2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

From the highlights the one that stands out for me is Langford. Looks quick and a piercing left foot, nice size at 190cm.

Seems like it will be a fascinating draft.

Reid and Langford look good to me. Obviously the testing has pushed them back but rate both highly.

Wasn’t Smilie ill?

Surely not for every match? I’m guessing you mean metro country. He was my biggest disappointment apart from Lalor. Neither stepped up.

Yup, and if someone offers us a trade like that again we would 100% take it. You only get one Alan Bond in your lifetime.
This is my point from earlier: it is irresponsible not to take advantage of a market where someone is offering you a future first for a pick 20 (where there is this level of inefficiency in a future market). Literally, fire the person that turned down the future first, level of irresponsible.

If next year is a weak draft and this one runs deep …..it's not like it’s a straight forward transaction. Pick 20 in this draft might be better than pick 6 next year.

do you think we'll make any moves to get another pick in the first round?
They want too.

But realistically once some of those trades go through. Your losing a quarter of the first round to Richmond 😂

Might be hard to pull off.

Jagga Smith - 24 disposals, 1 goal
Josh Smillie - 26 disposals, 2 goals
Murphy Reid - 32 disposals,3 goals
Levi Ashcroft - 30 disposals, 1 goal
Harry Armstrong - 16 disposals, 4 goals
Luke Trainor - 19 disposals, 5 marks
This is quality mate👍 what site do you get stats from? RMC?

youtube algorithm

he's a monster, flinging people aside with a swipe of his paw. He will be a clearance beast ala crips, possibly our clearance beast

Did seem to get a bit gassed by the end after bench pressing the lions for 3 quarters

with one or more of smillie, trainor, or langford sliding we're in a great spot

Looks promising, he doesn’t seem slow. Has a nice kicking action but still butchered it once or twice. Also gave off unselfish handballs once or twice - one time to #4 for a goal. Then shortly after burned #4 by not giving handball.
Good size, would have to take if he’s available.

West Coast need a lot of players to help change their side so I’d be trying to move up to 3 (so we can get Draper) by offering them a few more picks. Not sure if they’re in love with any prospect though.

Looks promising, he doesn’t seem slow. Has a nice kicking action but still butchered it once or twice. Also gave off unselfish handballs once or twice - one time to #4 for a goal. Then shortly after burned #4 by not giving handball.
Good size, would have to take if he’s available.

West Coast need a lot of players to help change their side so I’d be trying to move up to 3 (so we can get Draper) by offering them a few more picks. Not sure if they’re in love with any prospect though.
Such a stacked first round. There is literally whatever you want. Key forward, backs, rebounding defenders, mids, small forwards. Everything

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If next year is a weak draft and this one runs deep …..it's not like it’s a straight forward transaction. Pick 20 in this draft might be better than pick 6 next year.

I'm too lazy to look it up but I'd assume you would have very, very few years historically where you got better results from picks in the 5-8 range vs. picks in the 19-23 range in the following year.

For me it depends who I'm trading with. I'm doing that trade with Richmond, North, Eagles, Dees, Dons for sure. I get it if other people are not in favour. Ultimately, for me, you need to build up trade capital any way you can. Delayed gratification is very effective.
This is actually very similar to stock trading. You build up assets by selling into greater fools. If someone wants to overpay, don't get in their way.
On the original topic though, would you trade our future first for pick 20 this year?

Not if next year’s draft is considered much weaker. You also lose a year of development.

Agreed, anyone know what Richmond's main list needs are?
Surely they take a key forward

On Pixel 6a using BigFooty.com mobile app

They’re in full rebuild so need everything. I imagine they’ll try to off load Hopper and Taranto too but probably next year. Really a ground up around the players under 25. They probably do need key forwards though. A lot of good ones in this draft.

I'm too lazy to look it up but I'd assume you would have very, very few years historically where you got better results from picks in the 5-8 range vs. picks in the 19-23 range in the following year.

Definitely are really bad drafts. The draft this most resembles to me is 2017 where we took Clark and Coff. The first 12 or so are mostly good ordinary players to very good apart from Naughton but then nearly every player between 20 and 30 is very good with a lot of absolute stars in there. Other drafts like the Allison draft there is barely any good players in the whole draft.

Definitely are really bad drafts. The draft this most resembles to me is 2017 where we took Clark and Coff. The first 12 or so are mostly good ordinary players to very good apart from Naughton but then nearly every player between 20 and 30 is very good with a lot of absolute stars in there. Other drafts like the Allison draft there is barely any good players in the whole draft.

A year is a long time in any kids development - anything can happen. It projects not as strong as this year but I wouldnt be writing it off just yet. Having said that it sounds like the club would be happy to trade our first next year to get a later pick this year, just to get a year ahead of the development curve.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back