2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

It's the difference between picks 8 and 20. Aside from us noone would blink at either outcome so the primary factor in this case is discretion.
Were contract value at $1.3M there would not be any discussion about band 2.
Yep whether we get 8 or 20 could come down to almost the toss of a coin.

I haven't seen Alex Dodson play, but his numbers are impressive. I still think Trainor is a very special talent though, it all depends on where we rate them all. But if only Smillie, Langford & Trainor are left then I'd probably take Trainor with one of our 2 firsts.

Dodson still hasnt nominated AFL as his choice, people are suggesting he has a huge future in basketball and would be mad to chose AFL.

IF we could find a club to trade with I wouldnt be unhappy to trade pick #8 for a split pick and target two top 20 players eg Hotton & Jobe Shanahan/Jack Whitlock or similiar.

Last edited:
Are we jumping the gun in assuming we'll get pick 8? I do not trust the AFL to not screw us. They have form.

I don’t think so. If it wasn’t pick 8 the club would know and it would be all over the media.

In a hypothetical, if we didn’t get pick 8 there would be hell to pay. Our President would go ballistic, especially with Brisbane being gifted Ashcroft (Father-Son) and Gold Coast being handed Lombard (putrid Academy).

The AFL are nothing if not pragmatic. The industry also expects it.

Pick 8 it will be.

There's no clear top 3 that makes it worthwhile. The supposed top group is 7 deep and being in a position to get one of them and first crack at the next group is a good mix of conservatism then speculation.
That said, l feel like we're all setting ourselves up for a fall when the league give us band 2 compo.
Some drafts have a stronger front end. You have to go draft by draft. I think 7 and 8 give us a real chance at two top level players. That Clark Coffield draft could have set us up if Trout and Libba had hit the right players. Dalrymple is a guy with a good record and he should get a chance to find us some guns with good picks.
My read so far would be the following:

Tier 1; O’Sullivan, Smith, Draper, Ashcroft

Tier 2; Langford, Lalor, Reid, Trainor, Smilie

Tier 3; Armstrong, Allen, Travalgia, Hotton, Kako, Lindsay, Berry, Hynes,

Tier 4; J. Whitlock, M. Whitlock, Moraes, Gross etc out to 30

You’ve said yourself you have doubts about even Lalor translating, Reid and Langford both pretty slow for the blue chip mid we’re after. Trainor not for us really, Smilie’s energy/competitiveness looks a little worrying.

Although I wouldn’t be upset with any of these guys (if they slip through), you have to say O’Sullivan looks the best of them with the most translatable traits, Smith’s game is proven at all levels/conditions, Draper the prototype mid we’re looking for with burst pace and link running.

Year on year proves there’s unexpected busts outside the top 5. You said it yourself.. IF we selected the right guys at 7,8. And you’ve expressed doubts about dalrymple’s first round drafting.

There’s a gap as there is every year and like every year, we should do what we can to get into the top 3.

Dodson still hasnt nominated AFL as his choice, people are suggesting he has a huge future in basketball and would be mad to chose AFL.

IF we could find a club to trade with I wouldnt be unhappy to trade pick #8 for a split pick and target two top 20 players eg Hotton & Jobe Shanahan/Jack Whitlock or similiar.

Its a tricky decision, if you think you will be elite at basketball then...sure. You could end up in the USA, with more money than you know what to do with.
But a draftee NBL player earns around $80 000 .
Max Heath as a rookie, would be on at least $90 000. Dodson as a draftee at least $130 000.
The average AFL salary is around $400 000. Only a handful of NBL players earn that.

They should also consider which game they like playing the most, because they'll be doing a lot of it.

Its a tricky decision, if you think you will be elite at basketball then...sure. You could end up in the USA, with more money than you know what to do with.
But a draftee NBL player earns around $80 000 .
Max Heath as a rookie, would be on at least $90 000. Dodson as a draftee at least $130 000.
The average AFL salary is around $400 000. Only a handful of NBL players earn that.

They should also consider which game they like playing the most, because they'll be doing a lot of it.

They are talking US for Dodson not the local stuff...they get 80k per week over their as rookies.

You’ve said yourself you have doubts about even Lalor translating, Reid and Langford both pretty slow for the blue chip mid we’re after. Trainor not for us really, Smilie’s energy/competitiveness looks a little worrying.

Although I wouldn’t be upset with any of these guys (if they slip through), you have to say O’Sullivan looks the best of them with the most translatable traits, Smith’s game is proven at all levels/conditions, Draper the prototype mid we’re looking for with burst pace and link running.

Year on year proves there’s unexpected busts outside the top 5. You said it yourself.. IF we selected the right guys at 7,8. And you’ve expressed doubts about dalrymple’s first round drafting.

There’s a gap as there is every year and like every year, we should do what we can to get into the top 3.

You've said its different every year.
That means the value of "paying" to get into the top 3 is different each year.
Doing what you can can be anything. I'm sure if we gave north our Battle Compo, first round , second round and future first round picks, we could get pick 1. I say its not good value.

Surely it would have been better to try to get the first rounder last year than it is this year?
"How much is it worth" is the golden question.

There is always the worst case scenario ( best case/worst case decision making ).
If we had two first round picks , there is less chance of having a 100% loss.
No matter how good the player, injury/concussion/mental issues/freak accident, can easily claim your early pick.

You've said its different every year.
That means the value of "paying" to get into the top 3 is different each year.
Doing what you can can be anything. I'm sure if we gave north our Battle Compo, first round , second round and future first round picks, we could get pick 1. I say its not good value.

Surely it would have been better to try to get the first rounder last year than it is this year?
"How much is it worth" is the golden question.

There is always the worst case scenario ( best case/worst case decision making ).
If we had two first round picks , there is less chance of having a 100% loss.
No matter how good the player, injury/concussion/mental issues/freak accident, can easily claim your early pick.
Perceptions differ every year but the stats really don’t.

I previously said what I would do, 7+8 for 2+22 ideally and would probably accept as a worst case 7+8 for 2+40.

I don’t think so. If it wasn’t pick 8 the club would know and it would be all over the media.

In a hypothetical, if we didn’t get pick 8 there would be hell to pay. Our President would go ballistic, especially with Brisbane being gifted Ashcroft (Father-Son) and Gold Coast being handed Lombard (putrid Academy).

The AFL are nothing if not pragmatic. The industry also expects it.

Pick 8 it will be.
I hope so, mate. I'm anticipating in the lead up for the AFL's shills in the media to be going into detail about why Saints should not get pick 8. I fear there's more to come with this story.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I sort of agree. Where l differ is the weighting l put on the snapshot of this moment in time.
Of the top 2 groups, most could have been no1 on any given week and the distance between them is so slight it doesn't afford any degree of certainty, particularly since many have had injuries.
With my personal prejudices l see this:
(Haven't bothered with Lombard)

Tier 1; O’Sullivan

Tier 1.5; Trainor, Smith, Draper

Tier 2; Langford, Lalor, Ashcroft, Smilie

Tier 3; Armstrong, Allen, Travalgia, Hotton*, Kako, Lindsay, Berry, Hynes, Reid

Seem like many here rate Hynes at least 5 positions higher than the wider public as he sits in tier 4 virtually everywhere else. Hotton, Reid and Ashcroft l don't really rate, but l can accept that it's just me for now.
What l suspect is that there will be a greater weighting toward needs this draft so the accuracy of the power rankings will diverge from draft order faster than normal.
Richmond will also be the monster of the ball as they look to fill multiple positions and load up before Tassie.

Some finals action…

Langford: 27 disposals, 3 marks, and a tackle in a one goal win.

Peckett: 13 disposals, 8 marks, and 3 tackles in the same game.

Reid: 25 disposals, 6 marks, 5 tackles, and 3.1 in a 10 goal win.

Yep whether we get 8 or 20 could come down to almost the toss of a coin.
I think the chances we get 8 is a lot closer to 90% than 50-50. Using the AFL's own criteria Josh Battle hits close to maximum points in 4/4, they would have serious questions to answer from the club (and other clubs) why it wasn't granted Band 1.

We aren't the only club paying close attention to this, other clubs as surprising as it sounds would be perplexed if despite meeting close to maximum points in all four criteria the AFL decided to move us down to Band 2. Every club will at some stage be at the mercy of this compensation system, it has to be relativley predictable for it to work.

On draft night there is a big difference between 8 and 20, it's the difference of a whole additional first round pick worth of points value and trade value.

We are getting Band 1, don't be disheartened by our bad luck in the past re: Cam Mckenzie, and others. the AFL has begun to show a willingness to even the draft back up for the rest of the competition after the recent heat they copped on Northern academy concessions.

I hope so, mate. I'm anticipating in the lead up for the AFL's shills in the media to be going into detail about why Saints should not get pick 8. I fear there's more to come with this story.
Yep, but I think that will be for drama and clicks rather like what our good friend John Ralph has been doing lately. it's clear he is looking for engagement with some of the things he is writing. Like us trading Pick 8 for Houston and some of the talk around West Coast trading Pick 3 for Baker

Hi all and terrific post above.
Today I watched a grand final on the Mornington Peninsula with some old footy mates and was introduced to a guy named Tim of whom is a junior talent scout for the Saints Academy southern district team.
It was an insightful chat about how they operate, the Saints academy and players.
He has worked for several clubs and stated that the Saints have the best academy for any Vic club he has worked for or others he knows as to how they operate. He has not worked for the interstate clubs.
He stated that we will definitely see further players grow through our academy and will reap rewards.
I asked that if the Saints were to pick three players this draft who would they be. He said 1st and foremost was Langford, Langford, Langford. He also stated that don't be surprised if he slid to us given that West Coast, Melb, Norf in particular are expected to pick suited players or key position players pushing some mids back.
Langford is a bull, can spread and is influential and a potential captain.
He then said don't go past Cooper Hynes. Underrated, work horse, tough, loves to get dirty, explosive.
Next was Travaglia. Ross loves him. Elite engine and user. Can be a future lead up forward, winger and mid to compliment recruited bulls.
Just thought I would share.
Wonder if we get to our picks and there is some desperation by clubs not too far back and we slide only 2-3, take Travaglia and grab Hynes (or Davis 😄).

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back