 2 from Kangas than we are unfortunately (we could try and bluff Kangas we will take their favoured tall at pick 4 if they do the Tiges swap but probably not believable) Would love Draper but just have a feeling it ain’t going to happen

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree BUT it’s mainly the weaker teams that lose gun players. The 3 you mentioned being Suns and Kangas.

Blues don’t lose too many top end draft picks and have attracted a HEAP over the years (brown paper bags might still exist! - is this why they are known as “the baggers”?) and even Houston stated that was his preference

I reckon it will be this

1 Rich Lalor
2 Rich Smith
3 Blues Draper
4 Crows FOS or Langford wouldn’t surprise

Tiges much better placed to get 2 from Kangas than we are unfortunately (we could try and bluff Kangas we will take their favoured tall at pick 4 if they do the Tiges swap but probably not believable) Would love Draper but just have a feeling it ain’t going to happen
Its definitely an intriguing draft, as pick swaps can be a game changer as to who we get at 4.

Definitely believed if the Eagles still had 3, they would have taken Draper, as a Vic kid is also just as much a flight risk.

Blues would take Draper with the potential flight risk still being there but not with FOS. I guess it depends really now how much better is Draper compared to FOS to justify the risk? I dont think its Ebert vs Danger levels.

Saw this post on the Blues, board, its a long one so easier to post the link, but it appears their posters tend to think/agree "today" that Draper is a red flag for them.

Saw this post on the Blues, board, its a long one so easier to post the link, but it appears their posters tend to think/agree "today" that Draper is a red flag for them.

Don't mind it, pretty balanced analysis

Port have made thier delistings
I would rookie Scully if we had room
I liked Kyle Marshall as a KPD option in his draft year, but he hasn’t really kicked on since he was on the list.

Anyone watched his games to see if he’s worth keeping an eye on?

Agree on Scully, he was always going to need 3-4 years before his body filled out.

I think Draper seems like the high quality character type that would like to stick it out with one club provided all goes well for him (same with all of that quartet) - though money does talk
Following on from that thought, do you get a vibe from FOS or JS that they are potential flight risks?

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back