List Mgmt. 2024 AFL Draft (Picks 13, 29, 36, 50, 94, 112, 130)

Remove this Banner Ad

If we don't make any trades

13: Hotton
29: Gerryne or Sims
36: Urquhart
50: Day-Wicks/Murphy/Bowman

I just don't know who comes through to 13 which will become 16 and that is really driving me crazy because normally by now you'd have some sort of indication

I tend to think Xavier Lindsay would be a good winger. Good ball user and fast.

I’m nowhere near as big on him as others are. Doesnt run n carry, tends to just kick as long as he can without looking for a target. Does have the best handball in the class though

I feel like we have one outstanding need and then three lesser needs.

Ultra need - power forward
Need - Aliir replacement - KPD, Rioli replacement - gun small forward, Wines replacement - gun midfielder, preferably big bodied

With our NGA and Father/Sons, Benny Barrett is a small forward which is a need and Rome Burgoyne IIRC is a back flanker.

Pick 13 - BPA with an eye to KPF or mid. Grab the out and out talent like Hotton, Allan, Smilie, Reid, Tauru, Travaglia or lock up our KPF for the next 10 years with Jobe Shanahan.
Pick 29 - I like Hannaford like a lot of people on here. Go the opposite of pick 13 unless something is irresistible.
Pick 36 - Gerreyn, Sims
Pick 50 - a guy on pure potential

If I was a betting man and if they keep 13, I reckon they won't be able to resist Hotton.
If they are prudent, they would grab Shanahan.

I’m nowhere near as big on him as others are. Doesnt run n carry, tends to just kick as long as he can without looking for a target. Does have the best handball in the class though
Some of his kicks can be Dylan Williams like and pick the eyes out and nail a guy in traffic and start a scoring involvement from the backline. It is probably up there as his best asset.
He gets most of his possessions in the back half though.

I like him but only at pick 29.

Some of his kicks can be Dylan Williams like and pick the eyes out and nail a guy in traffic and start a scoring involvement from the backline. It is probably up there as his best asset.
He gets most of his possessions in the back half though.

I like him but only at pick 29.
Agreed. His kicking is actually really good and ambitious. Pretty sure je has played on the wing. I don’t think he’ll be there at 29 unfortunately and reckon he may land around 16-20.

Need - Aliir replacement - KPD, Rioli replacement - gun small forward, Wines replacement - gun midfielder, preferably big bodied

With our NGA and Father/Sons, Benny Barrett is a small forward which is a need and Rome Burgoyne IIRC is a back flanker.

Pick 13 - BPA with an eye to KPF or mid. Grab the out and out talent like Hotton, Allan, Smilie, Reid, Tauru, Travaglia or lock up our KPF for the next 10 years with Jobe Shanahan.
Pick 29 - I like Hannaford like a lot of people on here. Go the opposite of pick 13 unless something is irresistible.
Pick 36 - Gerreyn, Sims

If I was a betting man and if they keep 13, I reckon they won't be able to resist Hotton.
How does Shanahan compare to Gerreyn?

Pick 36 - Gerreyn, Sims

If hannaford is there at 29 that would be perfect. He looks a very likely type for the way we want to play.

We need a balance though like you suggest. 13 has to be best available and will depend on who slides. I think it would be hard to go past trainor. We also need to find a tall and all the talk is we are keen on Gerreyn. Dodson would also be good. If we could get that pick 36 up into the 20’s somehow I feel we are a better chance at covering off all of our needs.

Bring back the draft podcasts, you gave good coverage of everyone. I can kind of remember you loving Esava haha. The Drewwy reaction was gold too.

Agreed. His kicking is actually really good and ambitious. Pretty sure je has played on the wing. I don’t think he’ll be there at 29 unfortunately and reckon he may land around 16-20.

How does Shanahan compare to Gerreyn?
Later in the year, Shanahan played for the Essendon VFL side and continued to kick bags of goals against grown men. He's more of a forward who kicks goals. Good forward craft, nice hand pass, good timing on leads, good kick for goal. Decent contested mark but could improve.

Gerreyn played really well as a ruck who can go forward. Played ruck for Colts and half forard for WAFL late. Has very good skills for a big man. Will be a monster when he hits the weight room. I really like his kicking. Legit 50 metre kick for goal. Likes a bounce. Good mark. He gets around the ground well. He is kinda like Brendon Lade, intelligent ruck but can rest forward, that type of player. When marking inside 50, he stamps the ground. Kinda cool. If we got him at 29, I'd be pretty happy.

Last edited:
If hannaford is there at 29 that would be perfect. He looks a very likely type for the way we want to play.

We need a balance though like you suggest. 13 has to be best available and will depend on who slides. I think it would be hard to go past trainor. We also need to find a tall and all the talk is we are keen on Gerreyn. Dodson would also be good. If we could get that pick 36 up into the 20’s somehow I feel we are a better chance at covering off all of our needs.
Hannaford at 29 would be awesome.

He reminds me a bit of Darren Bewick for some reason.

I'm a big Trainor fan but he's had concussion issues.

Bring back the draft podcasts, you gave good coverage of everyone. I can kind of remember you loving Esava haha. The Drewwy reaction was gold too.

I had him at 78 in my rankings so didnt love him too much. A sum of my notes said quick, big leap, powerful mark, raw, could be anything or nothing

This'll probably change heaps of times between now and November 20, but currently, my ideal draft is:

13(16): Slider (Reid? o_O or Tauru?) / Lindsay / Hotton / Hynes / Davis
29: Hamish Davis
36: Tom Sims
50: Clancy Dennis

Reid sliding would be my all time yes moment, but I don't think he will. Tauru has jumped up boards as well, so very unlikely. Xavier Lindsay I feels like a smaller Hayden Young to me and I think his leadership qualities would be welcome. Hotton is doing all the right things through his ACL injury. Hynes is a Zurhaar type hopefully without the doucheness.

I think I'm the biggest Hamish Davis fan here and I'm surprised he's not in Twomey's or Draft Central's power rankings. His consistency has been up and down, but the good is sooo good. To be honest, I'd be happy with him with our first pick. Here's a nice vid of playing in a WAFL elimination final:

I've mentioned Tom Sims as my fav key forward - tall, strong, pace, leap, aggression, ability to play as a second ruck. His kicking for goal has been inconsistent but his action and mechanics look quite good.

Clancy Dennis I think is a very solid key defender who is getting a bit slept on. Great hands, potential to be an excellent intercept mark and can make smart decisions with the ball - all the while being of a defend-first mindset.

I also love the big strong aggression of Charlie West as a key forward/backup ruck option. He has some tricks too, but would be a pretty long-term project and may be similar too similar to what we already have in Xavier Walsh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Later in the year, Shanahan played for the Essendon VFL side and continued to kick bags of goals against grown men. He's more of a forward who kicks goals. Good forward craft, nice hand pass, good timing on leads, good kick for goal. Decent contested mark but could improve.

Gerreyn played really well as a ruck who can go forward. Played ruck for Colts and half forard for WAFL late. Has very good skills for a big man. Will be a monster when he hits the weight room. I really like his kicking. Legit 50 metre kick for goal. Likes a bounce. Good mark. He gets around the ground well. He is kinda like Brendon Lade, intelligent ruck but can rest forward, that type of player. When marking inside 50, he stamps the ground. Kinda cool. If we got him at 29, I'd be pretty happy.
Watching the highlights package, Gerreyn the big aggressive, mobile and skillful Ruck/Forward, I could see him being the Aliir replacement. In the same way Walsh just competes and seems to hate to lose, I could see these two lads being fierce competitors at CHB and FB for 10-12 years. Defenders who hate to lose and ain’t ‘soft’ should be the backbone of our team moving forward.

Darren Mead was a Part time Ruck as a younger fella making his way also, before most of you scoff at the suggestion!

Watching the highlights package, Gerreyn the big aggressive, mobile and skillful Ruck/Forward, I could see him being the Aliir replacement. In the same way Walsh just competes and seems to hate to lose, I could see these two lads being fierce competitors at CHB and FB for 10-12 years. Defenders who hate to lose and ain’t ‘soft’ should be the backbone of our team moving forward.

Darren Mead was a Part time Ruck as a younger fella making his way also, before most of you scoff at the suggestion!

Seriously good kick.

I've reservations about his athletic ability, but if we’re eyeing him off, we think he’s a key forward.

Is a seriously good kick though and want him ball in hand forward.

Seriously good kick.

I've reservations about his athletic ability, but if we’re eyeing him off, we think he’s a key forward.

Is a seriously good kick though and want him ball in hand forward.
Yeah absolutely, not going to draft a bloke as a Rick/Forward and say play CHB on day one.

I’m always of the belief your best kicks play in the back 6, if you can hit targets on the exit/under pressure you don’t have to repeat efforts defensively. But also understand you want pretty skilled blokes kicking the red thing through the big uprights also.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 AFL Draft (Picks 13, 29, 36, 50, 94, 112, 130)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back