2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

We can't 'officially' match. He's an unrestricted free agent.

At best we put in our best offer... if that's not good enough then that's Battle's call, not ours.

Don't get sucked into the usual 'we're selling him off for picks' rubbish.

If the numbers are accurate, St K have made an offer of $4.8 million over 6 years... surely that is overs for a quality 3rd tall defender (one of the more easily replaced roles TBH.)

He's not a third defender. Wilkie is.

He's a genuine CHB.

And it clearly isn't over given there's another better offer on the table

We are only in this mess because we didn't wrap his signature up early and didn't put him on enough coin.

Does James Van Es still exist? I know he has missed the entire year with injury but some still believe he gets another go next year. Does anyone know if coaches actually rate the kid?

Does James Van Es still exist? I know he has missed the entire year with injury but some still believe he gets another go next year. Does anyone know if coaches actually rate the kid?

He was highly rated in his draft year.
He played 14 games in 2023. From memory he was tracking ok. You could probably go back through the old coaches reviews.

My question is , why wouldn't you believe he gets another go?

Contracted for two more years but they need his money off there books. They might package one of their picks with him for pick 4 to get ahead of the Lombard pick

If Adelaide leaps frog us and we end up with pick 4 then Gold Coast will need to deal with us.

And if we have both picks 4 and 5 then we hold enormous leverage.

We should be targeting BOTH of their first round picks in such a scenario.

Maybe Gold Coast will look to deal with North. But North wants Trainor and Gold Coast’s picks might be too late.

Stavro has previously mentioned we are interested in a key defender from Adelaide - Jordan Butts, Harry Edwards from WCE has also been mentioned. I have no doubt Caminiti could fill the roll but taking him out of the forward mix wouldnt be ideal. If the club feel Keeler can fill Caminiti's roll forward, then Hammer may well become our next CHB.

Shoenmaker has a long way to go before he will look like making it as a key defender. Both his contested marking/spoiling and his defensive pressure need a lot of work. Van Es is another option who is good defensively, but needs to get his body right and continue progressing.

Losing Battle will expose our lack of list talls and highlight the need for us to continue to draft key talls, to have them developing along with the other young blokes we have coming through. Perhaps Cole fills one of those positional needs, but we still need another tall forward/ruckman to add to the list ideally Thomas Simms or Kayle Gerryn mid draft.
I said Butts and another crows defender and I didn’t know who were being looked at.

Starting to think it might be Keane.

Drapers highlights playing for SA are pretty impressive. If Battle leaves and we get him and Langford I’d be happy.
No doubt getting Jagga, FOS or Draper with our 1st allows us to choose a bigger body mid (Smillie, Langford, Lalor) with our Battle comp pick.

The issue is, what do we do if all 3 are gone?

Van Es is only 20 , and seems to have all the attributes. I'd love us to get off the merry go round of drafting a tall defender every couple of years and delisting them a few years later. (Goddard , Clavarino , Allen ).
Some of Batchellor's comments from 2023.

Jimmy had another week as that in-between defender. It wasn’t much of a contest day because of how quick both teams tried to move the ball, but his team defence is improving and he’s just got to keep the consistency of gameplan, physicality and aggression is there, because when he does it he’s hard to play against.

-----------------------------------
Big Jim played a good game and it was a step forward for him. Numbers don't tell a story for most, especially defenders, but he was aggressive in what he had to do. He had a real intent of not having a leg-rope too far with his opponent and always having him in close check. At Sandy when the ground is so small and it can travel from end-to-end really quickly, you can't afford to take too much space for too long. We've been working on that and he's been putting in the hard yards and we're starting to see some good results out there.

He took three intercept marks, but probably dropped another three sitters, so if he had have taken those it would have been a really promising result for him. We're just challenging him to keep using his frame as a real weapon and keep throwing his body in, because no-one's going to be bigger or stronger than him. He's already a massive lad, so if we can turn that aggression dial up to 90, 95 per cent, he's well on the way.
Similar to Oscar, Jim didn’t have many possessions – it wasn’t that sort of game for our key backs – but more often than not was in a good strong position in contests. We’re still working on some defensive decisions about where to run and when to leave your opponent versus when to stay, but we’re seeing improvement and seeing signs every week that all these blokes are tracking in the right direction.
A quiet day for Jimmy playing as a mid-tier defender. He was probably a bit too focussed on his direct opponent when his absolute strength is marking it in the air and playing aggressively. It wasn’t really a day for contests - there was a lot of up-and-back with 62-52 inside-50s - so there wasn’t many opportunities for us to slow them down and impact them in the year.
---------------------------------

Come on Crows. 1 more! I don’t think we’re winning again. Such a shame adelaide couldn’t hold that 10 point lead against Geelong.
We’re every chance to knock off the Blues and I hope we do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Battle is gone I reckon.

What more do people want the club to offer? Been reportedly offered around 850k per season, if Hawks are offering close to a million per season then that’s on them.

I’m happy with either outcome at this point, he’s a really good player and I love watching him. You also can’t tie up close to a million per season for that type of player.

If he stays awesome, if he goes and we get band 1 then sweet we get another shot at a gun kid.

Hopefully we find out soon whether he stays or not.
That's exactly how I feel.

Love Battle. Love the thought of that extra draft pick.

If he stays it will be great and/or disappointing and if he leaves it will be great and/or disappointing.

Out of our hands so I'm not sweating it.

It will be a second round pick at most.

I bet it won’t.

While 4 is overs for Luco, he’s still a young KP who has an enormous upside.

And he’s played some outstanding footy in the not too distant past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A second impressive VFL game in a row for Shanahan. He was quiet through the first half, but really got motoring in the third quarter taking a few impressive contested grabs and kicking a goal. The contested marking in particular was a welcome sight given that has at times been questioned. If he carries this form over to close out the Talent League season Shanahan could really start to move up draft boards.

I'm just saying I hope we're offering him the same. I'm aware of the UFA situation. If we offer the same or more and he leaves then there's nothing we can do but if we're offering less that's dumb in my opinion.

What is dumb is overpaying.

Making a rod for our backs for all future contracts negotiations if we bend over.

Josh will be a very wealthy man either way.

He's not a third defender. Wilkie is.

He's a genuine CHB.

And it clearly isn't over given there's another better offer on the table

We are only in this mess because we didn't wrap his signature up early and didn't put him on enough coin.

He signed his last contract when Ratts was still messing around with him on a wing.

Short memories how Battle was thought of by many on this forum back then.

Wasn’t deserved of a bigger deal then and probably wanted to hold off for a pay day now.

A second impressive VFL game in a row for Shanahan. He was quiet through the first half, but really got motoring in the third quarter taking a few impressive contested grabs and kicking a goal. The contested marking in particular was a welcome sight given that has at times been questioned. If he carries this form over to close out the Talent League season Shanahan could really start to move up draft boards.

I really like this kid he moves and presents like a true CHF and believe he has a big future. Would be nice to get him with our 2nd round pick.

Contracted for two more years but they need his money off there books. They might package one of their picks with him for pick 4 to get ahead of the Lombard pick
Just wondering how you know they need his money off the books ?

What is dumb is overpaying.

Making a rod for our backs for all future contracts negotiations if we bend over.

Josh will be a very wealthy man either way.

Fair enough. I think I'm just freaking out a bit after seeing him live on the weekend. He's a bloody good player. Seems like a good draft to have a couple of picks like 5/6 so it's not all doom and gloom.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back