Autopsy 2024 AFL Season Round 17 vs Sydney Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Hunter is an enigma. He was good in the first half particularly. He's got limitations but he does have a real creative streak.

Snags had a big game. Reminded me of the best of Papley today.
One thing that is elite about Hunter is his ability to buy himself some time and space

Sometimes it will cause us to get pinged but bloke is class with the ball.

Any Byrnes haters care to make the case to delist him after that performance? Some wonderful kicking in there as well.

It's fine to have players on your list who might not be in form enough all the time to warrant selection, but are good enough if their form warrants selection. Premiership sides are replete with them.
Byrne's is one of those limited guys that will do everything and anything to get the best out of himself, and provide a contribution.
Seb Ross was the same...and made an AA shortlist and had two B&F's because of it
Hard to knock the guys that make the effort to get the best out of their talents.

Probably my favourite passage of play.

Just how good was Sinclair in those last incredible moments?

Poise
Anticipation
Desperation
Speed

2 minutes to go, 3 points in front. Swans everywhere.

Sincs just usain bolted from nowhere!

Could watch it a million times ❤️🤍🖤

X04XFKl.gif

Cataract friendly version for Austinnnnn:

LInOosO.gif

Last edited:

Another interesting week of coaches' votes:

10 Mattaes Phillipou (STK)
4 Chad Warner (SYD)
4 Liam Henry (STK)
3 Isaac Heeney (SYD)
3 Bradley Hill (STK)
2 Callum Wilkie (STK)
2 Oliver Florent (SYD)
1 Rowan Marshall (STK)
1 Jack Steele (STK)

Only thing they could agree on is that Pou was BOG. Apart from that every player was different. Two weeks in a row we've had 9 players get votes in our game.

I reckon that match shows that we need to redeploy him. Marshall has been given more licence to drop forward to excellent effect.

Some one needs to move him out of the deep post. Get him running up high, that was his best footy this season. Otherwise if we have him for 10 years, build his body up and turn him into a ruck forward. He's got natural talent but we are wasting it.

Sharman roaming around really rattled their zone. He wouldn't stop moving and it made them nervous. If that was Max they would have just sat a player in front of him all night and that would have made him disappear.
Where do want to redeploy king?

Hunter is an enigma. He was good in the first half particularly. He's got limitations but he does have a real creative streak.

Snags had a big game. Reminded me of the best of Papley today.
I feel for Hunter a bit. He was born in the wrong era, 10-15 years ago he could’ve been a good mid but in a field full of Ferraris he’s a titanic. Just physically can’t go with any of them anymore. Feels like the game is slowly going past him, he’s getting very low numbers for a midfielder.

4 Chad Warner (SYD)
4 Liam Henry (STK)
3 Isaac Heeney (SYD)
3 Bradley Hill (STK)
2 Callum Wilkie (STK)
2 Oliver Florent (SYD)
1 Rowan Marshall (STK)
1 Jack Steele (STK)

Only thing they could agree on is that Pou was BOG. Apart from that every player was different. Two weeks in a row we've had 9 players get votes in our game.
My guess
Lyon
Poo
Warner
Heeney
Florent
Marshall

Horse
Poo
Henry
Hill
Wilkie
Steele

Surely horse wouldn’t be giving the swans 4 3 2 1.

Last edited:
Tough win. Plenty to learn from at the same time.

About time we let a talented young player allowed to develop as a mid at Sandy rather than play them forward until they are so dearth of confidence they cannot get it back. Well done Pou.

Owens looks a better player without Max, allows him to play tall and contest it in the air more often. Still would love home to get more mid time to finish the year.

Wilkie, Dougs, Steele, battle were all very good.

Loved Henry’s game. If we can develop his contest work by 10-20% he could be a star.

Good to see Bynes back. Good, hard working role player.

Hopefully they send Bonner back to Sandy. He is just one outside player too many. Balance was better this week. Arie did struggle at times but can’t wait to see him after another pre season getting is body up to standard.

Excellent point, we are literally a bottom 6 team and the occasional good game doesn't cover up the absolute requirement for top end, high quality mids. The only place it seems we can get them from is the draft, and we only have one pick in the top ten.
I would hate to lose Battle, his worth in yesterday's game was for all to see, but there is no quality FA and even then we can't attract them and the AFL wont allow us to take quality assigned for the four AFL booster clubs in rugby states who can get as many NGA's as they can fit for rubbish picks AND keep their top end picks as well.

The difference between the Richmond game and last night was Saints blitzed in the first half to be 82 up at halftime. Went to sleep and won by 68.
Yesterday we went up early, got blitzed in the 2nd, fought back only for the umpires to gift Heeney two goals at the end of the third. Would have been deflating but we came out and ran over them in the 4th not allowing them to score a goal.
Yes we have deficiences, Lyon has made that loud and clear, our backline is a top four backline, our forward line is ok when Max is not there (afraid to say) but our mids are real soldiers but bottom four in the League. Steele is excellent then foot soldiers. I do however still have lots of hope for Pou, Windy, Wilson, first off and Garcia as well. If we get two top ten picks we have to nail the right wo high quality mids.
On the money - so on Sunday the Swans had Heeney, Gulden, Warner and Rowbottom running through the midfield with guys like Papley pinch hitting. Their sub was Taylor Adams ours was Ben Paton!

Plus Sydney will get back this week Mills & Parker to add to their midfield. Great win on Sunday but that’s the midfield quality and depth an elite team has!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

4 Chad Warner (SYD)
4 Liam Henry (STK)
3 Isaac Heeney (SYD)
3 Bradley Hill (STK)
2 Callum Wilkie (STK)
2 Oliver Florent (SYD)
1 Rowan Marshall (STK)
1 Jack Steele (STK)

Wilkie stiff there.

Poise
Anticipation
Desperation
Speed

X04XFKl.gif

Look at the two guys he busts through too. Couple of Brownlow faves.

Kick was intentional and brilliant too.

Elite

I feel for Hunter a bit. He was born in the wrong era, 10-15 years ago he could’ve been a good mid but in a field full of Ferraris he’s a titanic. Just physically can’t go with any of them anymore. Feels like the game is slowly going past him, he’s getting very low numbers for a midfielder.

We already have a Titanic, how about a QE2?

Poise
Anticipation
Desperation
Speed

X04XFKl.gif

The way he paddles the ball to himself at times you'd think he is playing basketball. Has it on a string.

Hi all, i had all but given up on Bigfooty due to all the whining bitches on here constantly criticising the club I love… and the club I appreciate so much because it is the unlucky club and it is the battling club and it is the world-against it club!
But I felt compelled to come back to this forum to send a message to all you keyboard warrior clowns who felt the need to give Dougal Howard and Jack Higgins and Brad Hill and any of our other soldiers a hard time…
and the message is…
Do yourself a favour…
Go out tomorrow and shout yourself a tub of vasaline (petroleum jelly for the tight arses - pun intended)
Then go and F$&k yourself!
And then buy yourself a Geelong membership and have a great life 😁🥳
Thank you ❤️

Attachments

• conor-mc-gregor-who-the-fook-is-that-guy.gif
    conor-mc-gregor-who-the-fook-is-that-guy.gif
    3.2 MB · Views: 29
These words from the AFL

"....when the Swan attempted to push off Webster in a marking contest and struck the Saints defender high".

Could they coat a careless downgrade in more icing? #wegotyourbackissac
Marking contest? The ball wasn’t even kicked to him until after he decked him with the upper cut to the nose!

Poise
Anticipation
Desperation
Speed

Could watch it a million times 🤍

X04XFKl.gif

Turn the brightness down on your monitor, your lime green grass is giving me cataracts. It's a great clip though!

That little list of nouns gave me an idea:

We should want all our players to have SPUD, not be spuds. They should all have...

Speed
Poise
Understanding and
Desperation

Any Byrnes haters care to make the case to delist him after that performance? Some wonderful kicking in there as well.

It's fine to have players on your list who might not be in form enough all the time to warrant selection, but are good enough if their form warrants selection. Premiership sides are replete with them.
He was a really useful links man in this game. I've never wanted him out, all good teams have players like this. If he's our Robert Eddy, I'm fine with that.

These words from the AFL

"....when the Swan attempted to push off Webster in a marking contest and struck the Saints defender high".

Could they coat a careless downgrade in more icing? #wegotyourbackissac
Is that hashtag paying homage to the Filths cheer squad? 🤪

But seriously, can our crowd please stop doing the Mason Wood chant. Every time I hear it I just think of the filth, obviously, but it feels a bit try hard - I for one, do not want to be associated with anything to do with that club.

Turn the brightness down on your monitor, your lime green grass is giving me cataracts.
Have adjusted the original post to take into account your potential eyeball issues 👍🏻

Remove this Banner Ad

Back