2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

No there were quite a few who were not happy with Naz,

In the media too.

The point is that we took guys with ‘question marks’ but took them as the most talented.
A lot of commentators couldn’t believe we’d taken him over the hometown kids. Gerard Healey was very outspoken about it. Was considered a huge flight risk even before he got here.

But boy, was he ever the right pick!
Same with Pou over Tsatas as it stands right now.

If it helps, go and read the 2021 draft thread. Almost everyone losing their minds when we took Nas over Hobbs. Fretting that we would take Mac Andrew if he slid to our pick. Poking fun at GWS for reaching for Leek Aleer at 15. Or the 2022 thread, all giddy with excitement over Elijah Tsatas, our long-awaited midfield saviour, until Dodo snatched him from our grasp.

The groupthink on here will drive you insane. Repeat their names often enough and Lalor and Langford become Petracca and Bont when they might as well be Perkins and Cox. Who knows how they are going to progress? Certainly not worth losing sleep over, nor the chance to end Carlton's season.

Either way we'll be getting some decent prospects and need an ounce of luck with their development. Every chance the best player in this draft (in hindsight) will still be available at our picks. I'd be a lot more anxious about forcing out a head recruiter who was consistently nailing picks than sliding down the draft order. Play it as it lies and take the silver linings if they come.
Sorry not to be an arrogant bastard but I'm one of the pioneers for wanting Lalor. Same for Hynes. Maybe somewhat for Langford but I certainly don't think he's the next Bont, I just think he's better than the next crop below especially with relation to mids. There's limited groupthink related to my opinion - I tracked the entire U18 champs and have tracked the entire Coates League (because I'm a loser)

With relation to 2021, I was a Sinn fan but I was happy with Nas as long as we got a game-breaking ball user. Didn't like Hobbs because of his lack of foot skills

And I still think Tsatas will be a good player, still has plenty of time. People thought Pou was a spud earlier this year

A lot of commentators couldn’t believe we’d taken him over the hometown kids. Gerard Healey was very outspoken about it. Was considered a huge flight risk even before he got here.

But boy, was he ever the right pick!
Same with Pou over Tsatas as it stands right now.
We got lucky with Nas in that Mason Wood worked his magic to convince him to stay, he very easily could have already yoyoed back to SA. As the wise man says: Better lucky than good.

We got lucky with Nas in that Mason Wood worked his magic to convince him to stay, he very easily could have already yoyoed back to SA. As the wise man says: Better lucky than good.
was it luck, or good management taking Wood on as a player bu the Saints?

wood seems to be the type of bloke who brings great culture

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app

ashcroft looks average from what i've seen. Accumulates it but plods around like angus brayshaw

Jeepers dude. Reckon he’s the most likely to be an A grader in the draft. He’s got nothing much to prove but reckon he’ll be a definite high level player. Nearly every other player in the draft has at least one question mark.

starting to get a bit harsh on clark to constantly lump him in with coffield, he's shown a lot more and demanding midfield minutes despite his crap tank

He’s been a very disappointing top 8 pick. If he was pick 42 he probably would have been delisted by now. I love HC but if we blow Battle compo on another like him I’ll burn my membership

but then we'd have to read your incessant tantrums for the last few weeks

besides we did play the kids lol, you want us to go full north?

It’s obvious too complex for your minuscule brain to comprehend. As you were numb nut.

Phillapou Wilson and Naz?

That don’t do it for you ?

Naz and Pou in particular.

Remember the crap we got for taking Naz.

Will leave, too soft . People also need to understand that Dalrympal has a specific style. He’s not afraid to take players randomly, and take guy with high scope.

As I said Travaglia screams Daleympal.

If he’s screaming Dalympal he might be a fruit loop.

Exactly, look at Coops, Pou, Windy, etc etc.

Stav kept telling us the club didn’t rate Coops and might delist him. Not sure they get to claim him as a win.

Can't remember either except for one or two wanting Hobbs, nobody lost it over NAZ almost everyone wanted Pou and were wrapt
But cool story...

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

NAS seemed a crazy call when we needed mids but can’t fault that pick. Looking back Toce was exceptional at finding talent. Really nailed most picks. Hobbs still worth a sniff around if we want a cheap inside bull though.

It's not luck. It's hard work and effort, a lot from Tony Brown. Despite our suposed poor culture. We have yet to really have many leave to 'go home'.

It's not luck. It's hard work and effort, a lot from Tony Brown. Despite our suposed poor culture. We have yet to really have many leave to 'go home'.

How often can you pick the eyes out of the draft though? Its not every draft the top 10 in drafts are becoming more and more ready made and accurate to their potential and talent provided they land at a club that can give them development and game time.

We are in the middle (year 3 of 5) of this ‘reset’ so let’s go balls to the wall and try and move up, secure FOS who you can tell is the best kid in the draft outside Ashcroft easily. Pick up Lalor as well and we have sorted out our midfield for the next 10 years.

Yes there is value to picking up the sliders like Pou, Wilson and Nas but you need the centrepiece to really cap it off. Trade out some assets and move up, make a statement.

We can continue to pick up those types in the coming two years and continue to add them. We won’t get another opportunity like this in the near future where we have two top 6 (8) picks that we can use to move up into the very pointy end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was so happy we didn't take sinn, but bummed we missed out on erasmus, wasn't huge on nas until about 20 minutes post pick after watching his highlights back with my rose colour glasses on, was totally sold after that lol

such a great pick, love him

How often can you pick the eyes out of the draft though? Its not every draft the top 10 in drafts are becoming more and more ready made and accurate to their potential and talent provided they land at a club that can give them development and game time.

We are in the middle (year 3 of 5) of this ‘reset’ so let’s go balls to the wall and try and move up, secure FOS who you can tell is the best kid in the draft outside Ashcroft easily. Pick up Lalor as well and we have sorted out our midfield for the next 10 years.

Yes there is value to picking up the sliders like Pou, Wilson and Nas but you need the centrepiece to really cap it off. Trade out some assets and move up, make a statement.

We can continue to pick up those types in the coming two years and continue to add them. We won’t get another opportunity like this in the near future where we have two top 6 (8) picks that we can use to move up into the very pointy end.
Ok so ‘centrepiece’ who are they in the AFL atm ?

Or best ‘young’ players in each team.

Crows - Dawson/soligo Pick 56/Pick 36
BL - Neale, Andrews, Mccluggage Pick in the 50s, 40s and pick 3
Carlton - Cripps Curnow,Walsh Pick 13, Pick 9, Pick 1
Collingwood - Daicos, Pick (2)
Essendon - Meret, Pick 26 ( IN fact their high picks ahve been beyond average)
Fremantle Brayshaw, Serong , Pick 5 snd pick 2 pick 8
Geelong Holmes -
GWS - Greene 11
GC - Anderson 2, Rowell 1, King etc etc
Hawthorn Weddle, Day Pick 18 and 13
Melbourne - Trac pick 2, Oliver Pick 4, Gawn pick in the 50s
North - Sheezel Pick 2, LDU 4, Larkey 73
Port - Rozee Butters Pick 5, 12
Richmond - (Bolton) - Pick 29

Swans - Gulden, Warner, Heeney, Blakey 32, 39, Pick 10

West Coast Harly Reid( 1) Oscar Allen 21
WB - Bont Pick 4 , JUH Pick 1, Top 10.

I think ultimately, if you want standout players, they most liekly be in the first round. However, having a higher pick does not neccesarily mean you will find this player. (Exception is for a top 3 pick really) Outside of that it is really up the recruiter imo and the development. ALSO FMD the bombers effed up some picks.

Ok so ‘centrepiece’ who are they in the AFL atm ?

Or best ‘young’ players in each team.

Crows - Dawson/soligo Pick 56/Pick 36
BL - Neale, Andrews, Mccluggage Pick in the 50s, 40s and pick 3
Carlton - Cripps Curnow,Walsh Pick 13, Pick 9, Pick 1
Collingwood - Daicos, Pick (2)
Essendon - Meret, Pick 26 ( IN fact their high picks ahve been beyond average)
Fremantle Brayshaw, Serong , Pick 5 snd pick 2 pick 8
Geelong Holmes -
GWS - Greene 11
GC - Anderson 2, Rowell 1, King etc etc
Hawthorn Weddle, Day Pick 18 and 13
Melbourne - Trac pick 2, Oliver Pick 4, Gawn pick in the 50s
North - Sheezel Pick 2, LDU 4, Larkey 73
Port - Rozee Butters Pick 5, 12
Richmond - (Bolton) - Pick 29

Swans - Gulden, Warner, Heeney, Blakey 32, 39, Pick 10

West Coast Harly Reid( 1) Oscar Allen 21
WB - Bont Pick 4 , JUH Pick 1, Top 10.

I think ultimately, if you want standout players, they most liekly be in the first round. However, having a higher pick does not neccesarily mean you will find this player. (Exception is for a top 3 pick really) Outside of that it is really up the recruiter imo and the development. ALSO FMD the bombers effed up some picks.

Yes most team’s star player is a top 4 pick. Sure some teams thats not the case see: Essendon. However I’d like to think our recruitment team is a bit better than Dodo at identifying talent in the draft. Ultimately I think FOS is the one, maybe Jagga but neither of them will be available outside pick 3 (4 on the night). I’d be looking at North Melbourne’s pick 2 to see if they want to slide back to get Trainor at pick 5 and something else on top.

I would be disappointed if we end up missing out on all of FOS, Jagga, Draper, Lalor. I like Langford but I’m not sure his POD is what we really need. Smillie I am really not sure about some games look great others look average. That stinks of a player that dominates due to his size and won’t be able to do it at AFL level.. I hope I’m wrong and when we pick up Langford and Smillie that they both turn into gun players.

Yes most team’s star player is a top 4 pick. Sure some teams thats not the case see: Essendon. However I’d like to think our recruitment team is a bit better than Dodo at identifying talent in the draft. Ultimately I think FOS is the one, maybe Jagga but neither of them will be available outside pick 3 (4 on the night). I’d be looking at North Melbourne’s pick 2 to see if they want to slide back to get Trainor at pick 5 and something else on top.

I would be disappointed if we end up missing out on all of FOS, Jagga, Draper, Lalor. I like Langford but I’m not sure his POD is what we really need. Smillie I am really not sure about some games look great others look average. That stinks of a player that dominates due to his size and won’t be able to do it at AFL level.. I hope I’m wrong and when we pick up Langford and Smillie that they both turn into gun players.
Bugger that. Sit pretty.
Much rather hold fire and get Reid and Trainor over FOS.

As

Look agreed re not everyteams best players are first rd picks I mean ours are mostly rookies.

Regardless if their is a recruiter who could pluck someone it is Dalrympal. As I keep saying I think he'll ick at lest one bolter, thinking it will be Travaglia.

The thing with Naz was he was from Adelaide and he wasn’t a midfielder. That’s enough to make people nervous when we need mids and don’t have many avenues to get them.

The other thing to remember is that Hobbs and Sinn were on paper better fits for us (homegrown, Hobbs was projected to be a good mid, and Sinn a good sandy HBF).

As I said at the time, players like Johnson and Hobbs looked more appealing as touted midfielders but I trusted the club to take Naz, and clearly it was the right choice. And then we also had the good fortune of Windy and Owen’s. Terrific draft.

In fact, all of our drafting in the last few years from national to mid season has been about as good as you could reasonably expect. That won’t last. We need more quality to go with this good batch, and I am hoping that means picks 5 and 6 and we ****ing nail them, that’s a chance at setting up a real ****ing team for the future. It’s a bigger chance than 7 and 8, though that’s not bad either by any stretch.

This will be one of our most important drafts in a while, mainly because we have a chance to add some top tier prospects to an already promising brigade of NAS, Owen’s, Windy, Wilson, Pou etc etc whilst they’re all in the same age range. That’s a limited window, and tassie is coming. You want sustained success for the future? History shows that starts with a strong core of young players developing together. Let’s cap that off.

Can't remember either except for one or two wanting Hobbs, nobody lost it over NAZ almost everyone wanted Pou and were wrapt
But cool story...

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
I remember everyone wanting sinn over nas, loosing their shit over possibly taking Mac Andrew and want to get king to play him centre half back

The thing with Naz was he was from Adelaide and he wasn’t a midfielder. That’s enough to make people nervous when we need mids and don’t have many avenues to get them.

The other thing to remember is that Hobbs and Sinn were on paper better fits for us (homegrown, Hobbs was projected to be a good mid, and Sinn a good sandy HBF).

As I said at the time, players like Johnson and Hobbs looked more appealing as touted midfielders but I trusted the club to take Naz, and clearly it was the right choice. And then we also had the good fortune of Windy and Owen’s. Terrific draft.

In fact, all of our drafting in the last few years from national to mid season has been about as good as you could reasonably expect. That won’t last. We need more quality to go with this good batch, and I am hoping that means picks 5 and 6 and we ****ing nail them, that’s a chance at setting up a real ****ing team for the future. It’s a bigger chance than 7 and 8, though that’s not bad either by any stretch.

This will be one of our most important drafts in a while, mainly because we have a chance to add some top tier prospects to an already promising brigade of NAS, Owen’s, Windy, Wilson, Pou etc etc whilst they’re all in the same age range. That’s a limited window, and tassie is coming. You want sustained success for the future? History shows that starts with a strong core of young players developing together. Let’s cap that off.
But isn’t that the whole point. Back the recruiters to see through the ‘bs’ and pick the best player regardless of our pick.

Stav kept telling us the club didn’t rate Coops and might delist him. Not sure they get to claim him as a win.

Club have been blind regarding Sharman imo. They seem to finally be starting to wake up.

He showed ages ago he had the goods.

It's my biggest beef right now. I feel we lack vision.

It's literally all there in the thread. This might be a good place to start.

BTW I am not trying to specifically pot you here - I didn't want us to pick him either. Credit to you for getting behind him right away even if he wasn't the player you wanted. Goes to show it's not worth getting too hung up on things
Gee whiz, I'm glad I was wrong about this. Hindsight is a beautiful thing

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back