Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe. I have mused on that before and if we look to trade a few of our F3's for a F2 - I would not rule out North trading pick 2 for our 4 + F2 IF they are happy with any of the big 4 (staying inside the accepted top 4 players may give us an edge on that...possibly) OR if they then want to further trade down with a club who wants Jagga Smith say at 4. They could mop up extra picks doing that.
Why would we want to trade that F2 away for. We should be looking at trading back a couple of spots and getting either a second rounder or a high Future pick. Why give ours away to move up 2 spots when the top5 are so even. Doesn't make sense to me.

I disagree. He is more than capable to come in and play ruck as he positions really well, marks well ad moves around the ground fine. Yes a bit undersized at 198 cms, but its his strength and positioning that will get him out of jail at that level imo
I just don't see it personally, he'd just jumped all over at AFL level.

Worth a shot as a backup ?? Sure why not but he's not and won't be a lead ruck at AFL level.

I just don't see it personally, he'd just jumped all over at AFL level.

Worth a shot as a backup ?? Sure why not but he's not and won't be a lead ruck at AFL level.
New ruck rules have made it much easier for strong bodied ruckmen to combat the more athletically gifted rucks in the actual ruck contests, not that Boyd would be any more than ruck back up at AFL level probably superior to Strachan given he's younger and far stronger, seems to cover the ground well at SANFL level.

New ruck rules have made it much easier for strong bodied ruckmen to combat the more athletically gifted rucks in the actual ruck contests, not that Boyd would be any more than ruck back up at AFL level probably superior to Strachan given he's younger and far stronger, seems to cover the ground well at SANFL level.

I don't see him being THAT much of an upgrade.

Not against giving him a crack mind you.

Can we delist a player after the draft?

Let's say Dodson is still there at 28 (unlikely) and we can get a deal done with Essendon for the pick before Port. Can we take him and then delist Burgess/Strachan after the draft? Or does the spot have to be open before the draft? Meaning we'd be putting Welsh in jeopardy waiting for the rookie draft?
I have been wondering re this. Time to call in the expert Vader

Can we go one over our total list size on the night (say pick 4, Welsh at 60 ish AND an additional pick we create thru using 2025 draft collateral? And then obviously need to immediately delist and pay someone out soon afterwards?

My gut feeling is no that’s not possible but defer to your potential knowledge re this.

Clearly if it’s NOT possible we may still look at delisting and paying someone out before the draft if we feel there is a reasonable prospect of taking an extra pick on the night.

I have been wondering re this. Time to call in the expert Vader

Can we go one over our total list size on the night (say pick 4, Welsh at 60 ish AND an additional pick we create thru using 2025 draft collateral? And then obviously need to immediately delist and pay someone out soon afterwards?

My gut feeling is no that’s not possible but defer to your potential knowledge re this.

Clearly if it’s NOT possible we may still look at delisting and paying someone out before the draft if we feel there is a reasonable prospect of taking an extra pick on the night.
No. There are 2 List Lodgements between now & the draft - 31st October and 13th November. I'm not 100% certain what needs to be done by each of these LL dates, but we can't delist any additional players after LL2.

No disrespect, but that seems like a horrible idea.

Any of the top five mids have been in discussion as a possible pick 1.

There's no downside to picking at 4 - we'll still have two really topline mids to choose from.

Hey mate, completely fair point but for me at this point in a rebuild I value quality over quantity.

My thinking hinges on AFC recruiters having a clear favourite and him being there at pick 2. Maybe they don’t and they’re happy with Langford at 4. No need to move. Happy days.

But if they do, and he is available, the way I look at it is the player were taking next year at 12 is likely not essential to our next premiership, but the guy we are taking at the pointy end of this draft is… so why not get our favourite of the 4 this year at the expense of next years pick (4 + F1 for 2 + F2).

Let’s say our guy is FOS and we have him a full tier above the other guys on our rankings which is very possible. Just because Cal Twomey says the top 5 are all even, doesn’t mean our recruiters do. Move up, have the best guy we can.

We did it last year, why not again.

Target NWM or a free agent next year instead of going to the draft.

Massive difference between the 2 though, I mean Strachan is a dominant SANFL ruck.

Harry is an undersized ruck in AFL terms, I mean if clubs liked him he'd already be there
Boyd is 1cm shorter than Nank and 6kg heavier. I don't think he'd have too many issues at least holding his own. Height not always translates to strength. Wouldn't dominate of course like at SANFL level but he's incredibly strong and the ruck rules suit the brawlers like Harry right now. He'd be on the higher end of backup/2nd ruck level. I'd love to see him get a crack at least.

Langford has a cannon boot, but doesn’t have close to the kicking accuracy Dawson has

In my view, you’ve gotta have at least some level of athleticism (doesn’t have to be pace, can be as much as a nice sidestep) to be a high level midfielder. I haven’t seen that from Langford

He’s got a number of very good AFL traits, but I’m not nearly as confident he has the same ceiling as the quartet that’s been most talked about here
Endurance is an athletic trait ?

His in game work rate to cover the ground and link up is better than almost anyone in this draft

I hitched my wagon to Sam Lalor for this year's best draftee early last season and even though he's had a less than ideal season with niggles I've seen enough when he has played obviously underdone to not think about wavering in my initial thoughts. He's the Unicorn in this year's midfield laden draft.
Yep he’s my # 1 too , the most stand out traits

Endurance is an athletic trait ?

His in game work rate to cover the ground and link up is better than almost anyone in this draft
More talking about immediate athletic traits like speed, agility and acceleration, rather than endurance

It’s why I think he could be very good on the outside, but when it comes to inside effectiveness, I’m not so sure

The bigger question is how many games in 2025?
Lalor and Draper not a huge amount due to getting bodies right , maybe 10-12 ? Lalor likely plays forward mostly

Smith plenty of games as long as puts some size on and plays some outside roles at times

Can see FOS playing quite a bit but not too much in centre square , could see him off a half back using his skill like Sheezel and Mckercher did in year 1

Langford I could see playing quite a bit as has endurance base , size and body reeilience , think he plays both inside and outside in year 1

Smillie plays most weeks in year 1 I think

In summary smith and Langford I think play the most then FOS

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont think Langford is Ned but reading the '' can run for days'' has me shivering
192cm contested marker with a 60m kick , very Ned 😂

*I know you’re just joking

Said it a few weeks ago and I know Ashcroft and Smith posted bigger numbers but I reckon Langford was the best performed player this year across all comps

His game has lots of penetration so plenty of hurt factor

Got him rated 6th on my list but it’s all very tight at the top

Lalor and Draper not a huge amount due to getting bodies right , maybe 10-12 ? Lalor likely plays forward mostly

Smith plenty of games as long as puts some size on and plays some outside roles at times

Can see FOS playing quite a bit but not too much in centre square , could see him off a half back using his skill like Sheezel and Mckercher did in year 1

Langford I could see playing quite a bit as has endurance base , size and body reeilience , think he plays both inside and outside in year 1

Smillie plays most weeks in year 1 I think

In summary smith and Langford I think play the most then FOS
Yeah just some posters are putting him in round 1

It was also an allusion to the way we develop players - run the lines in the SANFL first

192cm contested marker with a 60m kick , very Ned 😂

*I know you’re just joking

Said it a few weeks ago and I know Ashcroft and Smith posted bigger numbers but I reckon Langford was the best performed player this year across all comps

His game has lots of penetration so plenty of hurt factor

Got him rated 6th on my list but it’s all very tight at the top
If Draper had been injury free and we could see how he played in the back end of the SANFL season, do you think he might have firmed for the pick 1 position?

Re who ? Draper has pars defect , any games until he’s fully grown and matured are a bonus

If wanting guys to play next year hope for Langford or Smith
Yes Draper

Some keep saying 4 new inclusions from round 1 etc

If Draper had been injury free and we could see how he played in the back end of the SANFL season, do you think he might have firmed for the pick 1 position?
Nope, disposal is clearly not as good as those around him at the top end, has a lot of elite traits but disposal is not one of them.

That doesn't necessarily mean he won't go pick 1 but it's going to depend on how much recruiters mark him down on that aspect of his game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back