Marks
Below Avg
Tackles
Above Avg
Total Clearances
Average

Yeah one swallow doesn't make a summer either

His last two games 12 and 15 disposals =No thanks

He’s been too good in the VFL to leave out. Gets put into the seniors as a sub or in a pocket then his numbers drop. He’s probably like a Jones level player at his best that you’d hope that as a late bloomer he still has levels to go up.

People said the same thing about Flanders. He’s a top 25 afl player now.

Okay I'm going to stop being a sook now, sorry guys

My take is that we will hopefully get one of the big dog mids then be in no-mans land with 8. Therefore, I think we should split the pick for two picks in the teens which gives us 7, teens, teens, 24, 43. I think Ross Lyon said we wanted 4 or 5 top 40 picks

Best available at 7, if its Trainor then so be it. To maximise the talent we get in the teens, I think we should take a punt on Hotton who could've been a top 5 pick if he hadn't been injured. Joe Berry as a hybrid small forward/mid is also enticing as a forward half x-factor. Bo Allan as a big-bodied Jordan Dawson-type mid could cover missing out on Langford but he's pretty similar to Pou. Maybe we could also take a key forward in Shanahan. Then Hynes at 24 is ideal but wouldn't mind taking him in the late teens

You are not a sook. I would prefer 5 and 6 to 7 and 8 as well, it is just a different way of coping, seeing the best of a situation and beating Essendon, Geelong and Carlton make it worthwhile IMO.

Sometimes a slightly later pick can be ok. Takes the pressure off when a Taj Hotton is called or a Murphy Reid ( I know you don't like him, but I do), the surprise is not as great and if they become one of the best, the recruiters look like a genuis.

Still, like Pou, there could be a slide. North take Trainor, WCE prefer a local, GC take Rioli etc and any one of the top 6 mids slide.
The rung just below as you mentioned could be anything.
It all hinges on the Battle pick. Band1 and I can live with who they pick, band2, it is a disaster (except if we pick Jack Whitlock)

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

If we walk away with Langford and Reid we are laughing

Neither are blessed with break away speed but they are not as slow as some have suggested. Langford is actually an elite tackler so his movement in close and chase down speed are fine. Both know how to win the ball and get the ball going forward plus they bring 2 x goal kicking mids to the fore. Taj Hotton might be the smoky but I didnt see enough of him, Dalrymple possibly did.

Last edited:

Who is Jefferson is he injured or playing he hasn't got a game in Melbs forward now so they need a stop gap and Hayes is a good choice for them

He was their high draft pick KPF. In development still but apparently coming on well.

Okay I'm going to stop being a sook now, sorry guys

My take is that we will hopefully get one of the big dog mids then be in no-mans land with 8. Therefore, I think we should split the pick for two picks in the teens which gives us 7, teens, teens, 24, 43. I think Ross Lyon said we wanted 4 or 5 top 40 picks

Best available at 7, if its Trainor then so be it. To maximise the talent we get in the teens, I think we should take a punt on Hotton who could've been a top 5 pick if he hadn't been injured. Joe Berry as a hybrid small forward/mid is also enticing as a forward half x-factor. Bo Allan as a big-bodied Jordan Dawson-type mid could cover missing out on Langford but he's pretty similar to Pou. Maybe we could also take a key forward in Shanahan. Then Hynes at 24 is ideal but wouldn't mind taking him in the late teens

You’re raising legitimate points. I felt the same as you. We desperately need elite midfield talent and winning yesterday did push us back the draft order.

Sliding a few picks in the top 10 can be very significant. It depends on the draft and the needs of each club.

However I was at the game and I was swept up by the emotion of the finish. It was both exhilarating and magnificent.

It was fantastic to win in the manner we did because of the attitude of the majority Carlton crowd. They sooked and whined all day. Many of the comments around me reeked of self entitlement and how shit St Kilda is as a club. I was doing a slow burn during the game.

We got the run of the umpires in the first half but in the end they were getting everything. I think they received the last 10 free kicks.

I can see both sides of the argument. Wanting to win and build that feeling, but conversely wanting access to plum picks in the draft (which we haven’t had).

It’s actually okay to feel either way. Or both ways. Because we all love the club and want it to succeed.

I can see the Dees taking Armstrong or even Trainor.

A bit like the Dogs a few years ago, they are so desperate for key talls that they will just grab as many as possible in a short period

Plenty of water to go under the bridge in regards to the draft and the positioning we will have on the night. We are hoping for Band 1 for Battle, and we have no idea how much the first round will look after the trade period.

Regardless, having two top-10 picks will allow us to get two quality kids (hopefully both mids - would be nice if we get a slider, such as Lalor).

A bit like the Dogs a few years ago, they are so desperate for key talls that they will just grab as many as possible in a short period
I don’t think so, they’ve taken Jefferson and van rooyen as kpfs in the first round the last few drafts and tried to sell the house to recruit Bailey Humphreys who went to gc as an explosive mid/fwd. they will take Sam Lalor. In 5 years from now Petracca will be 34 and lalor will be 23 entering his prime. They’ll take him as best available no doubt.

If Melbourne keep Petracca and Oliver, it doesn't really make much sense for them to use the pick on a rookie. They'd wanna be all in for the now so surely it's up for grabs?

Armstrong makes sense in my head, but I've seen so many Demons fans say they love Lalor. Richmond fans do too so idk how he gets through both of them

Armstrong makes sense in my head, but I've seen so many Demons fans say they love Lalor. Richmond fans do too so idk how he gets through both of them
There is less consensus this year amongst clubs in terms of top prospects than any other draft in memory it seems. Twomey is usually much more certain than he has been at any point this year. I'd suggest there is very little correlation in terms of what supporters like and the reality of recruiters. For example, I wouldn't be slightly surprised if most clubs liked Langford far more than Lalor.

Last edited:
Neither are blessed with break away speed but they are not as slow as some have suggested. Langford is actually an elite tackler so his movement in close and chase down speed are fine. Both know how to win the ball and get the ball going forward plus they bring 2 x goal kicking mids to the fore. Taj Hotton might be the smoky but I didnt see enough of him, Dalrymple possibly did.
That would be the worry on Hotton. An excellent patch that could have tapered away or was it genuine? He doesn’t look like a centre square mid to my eye. Looks ineffective at clearances. Excellent speed and agility and skill around goal. Just not sure he’s going to be a mid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately no sound on the source broadcast.

Just when I think the race for pick 1 couldn't get any messier, we get a performance like this from Lalor. As powerful and dynamic a contested game as I've seen this year. He won his own footy at stoppage, took contested intercept marks around the ground, layed bumps and tackles. He was an unstoppable beast all game, although his kicking was a little more wayward than usual.

Just when I think the race for pick 1 couldn't get any messier, we get a performance like this from Lalor. As powerful and dynamic a contested game as I've seen this year. He won his own footy at stoppage, took contested intercept marks around the ground, layed bumps and tackles. He was an unstoppable beast all game, although his kicking was a little more wayward than usual.

This hurts 😂

He goes at 5 or 6 and Jack Higgins better run and hide. 😄

contested game is really good, looks powerful around stoppage, his kicking does let him down a little but his fundamentals are good so he will get better

He’s been too good in the VFL to leave out. Gets put into the seniors as a sub or in a pocket then his numbers drop. He’s probably like a Jones level player at his best that you’d hope that as a late bloomer he still has levels to go up.

People said the same thing about Flanders. He’s a top 25 afl player now.
If he is as good as Flanders he can join our mob if he wants ;)

Re Peatling, there is no disgrace in not cracking a regular spot in the GWS midfield.

If he costs us minimal and improves our list and most importantly our midfield it’s a no brainer

He'd be comfortably in our best 22 and if he does choose us, would be cheap in a trade. Fingers crossed it happens.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back