2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

literally only one of his kicks over 15 metres hit a target and it was a contested mark, 3 goals were joe the gooses (all out the back from either a kick or a handpass) in a drubbing.. I just don't see it. Some good hanballs, plenty of average ones. Just feels like hot potato any time he gets it, compared to many other players in this draft that drive to create space and open the game up with their kicking, reid does not do that at all.

His short kicking game is very nice and he's a clever player, but I can't see him being a game changing mid

Did we watch the same video just then? Kids a star, won’t even make it to our first pick.

Thats probably as impressive an offensive game as any top 10 touted player.

But wtf is he at AFL level?

Steele Sidebottom best comparison?
Early career Merrett maybe when he was playing more wing? I have doubts about his suitability to play center bounce at AFL level, but he should be an excellent winger/flanker at the least.

This game from Murphy Reid was even better than the already impressive stats suggest. He proved his elite kicking skills by consistently hitting targets on a day that the wind was wreaking havoc with disposal. He managed to find space at times in a finals game where the pressure was ratcheted up several notches. He was swung forward in the final quarter and seemed to be involved in every score as the Dragons put the Jets to the sword.

I’d take him if we can also grab a big bodied explosive mid. Add Pou to the mix and you have a three mids in the archetypal mould of a Bont, Cripps, Daicos.

Maybe a Langford type (190cm) or Smillie (194cm) if he slides though neither seem like breakaway types. Alternatively, take best available and transition Owens in. Speaking idealistically here.

This game from Murphy Reid was even better than the already impressive stats suggest. He proved his elite kicking skills by consistently hitting targets on a day that the wind was wreaking havoc with disposal. He managed to find space at times in a finals game where the pressure was ratcheted up several notches. He was swung forward in the final quarter and seemed to be involved in every score as the Dragons put the Jets to the sword.

I'm both really impressed and a little bit unimpressed. Not sure how that is possible haha.
He's certainly got some tricks with his handballing.

Early career Merrett maybe when he was playing more wing? I have doubts about his suitability to play center bounce at AFL level, but he should be an excellent winger/flanker at the least.
Hahaha imagine if we take a winger/flanker in the top 10 after all this midfield hype and our previous history with taking flankers in hope they become mids jfc

I really can’t see a backward-hand balling slow mid succeeding in our long-term midfield. Do a James Leake to him so we can get Darcy Wilson + Liam Henry

The strong wind made clean passages of play nearly impossible and turned most of this game into a scrap, but Langford thrives in that kind environment. He used his strength and physicality at the contest attacking the ball and the man in equal measure, at times he and James Barrett threatened to turn it into a boxing match. He found a stack of footy as he always does, and hit the scoreboard at crucial times to help his Stingrays to build a lead and take the victory.

Hahaha imagine if we take a winger/flanker in the top 10 after all this midfield hype and our previous history with taking flankers in hope they become mids jfc

I really can’t see a backward-hand balling slow mid succeeding in our long-term midfield. Do a James Leake to him so we can get Darcy Wilson + Liam Henry
Imagine if we take Trainor and Marshall. This board might be disbanded.

There’s a McCartin brother on the radar. Lot of scope to improve in a better system but having not played for 7 years he managed a few VFL games for the swans this year.
SOS was hiding in the crowd watching him on Saturday in a final for Lorne.
Lorne is currently coached by Ed Curnow so he’s been under some pretty decent experience.
Here’s a link to an older article https://amp.theage.com.au/sport/afl...-the-heads-of-afl-scouts-20240612-p5jl88.html

The strong wind made clean passages of play nearly impossible and turned most of this game into a scrap, but Langford thrives in that kind environment. He used his strength and physicality at the contest attacking the ball and the man in equal measure, at times he and James Barrett threatened to turn it into a boxing match. He found a stack of footy as he always does, and hit the scoreboard at crucial times to help his Stingrays to build a lead and take the victory.

I’ve heard good things about Barrat - 30s / 40s range?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s a McCartin brother on the radar. Lot of scope to improve in a better system but having not played for 7 years he managed a few VFL games for the swans this year.
SOS was hiding in the crowd watching him on Saturday in a final for Lorne.
Lorne is currently coached by Ed Curnow so he’s been under some pretty decent experience.
Here’s a link to an older article https://amp.theage.com.au/sport/afl...-the-heads-of-afl-scouts-20240612-p5jl88.html
Nice

I was trying to get a comparison to better understand what his game stands to translate to.

My opinion Right now - I don’t think he looks like an onball mid.
He was Vic Metro's MVP playing as an on ball mid ... not sure what more he needs to do ... maybe be his sides best player in a big Finals win in difficult conditions? .... very strange

Has decision making in spades, superb vision, good skills by hand and foot, has a great step and can burst from stoppage when needed (plenty of highlights in other games show he can do it)

Get the feeling that everyone looks at his size and thinks ... nah too small ... won't make it against bigger bodies.

The Kid can play!

Imagine if we take Trainor and Marshall. This board might be disbanded.
I was thinking last night while drunk in bed.
We've probably had 2 elite midfielders....in my lifetime.
Harvey and Hayes.

And they had the nerve to blow pick 1 on an undersized key forward with an unfortunate lifelong illness. No offense to Paddy, who I liked, but those are simply facts.

Burkey, Ball, peak Steele, Dal probably A graders. After that guys like Steven, Bowey, Fletch, Crouch, end-of-career Hanners briefly. After that it gets pretty grim. Danny Craven, Seb Ross, Tony Brown, Tony Francis. I'm probably missing some obvious ones, but still.

After that I was drunk and sad both.

Christ, some teams have 3 elite mids in one team. I guess our two were in the one team, and I guess we needed to make that count.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back