2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sulzberger looks good but rarely see him in phantom drafts. He’s looking like a real Hugo Garcia type. I think he might have won a player of the round even.

Funny you mention that I asked PM Bangers about him today, as he has missed a lot of games with the Dragons this year. The answer was he has been playing APS with Melbourne Grammar all year, but his past 3 games are heaps better than he showed earlier in the year. He has some moves and speed which was nice to see had 29 disposals and 3 goals today. Definitely a smoky...

What do you think our next years first is worth?
Clue: StKilda took a future first and 2 x second round picks in exchange for pick 10 in 2016.

Yup, and if someone offers us a trade like that again we would 100% take it. You only get one Alan Bond in your lifetime.
This is my point from earlier: it is irresponsible not to take advantage of a market where someone is offering you a future first for a pick 20 (where there is this level of inefficiency in a future market). Literally, fire the person that turned down the future first, level of irresponsible.

Yup, and if someone offers us a trade like that again we would 100% take it. You only get one Alan Bond in your lifetime.
This is my point from earlier: it is irresponsible not to take advantage of a market where someone is offering you a future first for a pick 20 (where there is this level of inefficiency in a future market). Literally, fire the person that turned down the future first, level of irresponsible.

I would fire anyone who traded out either 7 or 8 this year for a future first and 2 x seconds…

in a strong draft you take the picks not trade them out like you are some kind of stock trader.

Keep it simple focus on the best talent available and of those the ones that fit our brand of footy and team values.

let’s not try and ‘win’ the draft and trade period like Essendon does every year…

The Wilson trade back was a master stroke but that’s a bonus and secondary to our main objective of getting the best top 2 top 8 players in the door.

I would fire anyone who traded out either 7 or 8 this year for a future first and 2 x seconds…

in a strong draft you take the picks not trade them out like you are some kind of stock trader.

Keep it simple focus on the best talent available and of those the ones that fit our brand of footy and team values.

let’s not try and ‘win’ the draft and trade period like Essendon does every year…

The Wilson trade back was a master stroke but that’s a bonus and secondary to our main objective of getting the best top 2 top 8 players in the door.

For me it depends who I'm trading with. I'm doing that trade with Richmond, North, Eagles, Dees, Dons for sure. I get it if other people are not in favour. Ultimately, for me, you need to build up trade capital any way you can. Delayed gratification is very effective.
This is actually very similar to stock trading. You build up assets by selling into greater fools. If someone wants to overpay, don't get in their way.
On the original topic though, would you trade our future first for pick 20 this year?

StKilda under Trout only looked at draft picks as commodities. They didn't look at the actual players available at the picks they were trading.

Speaking of screwing up trading for future picks in real time. Indefensible at the time and even worse in hindsight (even forgetting Tsatas being the actual pick which is a disaster in itself for the dons)

Lol , so instead of Tsatis, they could have had maybe Weddel, Windsor and Tholstrup.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Excuse my ignorance because you know much more about this than I do.

If using the previous mentioned phantom, if Smillie was available at our first pick (7/8) and we drafted him, what would you do with our next pick (8/9) if Reid was still there?

Split the pick? Reach for another player (mid)? Take next best available even if it was Reid?
I'd 100% split the pick for a 10-12 pick and a late teens pick. You're essentially getting 2 for 1 because of the even spread of talent across this range

Speaking of screwing up trading for future picks in real time. Indefensible at the time and even worse in hindsight (even forgetting Tsatas being the actual pick which is a disaster in itself for the dons)

My goodness.

That is next level incompetence.

He has been such a liability for that club.

Just on this, I think if that’s what we’re targeting then my pick swap 7+8 for West Coast 3+12 makes a lot of sense

Just an idea to make this all work:

St Kilda out: 7, 8 and Future 1st
St Kilda in: 3, 12, Jacob Konstanty

Sydney out: 18/19 and Jacob Konstanty
Sydney in: St Kilda Future 1st

West Coast out: 3, 12
West Coast in: 7,8 and 18/19

I think our Future 1st is overs for 18/19 and we would like to get Konstanty (wants to explore his options to get a game) in as a Butler replacement and he’s a real Ross Lyon type also drafted by Simon Dalrymple

Draft:
3 - Sam Lalor
12 - Xavier Lindsey

Just on this, I think if that’s what we’re targeting then my pick swap 7+8 for West Coast 3+12 makes a lot of sense

It does.

But so does the scenario of live trading on the night. For example, IF Gold Coast are sitting on 13 & 20, but fear an imminent bid on Lombard, then swap 8 for 13 & 20.

But only if the club want Lindsay next after they have selected at pick 7. Potentially three licks of the ice cream.

The flexibility of live trading. That arrangement could be set-up beforehand.

It does.

But so does the scenario of live trading on the night. If Gold Coast are sitting on 13 & 20, but fear an imminent bid on Lombard, then swap 8 for 13 & 20.

But only if the club want Lindsay next after they have selected at pick 7. Potentially three licks of the ice cream.

The flexibility of live trading. That arrangement could be set-up beforehand.

Yep, if we still have them, I would much prefer us to take 7+8 to the draft than do any juggling beforehand. Live trade when we're on the clock. Clubs will overpay for the opportunity to draft a specific player they desperately want (e.g. GWS last year), and almost by definition whoever is at 8 will have been viewed as a top 3 prospect by at least one recruiter at some point during the year. I think FOS Reid Lalor Draper Smillie Smith Trainor Langford all fit this bill, but the one remaining might not be a good fit for us. We should be fielding offers on the night.

In addition to Gold Coast (who might have very different picks after Rioli/Noble trades) I'd be looking at someone like Carlton's first (probably pick 11) and future first. They would be backing themselves to improve next year with a cleaner bill of health, so might just risk it if their man was there. Or even the same deal for GWS, depending where they finish, if - as our friend above suggests - they want Trainor. Could then look at trading the future first back in.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back