Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

This guy seems to have next level analysis - not that I have watched that much - but good analysis on top 4-5 mid prospects (will ensure it’s one of the ones linked below).

First video is best for his analytics - FOS, Smith, Draper , Lalor is the ratings (just for something completely different haha)

Note - some outdated as done weeks ago

See 6 minute 30 seconds for talk of pick 2 options. Suggests they get 6 and 17 from Tiges allowing 2 x KPP which makes sense with their squad

Last edited:
Oh sure..although if our guys want to try and ensure Draper, then getting that F2 from some of our F3's to then give to North on the night which would still allow North to further trade if they wanted. Its just a trade with us keeps them in the zone for one of the top 4 so the purchase cost for us to move up may not be too great (ie not a F1) and if it guarantees Draper, the club may say that is a small price to pay.
I'd be OK moving up to pick 2, then taking whomever of Lalor or FOS gets past pick 1.

[emoji6][emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]" data-quote="Cromulant" data-source="post: 0" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
Why ??

You don't like Curtin ??

I don’t like having so much draft capital with a player that doesn’t have a clear set position - and comes from interstate - as a combo

He can play - and play anywhere - but I am not sure there is a regular first 18 spot for him yet. Maybe it’s coming off the bench rotating through the forward line and wing. But he doesn’t start as a forward and I can’t see him starting as a wing at this stage

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Questions for those closer to the action than us outsiders …

How much pretend stuff goes on with what each club is doing? What chance is there that a club puts out a furphy - or sells candy on who they are after that actually works? Feels like it sometimes but actually we usually go with “honesty and truth” over “alls fair in love, war and business”.

How professional - searching for any edge is the whole shebang now?

I notice a massive difference in how we look compared to the US sports. We seem very backyard and primitive.

“Draft Day” was 2014 and I’d be shocked if we were still anywhere near that Hollywood inspired level just because of the $$$ gap.

Nervously cheering my beloved Dodgers in the final League Champ game - even before the game walking across the diamond, players and coaches were covering their mouths. It’s just automatic for them to expect someone to be watching.

I can’t imagine anywhere near that level of professionalism when Hamish is chatting to a country coach while leaning up against the local footy oval fence about our plans.

Sure, Ohtani is on a 10-year US$700 million contract - so not comparing apples and oranges - but are we getting better as an industry at closing the gaps?

Do AFL clubs do everything they can to squeeze every drop of juice out of the lemon - including throwing out wild geese to muddy the waters?

My gut feeling is Blues may actually want him at 3. That’s why Reidy tried so hard to keep our second rounder which Kangas perhaps requested to slide from pick 2 to pick 4. All total conjecture.
Did we try hard to keep our second rounder?

I thought we were comfortable giving it up from a long way out

It’s the tightest and hottest Pick 1 draft race in almost a decade.

But while uncertainty remains over which prospect Richmond will select with the first selection of next month’s draft, the class’ most prolific ball magnet – Oakleigh Chargers midfielder Jagga Smith – is the favourite among his peers.

Club recruiters and draft pundits have studied the 2024 field over several years. But foxfooty.com.au asked 19 players in this year’s draft class which player they’d take at Pick 1.

Seven of them, including Peel Thunder star Bo Allan, said Smith.

“It’s pretty hard to overlook Jagga,” Allan told foxfooty.com.au.

“He’s just a ball-getter, uses it well, he’s so composed and he has so much time. He’s very slippery and moves well, I think.

“He just has a natural skillset and knowledge to be Pick 1 worthy.”

The Tigers are strongly considering three players at Pick 1: Smith, GWV Rebels forward-midfielder Sam Lalor and Oakleigh Chargers midfielder Finn O’Sullivan. Big-bodied Dandenong Stingrays Harvey Langford is an outside chance, too.

Interestingly, no prospect surveyed at the draft combine nominated Lalor, despite rival clubs believing he’s the minor favourite to be taken by Richmond with the No. 1 pick, at this stage.

Lalor, rather, was one of four players to nominate O’Sullivan, declaring he had “the most upside” of any prospect.

“He’s a very good runner, aerially he is so good,” Lalor told foxfooty.com.au.

“He probably has the best step in the draft, every time he touches the ball, he just does something good.”

Josh Smillie's certainly not short on confidence.

View attachment 2149400
Sick Vomit GIF by CBS

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be OK moving up to pick 2, then taking whomever of Lalor or FOS gets past pick 1.

I totally agree with this.

If we have a talent order and our first or second pick is there at number 2 then we need to be trading up. Not waiting till 4 for the left over.

We're at the stage of the rebuild now where we need to focus on quality at each position. If we rate someone higher then I hope they're throwing an attractive trade at North to move up.

Next year we have picks galore to get trades over the line or repoisition in the draft with 2025, 2026 and 2027 picks available for trade.

I totally agree with this.

If we have a talent order and our first or second pick is there at number 2 then we need to be trading up. Not waiting till 4 for the left over.

We're at the stage of the rebuild now where we need to focus on quality at each position. If we rate someone higher then I hope they're throwing an attractive trade at North to move up.

Next year we have picks galore to get trades over the line or repoisition in the draft with 2025, 2026 and 2027 picks available for trade.
Will we need some for f/s ? Mark stevens son

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back