2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Everyone needs to relax about the draft picks sliding. Even at the top end it can be an absolute crapshoot. Freo went into 2019 with two top ten picks, missed out on Lachie Ash, Dylan Stephens and Fischer McAsey who all get taken right before... and end up having to settle for Caleb Serong and Hayden Young. If we can keep drafting the way we have been the last few years I'm really not that worried.

Albeit 8 after Ashcroft. Going to need some luck

It depends on the draft.

2012 was very hit or miss after pick 9.
2013 was all over the place, players like Freeman, Scharenberg, Kolodajnish and Billings top 10, but M Crouch, McStay, Merrett, Gardiner George Hewett, Nankurvis second round.
2014 had Degoey , Petracca, Brayshaw in the top 5, and hit or miss after that.
2015 was a strong top 5 , then hit or miss , but still some good players right through the first round.
2016 had a very strong top 4, then relatively ordinary, but Florent and Simpkin were there at 11 and 12.
2017 had a very strong 4 of the top 5 then pretty ordinary.
2018 was strong up to 12 or 13.
2019 was strong up to 13.
2020 covid year all over the place but not in the Saints picks.
2021 Hit or miss after Naz at 11th.
2022 Early days but seems to have very good players up until Pou and Hollands at 10 and 11.
2023 seems to be very good at least for the top 10. Wilson may well have been a "hit" in the hit or miss part.

Everyone needs to relax about the draft picks sliding. Even at the top end it can be an absolute crapshoot. Freo went into 2019 with two top ten picks, missed out on Lachie Ash, Dylan Stephens and Fischer McAsey who all get taken right before... and end up having to settle for Caleb Serong and Hayden Young. If we can keep drafting the way we have been the last few years I'm really not that worried.
Different drafts mate it’s hard to compare. Different years, imagine we had 2 top 10s in 2018? Rozzee and max king. Supporters are upset because something we’ve lacked for the last decade is elite midfield talent. As good as Steele is he’s still limited compared to the very best. In this draft there is a clear top5 stacked with elite midfield talent. The two players we’ve tried to absolutely sell the house for this year LDU pick 4 and Mccluggage pick3 that’s where you find them. In a nothing but dissapointing year for the club it’s reasonable for supporters to be upset at the fact we went from probably having the choice on our player we wanted to getting the scraps. Our last few drafts have been good yes but none of them will fix our long term issue by being elite midfielders and until then we just won’t compete with the very best. IMO players we sell the house for just won’t come to us compared to other clubs so I see it as we are going to have to draft them. I’m aware we can find the Chad warners at pick 39 but I’d rather not be throwing darts like we have for the last 10 years at kids like bytel who’s our midfield saviour who never end up coming on.

Will Day 13. Sam Flanders 11, Caleb Serong 8, Butters 12, Jy Simpkin 12.

Different drafts mate it’s hard to compare. Different years, imagine we had 2 top 10s in 2018? Rozzee and max king. Supporters are upset because something we’ve lacked for the last decade is elite midfield talent. As good as Steele is he’s still limited compared to the very best. In this draft there is a clear top5 stacked with elite midfield talent. The two players we’ve tried to absolutely sell the house for this year LDU pick 4 and Mccluggage pick3 that’s where you find them. In a nothing but dissapointing year for the club it’s reasonable for supporters to be upset at the fact we went from probably having the choice on our player we wanted to getting the scraps. Our last few drafts have been good yes but none of them will fix our long term issue by being elite midfielders and until then we just won’t compete with the very best. IMO players we sell the house for just won’t come to us compared to other clubs so I see it as we are going to have to draft them. I’m aware we can find the Chad warners at pick 39 but I’d rather not be throwing darts like we have for the last 10 years at kids like bytel who’s our midfield saviour who never end up coming on.
I'd probably agree re: LDU - trading out picks for him this year would be smart. McCluggage I completely disagree on. We do not need outside run, we need inside mids and inside mids only.

I definitely share your frustrations, and I totally agree on needing the best, but I do think it's worth noting how many guys we all thought would be ''the best'' have ended up being extremely middling footballers.

Here's a sample of players taken in the last ten drafts before Pick 8 along with what Cal Twomey had reported:

Josh Schache: The key forward is an excellent shot for goal, has a great engine plus the height to outmark most of the defenders he's matched up against. He kicked a record haul of 24 goals at the under-18 championships and is not a forward who needs heaps of touches to make a scoreboard impact.

Aaron Francis: The powerful defender is able to control games as a third tall, but in his stints up forward and in the midfield he has also been able to have a big say on games.

Jacob Hopper: Hopper is a midfielder who changes games through sheer will: he puts his body on the line, is a star at the clearances and enjoys pushing forward to hit the scoreboard.

Ben Ainsworth: Ainsworth established himself as one of the best players in this year's draft class as a bottom-ager in 2015 and is ready for his chance. He carries genuine excitement and energy.

Will Setterfield: Tall, mobile, tough and skillful, Setterfield ticks most of the key boxes as a modern midfielder who can impact a game.

Sam Petrevski-Seton: The West Australian midfielder remains one of the classiest, smoothest players in the pool. He can kick on both feet, make things happen, and see things unfolding that few others can. He can produce the unexpected moments on a regular basis.

Jack Scrimshaw: Scrimshaw presents as a really modern player and prototype who can be used across the field. In time he sees himself playing in the midfield and using his quick sidestep and clever evasiveness through traffic.

Andrew McGrath: McGrath presents as a player who will be able to go straight away. He's quick, powerful and competitive, and has the defensive mindset to step into an AFL side from the first moment. His leadership gives him an edge over some other contenders at the top of the draft, and he has shown great versatility across the season.

Paddy Dow: Carlton has long been linked to Dow and would get a quality, explosive, all-round midfield star in the Vic Country midfielder. Dow was an early-season riser up the draft board and has stayed there since. He's a great mix of traits that every club would want to bring into their midfield: he's tough and puts his head over the ball, he's quick, marks well above his head and can go forward to kick a goal (which he does with regularity).

Jaidyn Stephenson: Stephenson is a unique prospect, with a different set of skills and if cleared by Richmond medicos would be a draft bonus for the premiers. He is quick and sharp and nimble, he has a good leap, and he loves to dash away with the ball. He'll start his career in the forward line and is capable of kicking bags when given some space.

Lachlan Ash: The half-back flanker plays with genuine zip, taking the game (and opponents) on from defence and opening up the ground. He also has endurance to match his leg speed, and an uncompromising streak that saw him named as a co-captain of Vic Country.

Dylan Stephens: An Andrew Gaff-like midfielder who can find plenty of the ball and play as an inside or outside midfield option... The decision between Stephens and Serong would be line-ball.

Fischer McAsey: The Crows don't have much youth in their key-position ranks so McAsey shapes as a long-term player if they swoop. The strong-marking key back has also been used in attack at times, with his versatility and game sense a strength.

Will Phillips: The Oakleigh Chargers midfielder has been viewed as a top-10 player in this year's group for some time now, having starred for Vic Metro at the under-16s championships and then last year averaging 22 disposals and four tackles in the NAB League. Phillips is a midfield bull who extracts the ball at will, is sharp by hand and can also push forward and hit the scoreboard. He's tough, consistent and ready to play, and has been closely monitored throughout this season by clubs with early selections.

Denver Grainger-Barras: The best key defender in the draft. It's as simple as that when assessing Grainger-Barras' credentials, with some clubs also viewing him as the best player in the open pool. It is easy to see why Grainger-Barras has plenty of fans: he's a powerful tall back who takes his marks, backs himself with his reading of the play, shuts down opponents and can even switch forward periodically.

... plus there are quite a few others from the last couple years that are not tracking like they will set the world on fire.

Some of the guys this year will almost certainly be busts. At least one of them will go before our pick.

Paddy Dow: Carlton has long been linked to Dow and would get a quality, explosive, all-round midfield star in the Vic Country midfielder. Dow was an early-season riser up the draft board and has stayed there since. He's a great mix of traits that every club would want to bring into their midfield: he's tough and puts his head over the ball, he's quick, marks well above his head and can go forward to kick a goal (which he does with regularity).
exactly what we need! hope he's still there at our pick

It depends on the draft.

2012 was very hit or miss after pick 9.
2013 was all over the place, players like Freeman, Scharenberg, Kolodajnish and Billings top 10, but M Crouch, McStay, Merrett, Gardiner George Hewett, Nankurvis second round.
2014 had Degoey , Petracca, Brayshaw in the top 5, and hit or miss after that.
2015 was a strong top 5 , then hit or miss , but still some good players right through the first round.
2016 had a very strong top 4, then relatively ordinary, but Florent and Simpkin were there at 11 and 12.
2017 had a very strong 4 of the top 5 then pretty ordinary.
2018 was strong up to 12 or 13.
2019 was strong up to 13.
2020 covid year all over the place but not in the Saints picks.
2021 Hit or miss after Naz at 11th.
2022 Early days but seems to have very good players up until Pou and Hollands at 10 and 11.
2023 seems to be very good at least for the top 10. Wilson may well have been a "hit" in the hit or miss part.
Man you really didn't look too deep into 2017, there were some rippers later in the draft
expand...
You worry too much about one or two spots , remember 2017 , Hunter and Coff at 7 & 8
Naughton at 9 and even worse Ed Richards at 16 , Richards is exactly what we need now with his break away pace from the centre

Oscar Allen -21
Balta -25
Sam Taylor-28
Tom De Koning-30
And who can forget Gringos boy Fritsch-31

Man you really didn't look too deep into 2017, there were some rippers later in the draft

You worry too much about one or two spots , remember 2017 , Hunter and Coff at 7 & 8
Naughton at 9 and even worse Ed Richards at 16 , Richards is exactly what we need now with his break away pace from the centre

Oscar Allen -21
Balta -25
Sam Taylor-28
Tom De Koning-30
They are all key position players or a Ruck who are generally more risk/reward. Midfielders are generally easier to assess.

Oscar Allen -21
Balta -25
Sam Taylor-28
Tom De Koning-30

why are you quoting me with things I never said?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

neat short kicking game and decent by hand, but just looks too laconic for me.. billings mk ii

would prefer an explosive travaglia type

Reid shows calmness in tight situations under pressure with good decision making ... also has a turn of pace as seen by the 3 bounce goal ... not a tall mid but neither are some of the best mids in AFL seniors

Watched some Travaglia highlights when playing with Carlton 2nds and he coughed it up a bit under pressure and also (probably not his fault) a lot of nothing kicks down the line ... was also playing as a back so not sure if he will go through the midfield .... or if he does it will take time ... not a pure mid

Think I am on the Reid train over the Travaglia one

I'd probably agree re: LDU - trading out picks for him this year would be smart. McCluggage I completely disagree on. We do not need outside run, we need inside mids and inside mids only.

I definitely share your frustrations, and I totally agree on needing the best, but I do think it's worth noting how many guys we all thought would be ''the best'' have ended up being extremely middling footballers.

Here's a sample of players taken in the last ten drafts before Pick 8 along with what Cal Twomey had reported:

Josh Schache: The key forward is an excellent shot for goal, has a great engine plus the height to outmark most of the defenders he's matched up against. He kicked a record haul of 24 goals at the under-18 championships and is not a forward who needs heaps of touches to make a scoreboard impact.

Aaron Francis: The powerful defender is able to control games as a third tall, but in his stints up forward and in the midfield he has also been able to have a big say on games.

Jacob Hopper: Hopper is a midfielder who changes games through sheer will: he puts his body on the line, is a star at the clearances and enjoys pushing forward to hit the scoreboard.

Ben Ainsworth: Ainsworth established himself as one of the best players in this year's draft class as a bottom-ager in 2015 and is ready for his chance. He carries genuine excitement and energy.

Will Setterfield: Tall, mobile, tough and skillful, Setterfield ticks most of the key boxes as a modern midfielder who can impact a game.

Sam Petrevski-Seton: The West Australian midfielder remains one of the classiest, smoothest players in the pool. He can kick on both feet, make things happen, and see things unfolding that few others can. He can produce the unexpected moments on a regular basis.

Jack Scrimshaw: Scrimshaw presents as a really modern player and prototype who can be used across the field. In time he sees himself playing in the midfield and using his quick sidestep and clever evasiveness through traffic.

Andrew McGrath: McGrath presents as a player who will be able to go straight away. He's quick, powerful and competitive, and has the defensive mindset to step into an AFL side from the first moment. His leadership gives him an edge over some other contenders at the top of the draft, and he has shown great versatility across the season.

Jaidyn Stephenson: Stephenson is a unique prospect, with a different set of skills and if cleared by Richmond medicos would be a draft bonus for the premiers. He is quick and sharp and nimble, he has a good leap, and he loves to dash away with the ball. He'll start his career in the forward line and is capable of kicking bags when given some space.

Lachlan Ash: The half-back flanker plays with genuine zip, taking the game (and opponents) on from defence and opening up the ground. He also has endurance to match his leg speed, and an uncompromising streak that saw him named as a co-captain of Vic Country.

Dylan Stephens: An Andrew Gaff-like midfielder who can find plenty of the ball and play as an inside or outside midfield option... The decision between Stephens and Serong would be line-ball.

Fischer McAsey: The Crows don't have much youth in their key-position ranks so McAsey shapes as a long-term player if they swoop. The strong-marking key back has also been used in attack at times, with his versatility and game sense a strength.

Will Phillips: The Oakleigh Chargers midfielder has been viewed as a top-10 player in this year's group for some time now, having starred for Vic Metro at the under-16s championships and then last year averaging 22 disposals and four tackles in the NAB League. Phillips is a midfield bull who extracts the ball at will, is sharp by hand and can also push forward and hit the scoreboard. He's tough, consistent and ready to play, and has been closely monitored throughout this season by clubs with early selections.

Denver Grainger-Barras: The best key defender in the draft. It's as simple as that when assessing Grainger-Barras' credentials, with some clubs also viewing him as the best player in the open pool. It is easy to see why Grainger-Barras has plenty of fans: he's a powerful tall back who takes his marks, backs himself with his reading of the play, shuts down opponents and can even switch forward periodically.

... plus there are quite a few others from the last couple years that are not tracking like they will set the world on fire.

Some of the guys this year will almost certainly be busts. At least one of them will go before our pick.
How many of those were centre square midfielders in their draft year? And now do every single one of the hits. Hint there is a lot more 👍🏻

Reid shows calmness in tight situations under pressure with good decision making ... also has a turn of pace as seen by the 3 bounce goal ... not a tall mid but neither are some of the best mids in AFL seniors

Watched some Travaglia highlights when playing with Carlton 2nds and he coughed it up a bit under pressure and also (probably not his fault) a lot of nothing kicks down the line ... was also playing as a back so not sure if he will go through the midfield .... or if he does it will take time ... not a pure mid

Think I am on the Reid train over the Travaglia one
fair enough, though that goal he was already kind of on the move before he put on the jets, around stoppage I don't see it personally. He had another similar play on the farside of the ground

IIRC, l think it was The Punter that posted some figures a while back.

Draftguru groups picks 6-10 in their success ratings and 6 I'm told is a hoodoo number.
Had we lost to the Scum we'd most likely got 6&7 after the Ashcroft bid.

Now, we'll end up with 8&9 or 9&10 of which all are statistically superior to 6.
We were never getting in the 3-4 bracket so we'd either have gotten 5,6 or 7.
Statistically speaking, we appear to be better off.

Firstly, cracking win over the Blues. I barracked for the Saints this afternoon as if they were my own team. That was brilliant!

Secondly apologies for intruding but I’ve heard the Saints love Tobie Travaglia.

I like the assortment of talent the Saints are building. NWM, Pou & Wilson are a terrific trio. I think Travaglia would be another fantastic get for you lot. Built for the modern game like Wilson is as a hard runner. I see him as a Will Day clone in the AFL.
Thanks. Glad to hear.
Now if you could just return the favour, which Freo failed to do, all will be good in the world.
Pretty sure, this entire board and thousands of others out there will be barracking for you. Good luck!

Sooo…just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons -
Battle stays and we only get ONE top 10 pick.

Who are we going for?
Whoever is left and definitely not Trainor.

Tell you what, if we somehow get Langford I would seriously trade up from our second rounder with a future 2nd if it meant locking in Hynes.

The possibility of getting the two of them together, along with Elwood, would be too good of an opportunity to pass up.

Unfortunately no sound on the source broadcast.

Just when I think the race for pick 1 couldn't get any messier, we get a performance like this from Lalor. As powerful and dynamic a contested game as I've seen this year. He won his own footy at stoppage, took contested intercept marks around the ground, layed bumps and tackles. He was an unstoppable beast all game, although his kicking was a little more wayward than usual.

That was a much better showing than most of his champs games. I find his field kicking below average but he looked like the powerful Dusty Trac type in that at least.

Lauchie Ash is a gun though.

Will north trade pick 2 for pick 8 and Adelaide’s second rounder? Will anyone ahead of us do that?
What about next years first to move up?
Value checks out (https://www.draftguru.com.au/pick-value-calculator#8,28|3,), but not sure I want to lose a 2nd this year.

I have North sliding 2 to 3 for Ashcroft, therefore our picks slide to 8, 9.

Our 2nd rnd likely 24 to 28 (Ashcroft, Lombard, Kako and maybe Marshall taken before the pick)

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back