2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Gee whiz Ross doesn’t do much right in your eyes does he?

Now he’s overruling the medical staff to play injured players like… and apparently has a long history of doing so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He's not wrong though.
Proof is there if you care to look it up

(And no...i'm not doing it for you...so don't ask)

Ha ha I didnt say he couldnt coach, but the entire AFL industry know he is a strong individual and gets what he wants at the club. The player I mentioned was with others when he made that statement and even mid season there was a lot of resentment towards the coach from the others present.

The medical staff are not independant of the coach, who do you think sacked Walsh after Lyon's first 6 months. To believe he doesnt influence decisions regarding player availability is head in the sand stuff....but you keep believing in the bubble you can rock yourself to sleep at night.
Yep Ross runs the medical department, catering and recently took over cleaning
He’s Putin in another guise….
You keep telling yourself you’re “balanced” and not anti Lyon…that’s credible 👍

So Lyon's gameplan is fault because we don't have the midfield players to hit the ball at speed around a stoppage? Like a Butters or a JHF or a Reid or a Petracca? Also compounded by the fact that we have to work out where the opposition ruckman is going to tap it because we ourselves struggle to win one

As for us slowing the game down to a complete stop and crabbing the ball sideways more so than other teams when we win it in our defensive half is a complete myth ... all teams do that at certain junctures .... but I have seen us move the ball quickly plenty times this season after winning a turnover only to be let down by a shite decision or a last terrible kick either at goal or to an i50 player and then not being able to trap the ball in our forward half if the ball hits the ground ..... case in point Mitch's decision to handball to King on the weekend .... kick the flipping goal Mitch

It is our inability to kick goals at the moment that is our biggest issue .... we can move the ball as well as any team it's just that we are struggling to finish off after our hard work up the field
Great post
Blaming game plan with the worst midfield in the comp and zero contested ball winning ability forward 50 is bizarre
And what’s with all this “oh the entire team just looks to not be having fun anymore…” we’ve been losing is that a mystery or a coaching issue “bleeding over to destroy the club”
Fair bit of chicken little in this stuff …

Excitement for fans comes from kicking goals and for the most part we are getting plenty of looks but our forwardline has struggled all season.

Look again at those i50 stats against those teams mentioned sitting inside the Top 6.

We average 2.6 less i50s than Carlton and they sit 2nd .... yet we are dead set boring and they are an excitement machine ..... 2.6 less over a 100 minute game

Plenty of matches this year we moved the ball well from back to forward only to be let down by an errant last kick ... whether to a forward player or at goal

How many times in matches this year have dominated i50 counts in quarters for no return ..... is that due to Lyon's mystical superflood or is it due to our dysfunctional injury & suspension hit forwardline?

You guys have short memories. I'd go back and watch those games again if I was you. The ball goes end to end but with no real purpose. We would dump it forward to come back over our heads then lock back down the other way.

Stats are a useful guide but anyone that is staying our game style is as good as sides like Carlton are off their heads. Commentators, fans and announcers all think Lyon's game plan is absolutely awful. They aren't imagining it.

He was playing hold and surge where we'd lock the game down into a dour drudgefest and then play 5 minute bursts of attacking footy. Often after getting down by what looked like an insurmountable lead we'd surge back late with a little burst and fall short so that we looked okay on paper but it didn't show how excruciating and hard to watch the match was.

Awkward The Simpsons GIF

He's not wrong though.
Proof is there if you care to look it up

(And no...i'm not doing it for you...so don't ask)

He’s very wrong actually.

The examples he gave all had clearance from our medicos (you can look that up at your leisure)

The gem that Ross sacked Walsh just shows how biased he is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the look of Lalor because he's got the prototype powerful build we're after.

He could be Petracca or Dusty but there's every chance we turn him into Caydn Beetham.

Wrap Lenny Hoffman in cotton wool now and don't let him get any higher.

use the link attached...

Lenny Hoffman, Brighton Grammar
Hoffman has really increased his draft worth this year while playing for Brighton Grammar as well as Coates league, so much so, there’s discussion he will fall out St Kilda’s grasp as a Next Generation Academy product. He was among Brighton’s best in its last win over Carey Grammar.

It goes to show there are lot of kids out there with potential that arent necessarily being highlighted in the Coates League. Bontempelli was drafted as a result of school footy, Geelong seem to find one outside the normal systems each year.

Last edited:
Hi Guys, I don't think I've had the pleasure of posting on the Saints board before. I make draftee videos where I capture every interaction a player has with the play in a given game so you can decide yourself what their strengths and weaknesses are as a prospect. Looks as though you're at least going to get a mid top 10 pick, and possible an extra with a compo pick for Battle. Let me know if there are any prospects in particular you'd like me to post in here as I've got all the top end kids covered.

Here are a few to start with:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi Guys, I don't think I've had the pleasure of posting on the Saints board before. I make draftee videos where I capture every interaction a player has with the play in a given game so you can decide yourself what their strengths and weaknesses are as a prospect. Looks as though you're at least going to get a mid top 10 pick, and possible an extra with a compo pick for Battle. Let me know if there are any prospects in particular you'd like me to post in here as I've got all the top end kids covered.

Thanks legend

Quality posting mate.

I know we want mids but I love the look of trainor

It goes to show there are lot of kids out there with potential that arent necessarily being highlighted in the Coates League. Bontempelli was drafted as a result of school footy, Geelong seem to find one outside the normal systems each year
Bontempelli wasn't drafted as a result of school football

He played 15 games for the Northern Knights in TAC Cup - 8 in 2012 & 7 in 2013.

He also played in the U18 Champs and of course for his school Marcellin

Most of the very good kids who play in the APS or AGSV (school) leagues play in the Coates League .... usually at the beginning of the season and the end of the season as thru the middle its school footy (if it clashes with CL) and the National Champs

If you do get first round compo then picking one the mids with dash (Jagga, Draper) plus Trainor makes complete sense at those picks.
Jagga/draper will be firmly in our sights. Wouldn’t also suprise me if lalor has a good end we are take him either with one of those picks if battle leaves. Who do you rate as a better AFL midfielder prospect? Personally I prefer Draper as he looks like he has elite afl traits that will translate very well. Would be happy with both

Jagga/draper will be firmly in our sights. Wouldn’t also suprise me if lalor has a good end we are take him either with one of those picks if battle leaves. Who do you rate as a better AFL midfielder prospect? Personally I prefer Draper as he looks like he has elite afl traits that will translate very well. Would be happy with both
I think Lalor could challenge for pick 1 if he finds consistent form in the back half of the season. He's been injured, missed out on preseason and the first two months of games. Had probably the best individual performance of the season in his first game back in the Talent League, then followed it up with a bit of a stinker on the weekend at the Champs. Its tough for the guys (there are several of them this year) that have missed a lot of game time to build back up and still have everyone judging them.

If he does manage to put together that strong run of form, Lalor is a big and brutal physical midfielder that wins the footy inside, has a burst of speed to get separation, nice foot skills to hit targets, and has a touch of brilliance/x-factor. Kicked 7 goals recently in a school footy game so he has that side of things covered as well.

That WA v Vic Country game sounded like a bit of a mess .... very wet apparently ... also a few have mentioned Lalor played forward and didn't get to run thru the middle?

The Vic Metro v Country will be interesting as it always is and quite a few CL games left so I am sure we will get a better idea around a few VIC prospects

That WA v Vic Country game sounded like a bit of a mess .... very wet apparently ... also a few have mentioned Lalor played forward and didn't get to run thru the middle?

The Vic Metro v Country will be interesting as it always is and quite a few CL games left so I am sure we will get a better idea around a few VIC prospects

Lalor started mid, then went forward as wasn’t really impacting the contest. It wasn’t wet when I was there and left at 3QRT. It will be interesting to see how the rest of the championship plays out.

Do people think Jonty Faull could slide to our 2nd rounder and do we like the thought of taking him? I know we should be all in on mids, but with Membrey due to depart, Allison and Hayes likely delisted and Hammer potentially going to defence, our tall stocks suddenly look extremely slim and I think we need to invest in a developing tall to potentially partner Max. Faull looks like he could be a gun key forward and due to injury early this year, might slide down to our pick, especially if the Whitlock twins and Jobe Shanahan keep up their form and get picked before Faull. I've seen some phantoms with him around 20-35

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back