2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jagga played his third and final VFL game of the season, again playing predominantly in midfield and producing excellent numbers against grown men. This might have been the least impressive of his three VFL outings, but Jagga Smith doesn't play a bad game. His willingness to put his body on the line and wear the hits to win contested footy was a particular feature in this one.

PRAYING that Tigers people actually have this opinion of Langford. Would make Jagga/FOS landing with us a huge chance

Clearly the point I made. Small players like Jagga need to be undoubtedly the best player in their draft class.

At this stage that is categorically not true about Jagga. He isn’t the best player in this class as there isn’t an undisputed #1.

This has nothing to do with a potential career he might have. This is about who goes 1 and I stick by the fact I don’t think it’s Jagga unless a club reaches.

Yesterday’s VFL game. He had double the touches of FOS and it was his impact in half those touches that outlined why he has been deemed the potential pick 1 going back to last year.

Or rephrase it as pick one needs to be the best player in the draft. Only St Kilda takes the guy who's not as good at pick 1.

Jagga is as close to a sure bet in the top 6 as there is. I'm not sure who I'd take if I had the pick but i's be awfully temped to take Jagga. I'd probably go for FOS but injury after injury can be look into the future so I can understand clubs not going after him too. He had an average champs.

He’s leaving. The club wants the pick and battle is the collateral that will get us that.
I really hope we know what we're doing. Battle is getting better and better. He's easily in our best five players at the moment. I guess you could argue he fits into our defensive system very well but right now he's in the best form of his career.

Of course if we nail the picks it might all work out but jeez it's a risky strategy if we are knowingly letting him walk.

I really hope we know what we're doing. Battle is getting better and better. He's easily in our best five players at the moment. I guess you could argue he fits into our defensive system very well but right now he's in the best form of his career.

Of course if we nail the picks it might all work out but jeez it's a risky strategy if we are knowingly letting him walk.
it's a that so stkilda moment.

he goes, we get a draft pick and it's a bit if roulette.

he stays, ever chance he breaks a leg next year and is never the same

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app

He's a year older than Max King who has apparently got his best years ahead off him. Battle should be coming to an age where his best most consistent footy is about to hit.

We don't have the choice. It's not a matter of allowing battle to go. He is a free agent and can walk if he wants.

Wouldn't mind using a late pick on Will Patton especially if Battle goes. Now 193cm, 86kg's

Wouldn't mind using a late pick on Will Patton especially if Battle goes. Now 193cm, 86kg's

Just grab him in the preseason sup period.

He's a year older than Max King who has apparently got his best years ahead off him. Battle should be coming to an age where his best most consistent footy is about to hit.
We are going to have a very decent draft hand without the Battle compo. I really hope we are at least matching the Hawks offer to him. If we hear next year that we let him go then I think that will be a stuff up. He's a gun and fits our system so well. Who knows how he'll go at Hawks but for me that's beside the point, he's vital for us right now.

Seems like Battle leaving is a foregone conclusion. My question is who takes his spot next year? Ari seems too raw for that responsibility and may never end up being great defensively. Do we turn Caminiti into a defender and bring Keeler or Heath in as the third forward/second ruck? Do they play Sharman in defence again? They don't delay Haynes from GWS' retirement for another season do they?

Seems like Cooper's forward craft is too valuable and he lacks the strength to hold down a permanent spot in defence. While Hammer and Dougal have size, that would make for two clumsy mofos giving away free kicks and shanking kicks in D50.

We are going to have a very decent draft hand without the Battle compo. I really hope we are at least matching the Hawks offer to him. If we hear next year that we let him go then I think that will be a stuff up. He's a gun and fits our system so well. Who knows how he'll go at Hawks but for me that's beside the point, he's vital for us right now.
We can't 'officially' match. He's an unrestricted free agent.

At best we put in our best offer... if that's not good enough then that's Battle's call, not ours.

Don't get sucked into the usual 'we're selling him off for picks' rubbish.

If the numbers are accurate, St K have made an offer of $4.8 million over 6 years... surely that is overs for a quality 3rd tall defender (one of the more easily replaced roles TBH.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems like Battle leaving is a foregone conclusion. My question is who takes his spot next year? Ari seems too raw for that responsibility and may never end up being great defensively. Do we turn Caminiti into a defender and bring Keeler or Heath in as the third forward/second ruck? Do they play Sharman in defence again? They don't delay Haynes from GWS' retirement for another season do they?

Seems like Cooper's forward craft is too valuable and he lacks the strength to hold down a permanent spot in defence. While Hammer and Dougal have size, that would make for two clumsy mofos giving away free kicks and shanking kicks in D50.
Heaps of options there.

I think it's sometimes forgotten that we have a pretty experienced backline now... it's not like we're losing our only experienced defender & exposing a bunch of kids.

Wilks, Doug, Sincs, Naz, Stock, JWeb... it's perfect timing to bring young players into that group to learn from that high quality group. I still have high hopes for Van Es too... if he can get his body right & string together some VFL games I reckon he's surprise.

The best teams spend years building their teams , picking up good players in a lot of drafts , picking up serviceable players in most drafts.
Geelong still have players they drafted 2 decades ago.

I can probably count the good Saints players drafted since then and before 2021, on my fingers.
Most of them retired early or were traded for magic beans.

Now we want to short cut the system by shoving out good players to get new players from the lucky dip.

Keep the good players we have , draft good players, and keep the players we've got fit and playing.

Unless they find a replacement I'd be throwing Ari in the deep end and just accepting that he'll take some time. If Batts goes they just have to accept that we'll leak a few more goals and get on with business.

It won't be Sharman. Probably will be Doug FB, Caminiti at CHB and Wilkie as the third tall. Then once Arie is ready, he goes in for Doug with Hammer at full back, Wilkie CHB, Arie third tall. I'm confident Heath will play early next year on his current trajectory

Stavro has previously mentioned we are interested in a key defender from Adelaide - Jordan Butts, Harry Edwards from WCE has also been mentioned. I have no doubt Caminiti could fill the roll but taking him out of the forward mix wouldnt be ideal. If the club feel Keeler can fill Caminiti's roll forward, then Hammer may well become our next CHB.

Shoenmaker has a long way to go before he will look like making it as a key defender. Both his contested marking/spoiling and his defensive pressure need a lot of work. Van Es is another option who is good defensively, but needs to get his body right and continue progressing.

Losing Battle will expose our lack of list talls and highlight the need for us to continue to draft key talls, to have them developing along with the other young blokes we have coming through. Perhaps Cole fills one of those positional needs, but we still need another tall forward/ruckman to add to the list ideally Thomas Simms or Kayle Gerryn mid draft.

We can't 'officially' match. He's an unrestricted free agent.

At best we put in our best offer... if that's not good enough then that's Battle's call, not ours.

Don't get sucked into the usual 'we're selling him off for picks' rubbish.

If the numbers are accurate, St K have made an offer of $4.8 million over 6 years... surely that is overs for a quality 3rd tall defender (one of the more easily replaced roles TBH.)
I'm just saying I hope we're offering him the same. I'm aware of the UFA situation. If we offer the same or more and he leaves then there's nothing we can do but if we're offering less that's dumb in my opinion.

Battle is gone I reckon.

What more do people want the club to offer? Been reportedly offered around 850k per season, if Hawks are offering close to a million per season then that’s on them.

I’m happy with either outcome at this point, he’s a really good player and I love watching him. You also can’t tie up close to a million per season for that type of player.

If he stays awesome, if he goes and we get band 1 then sweet we get another shot at a gun kid.

Hopefully we find out soon whether he stays or not.

I'm just saying I hope we're offering him the same. I'm aware of the UFA situation. If we offer the same or more and he leaves then there's nothing we can do but if we're offering less that's dumb in my opinion.
Hawthorn are finishing their rebuild so they have money to splash and don't need to be as cautious with the way they spend. They know that key defenders are the only hole in their list

We are still trying to figure out our list, so we need to manage our money well. Offering less makes complete sense because overpaying for a bloke who plays in one of the most replaceable positions in our squad is a huge risk of leaving our salary cap hamstrung

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back