1-rich: O'Sullivan
2-north: trainor
3-wc: smith
4-crows: Draper
5-demons: Langford/lalor/reid
6-rich: Armstrong/shanahan
7-stk: Langford/lalor/reid
8-stk: Langford/lalor/reid

Hopefully both trainor and one of the key forwards go before our pick, meaning we should have 2 of the left over mids to take. Can't see O'Sullivan and Draper being there at ours. But feel like there is still a chance smith could slide. Langford/reid is probably the worse combo we would want available though, as they are probably the two most similar style slower mids.
Isn’t Smillie in most projections as a top five pick?

If we get pick 8 for Battle we can probably all live with it. It's overs. It will still hurt to see him running around for the Hawks but you'll find if we get pick 8 people will see it as an incredible deal for us. We've had a few good drafts in a row, it feels like we're starting to build something decent through the kids and if we have 7/8 it's a massive opportunity.

Why is it overs? If you had to trade for a decent 25 yo tall defender it would cost heaps.

So what are Jasper's question marks?

Size? Weight?

Plenty of under sized mids with smarts have made it before
Jasper, like KM before him, doesn’t know his arse from his elbow.

Reid is very similar is size and production to Smith, and NO one is doubting his ability to play AFL.

Last edited:
He did start forward and struggled to grasp his opportunities before he was moved to the wing and settled as a key defender.

It’s got as much to do with Corey Enright as it does with Josh hitting the 50-70 game mark.

Tell him to make Cordy into Alex Rance then.

Jasper, like KM before him, doesn’t know his arse from his elbow.

Reid is very similar is size and production to Smith, and NO one doubt his ability to play AFL.

Jasper sounds like he puts a question mark after every player because he lacks confidence to make a hard call. Needs to put his Chappalahs on the line.

Mowman, I respect you. You’ve added a lot to the forum in my time here.
I reckon you’re flying too close to the sun on this one.
These moves happen regularly across the league, if what you’re suggesting is in fact correct then it’s unfortunate that a player you have a personal connection has been on the wrong end of the dealings but ultimately the list management team are given the power to make decisions that they think will move us closer to a premiership.
It’s their duty to pull the levers they can to address the needs of the list. Unfortunately the only levers we’ve had the last two years has been free agency compensation as very few of our players have currency and of those that do they’re to important to our mission

They are employees of us. They should be held to account.

We’ve really gotta feel so obliged to pick a midfielder, but if we have the two picks, it’s gotta be best available with the 2nd. So I wouldn’t even rule out the key forward in Armstrong.
Agree with this

Tell him to make Cordy into Alex Rance then.
Cordy is too far gone at this point and lacks the athletic profile. I rate Josh, but give some credit to a defensive coach who has benefitted the individuals in our d50 enormously since his arrival. I don't think there's a player in our backline who hasn't improved in the last 3 seasons

They are employees of us. They should be held to account.
You're really big on holding people to account at the club. We have done so, hence the significant change to our football department in the last 2-3 years.
If this football department gets it wrong, they too will be held accountable.
I don't know what their internal KPIs are, and how they're measuring success between the four walls, however I do know that everything that we've heard from Ross and co about our list has been matched by the moves we've made.
If you haven't seen enough improvement in the last 2 months to feel comfortable in the direction of the club then that's on you

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This game from Murphy Reid was even better than the already impressive stats suggest. He proved his elite kicking skills by consistently hitting targets on a day that the wind was wreaking havoc with disposal. He managed to find space at times in a finals game where the pressure was ratcheted up several notches. He was swung forward in the final quarter and seemed to be involved in every score as the Dragons put the Jets to the sword.

literally only one of his kicks over 15 metres hit a target and it was a contested mark, 3 goals were joe the gooses (all out the back from either a kick or a handpass) in a drubbing.. I just don't see it. Some good hanballs, plenty of average ones. Just feels like hot potato any time he gets it, compared to many other players in this draft that drive to create space and open the game up with their kicking, reid does not do that at all.

His short kicking game is very nice and he's a clever player, but I can't see him being a game changing mid

This game from Murphy Reid was even better than the already impressive stats suggest. He proved his elite kicking skills by consistently hitting targets on a day that the wind was wreaking havoc with disposal. He managed to find space at times in a finals game where the pressure was ratcheted up several notches. He was swung forward in the final quarter and seemed to be involved in every score as the Dragons put the Jets to the sword.

Thats probably as impressive an offensive game as any top 10 touted player.

But wtf is he at AFL level?

Steele Sidebottom best comparison?

Good hands, quick!

On Pixel 6a using BigFooty.com mobile app

literally only one of his kicks over 15 metres hit a target and it was a contested mark, 3 goals were joe the gooses (all out the back from either a kick or a handpass) in a drubbing.. I just don't see it. Some good hanballs, plenty of average ones. Just feels like hot potato any time he gets it, compared to many other players in this draft that drive to create space and open the game up with their kicking, reid does not do that at all.

His short kicking game is very nice and he's a clever player, but I can't see him being a game changing mid

they played at Ballarat on the weekend mate. Go watch the giants and bulldogs replay, no one hits targets at mars stadium.

they played at Ballarat on the weekend mate. Go watch the giants and bulldogs replay, no one hits targets at mars stadium.
fair, but even in past matches I don't see it as a feature of his game. I feel like everything he does is in his direct vicinity, or a 15 metre kick. It's like watching messi at barcelona

one of the things that really sold me on pou in his draft year were the few instances where he broke from stoppage and streamed forward of the centre (kicked a nice goal one time if i remember correctly). I know they're different players, but direct and damaging midfielders/players is what I value over the tikka takka. Get it and go, hit a target, pace on the ball, etc. That's why I like the look of travaglia, langford and smillie are similar too, xavier lindsay, there are plenty

I was trying to get a comparison to better understand what his game stands to translate to.

My opinion Right now - I don’t think he looks like an onball mid.
Diacos (minus the explosive pace), Sheezel, right footed Nick Dal.

Class, decision making, execution & strong spatial awareness

Diacos (minus the explosive pace), Sheezel, right footed Nick Dal.

Class, decision making, execution & strong spatial awareness
I’m glad you said Nicky Dal. Because I did think that in a few clips.

But he reminds me mostly of Sidebottom

I’m glad you said Nicky Dal. Because I did think that in a few clips.

But he reminds me mostly of Sidebottom
Reminds me of sheezel. Probably going to be a jack of all trades. Has goal sense. Lightning hands and a neat kick. Will probably impact most in the backline early days as would get monstered in the midfield until he gets a bit more mature and builds a solid tank. I can see him being a full time midfielder though he’s quite good in the contest and hits the ball on the move.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back