2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Value checks out (https://www.draftguru.com.au/pick-value-calculator#8,28|3,), but not sure I want to lose a 2nd this year.

I have North sliding 2 to 3 for Ashcroft, therefore our picks slide to 8, 9.

Our 2nd rnd likely 24 to 28 (Ashcroft, Lombard, Kako and maybe Marshall taken before the pick)
Our second slides out more because of norths assistance package they got last year. They traded with gold coast and Sydney

I’ve not really got a fondness for Lalor.. he’s powerfully built but the vision doesn’t sell me. Lacks damage by foot and does seem to be somewhat of a man playing against boys. He seems to exit the stoppage either laterally or from the defensive side which can be a bit negative from a territory perspective (but this can be educated and developed)
He’s one that I’d have loved to see some VFL footy.
My two main question marks are his scope for development and the consistency of his kicking.

I really like the look of Langford from his champs work, and think Travaglia develops in the an All Australian calibre footballer.

Gee…this is interesting…
Yeah it was, maybe pull up the post where I said I had changed my tune due to the fantastic win and the spirit of the playing group.
You see some people can admit they are wrong and not have a blinkered narrow view that their ego demands they hold to.

Epic fail of a troll. Try again champ.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

An interesting exercise thanks to GoTigers2015 -

I have compiled the consensus power rankings for August from:

RMC Power Rankings top 30
AFL Power Rankings top 30
ESPN Power Rankings top 30
The Age Power Rankings top 30
Fox Footy Power Rankings top 30
Herald Sun Power Ranking top 50

View attachment 2093294
See. Were all good. We are gonna get some guns

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Joey? His mum do the stats? 🤣🤣🤣😄 just kidding, loved him, but boy that’s surprising!

Joey was a midfield gun in his last few years, then Richo stuck him at HBF , to develop the Youth, you know, Dunstan and Ross .
After a slow start he just kept improving and improving for a long time.
267 contested possessions in 2010.

For our new short kicking game style we need guys that can hit targets.
Murphy Reid is the one that suits that. He is exception in the short to medium kick and fast to identify targets and pull the trigger. Not the bull everyone wants but does have a skill set that improves ball movement and our inside 50 quality.

An interesting exercise thanks to GoTigers2015 -

I have compiled the consensus power rankings for August from:

RMC Power Rankings top 30
AFL Power Rankings top 30
ESPN Power Rankings top 30
The Age Power Rankings top 30
Fox Footy Power Rankings top 30
Herald Sun Power Ranking top 50

View attachment 2093294
Good info.

For those that a chance to be out our pick according to rankings I like this order of preference

Lalor
Smillie
Ried
Trainor
Travaglia
Lindesay
Armstrong

I assume Draper is gone and don’t like Harvey Langford for us due to no elite athletic traits and poor ball use.

I think 2 of Trainor, Ried and Travaglia the most likely outcome if we have two picks.

Who does everyone want IF we only have one first round pick? Meaning Battle stays!

For me its Harvey Langford, people who suggest he is slow or a poor kick are way off the mark (reading others opinions) and havent seen him play enough. He is a big bodied aggressive mid who has elite skills and is an excellent kick.

I think the others I rate will be all taken. Sam Lalor being the obvious.

Last edited:
Who does everyone want IF we only have one first round pick? Meaning Battle stays!

For me its Harvey Langford, people who suggest he is slow or a poor kick are way off the mark (reading others opinions) and havent seen him play enough. He is a big bodied aggressive mid who has elite skills and is an excellent kick.

I think the others I rate will be all taken. Sam Lalor being the obvious.
He is objectively slow, his testing literally proves that

The difference is that he knows how to use his legs - he is confident enough to break away from packs and make use of the time he has with ball in hand when others might lose composure and handball (cough Reid). I think his relatively big frame plays a part in this

He is objectively slow, his testing literally proves that

The difference is that he knows how to use his legs - he is confident enough to break away from packs and make use of the time he has with ball in hand when others might lose composure and handball (cough Reid). I think his relatively big frame plays a part in this

I have seen him run down plenty of opponents in open play so his top speed is anything but slow. In the games he doesn't look slow IMO, some players just will themselves to contests.

The kids testing was in their preseason lets see what the combine tells us. 17 yo kids at his height develop at different rates.

Pendelbury is the slowest mid in the game (apart from Hunter Clark). Lachie Neale isnt that quick both go alright.

Last edited:
See. Were all good. We are gonna get some guns
Reid and Langford would do me, surely a slider in there. Essendon or some other spud will take Taj Hotton or someone like that as a reach (maybe even a Reid or Lalor).

Will be interesting how it pans out. Not up at this end, but who had heard of Hugo Garcia last year? Recruiters and List Managers move in mysterious ways

I have seen him run down plenty of opponents in open play so his top speed is anything but slow. In the games he doesn't look slow IMO, some players just will themselves to contests.

The kids testing was in their preseason lets see what the combine tells us. 17 yo kids at his height develop at different rates.

Pendelbury is the slowest mid in the game (apart from Hunter Clark). Lachie Neale isnt that quick both go alright.
I'm not saying I don't want him, I just think you're overselling his speed. Garcia ran down Holmes last week, do you think he'd beat him in a 100m sprint?

I'd be happy with him at pick 8 if Battle leaves

1. FOS (RICH)
2. Trainor (Norf)
3. Draper (WCE)
4. Lalor (ADEL)
5. Jagga (MELB)
6. Armstrong/Reid (RICH via GC)
7. Smillie (STK)
8. Langford (STK)
A bit confused akaifu if Smillie and Langford were your picks, and Langford is objectively slow, would that not also apply to Smillie? Also you sort of ruled out Reid because he is not quick and considering it would make our team decidedly slower including the mids, why would you go for these two.
Genuine question.
Someone felt Langford had no athletic traits. One thing Lyon insists on is a team that runs and runs and runs all day. He has constantly said the team that has the most run invariably wins the flag (from the finalists).
Our current team fits that requirement. We run out games, only Sydney, the minor premier have won more 4th quarters than the Saints. Now that is only one stat, however it is significant.

So with all that in mind, the direction that Lyon wants the team to go and the choices probably at 7 and 8 (if band 1) would probably not have two relatively slow selections.
On reflection even my posts above selecting Reid and Langford is probably not ideal either if Langford has no athletic traits as someone pointed out, and Reid is too slow for our already one paced midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back