2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Haven’t seen much of Vesely but what I have seen was not great.

Shocking decision making & skills that matched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are zero Sandringham listed players worthy of a Cat A Rookie position IMO. The poor standard of the Sandringham players is something I have been banging on about all year. I just hope the club have an arrangement with Sandringham that allows the kids that played through there to be taken.

Otherwise I wonder if a player like Bennier might qualify as a Cat B Rookie - that would be a reasonable move.

As long as Armstrong (I doubt Trainor will now), but as long as Armstrong is gone before us we should have two good options. The above scenario with FOS going at 5 hurts like hell though
I’d take Armstrong over almost anyone in this draft, if he’s there thank you very much!

Absolute star material!

There are zero Sandringham listed players worthy of a Cat A Rookie position IMO. The poor standard of the Sandringham players is something I have been banging on about all year. I just hope the club have an arrangement with Sandringham that allows the kids that played through there to be taken.

Otherwise I wonder if a player like Bennier might qualify as a Cat B Rookie - that would be a reasonable move.
Bennier , Do they have a Cat D Rookie class as that's all he is IMO

Benier is an average VAFA player, I could name 50 blokes better than him from that competition.

Jarrod Rivers also won’t coach the team, it’s the reason he picked the Saints, he will be a line coach in the senior AFL setup.
100%

Haven’t seen much of Vesely but what I have seen was not great.

Shocking decision making & skills that matched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He had one absolutely great game and has been average since but there is a bit to work with. He's a big kid and was listed as a tall mid but can mark well so can be a third tall or KP if needed. I think he's got something to work with for sure.

I’d take Armstrong over almost anyone in this draft, if he’s there thank you very much!

Absolute star material!

He looks like a 60 goal forward. He has the Jason Heatley ability to get 6 touches and turn them into 5 goals. Real no fuss operator too. Never seems to emote in any way. He's like a goal kicking terminator.

He looks like a 60 goal forward. He has the Jason Heatley ability to get 6 touches and turn them into 5 goals. Real no fuss operator too. Never seems to emote in any way. He's like a goal kicking terminator.
Rome wasn’t built in a day, everyone losing their mind over mids, let’s just take the best player with our first pick.

Trainor could slip to the second round as well, if he was there in the 20’s, I’d pick him and tell him to have a year in the gym in 2025, let his concussion issues settle right down.

I was also told yesterday that we will get a ‘high compensation pick for Battle’, let’s see how high it is.

Rome wasn’t built in a day, everyone losing their mind over mids, let’s just take the best player with our first pick.

Trainor could slip to the second round as well, if he was there in the 20’s, I’d pick him and tell him to have a year in the gym in 2025, let his concussion issues settle right down.

I was also told yesterday that we will get a ‘high compensation pick for Battle’, let’s see how high it is.
Pick 1

I wouldn’t be horrified if we took Armstrong. A different look to King and Sharman. If he’s still on the board I’d at least like to cash in on some desperado trying to trade up. Essendon would have to be very interested.

If he is best available and we get two top
Picks I’m more than happy to take him. Looks a gun

I wouldn't even consider a bloke who has concussion issues , it doesn't matter how much time you give it, it doesn't mend like a broken leg as proven time and time again

The 18-year-old has a concussion history, including two head knocks last season.

Have you not learnt anything from the Paddy debacle

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone know the maths on the list spaces we will have (subject to delistees to come)?
Not 100% sure but here's my best guess.

Started the year maxed out at 38/4/2, added Hall as Cat A due to Van Es LTI so 38/5/2. Now it's something like:

33 primary list (including Paton, Hotton, Membrey, Crouch)
  • Ross, Battle, Allison, Van Es, Bonner, Campbell gone
  • Sharman has been on rookie list for 3.5 years and played >10 games so needs to be promoted
4 Cat A rookie (including Hayes). Caminiti, Hall, Heath the others
2 Cat B rookie

So effectively 5 spots free at the moment, plus 4 players out of contract and Crouch TBD.

I wouldn't even consider a bloke who has concussion issues , it doesn't matter how much time you give it, it doesn't mend like a broken leg as proven time and time again

The 18-year-old has a concussion history, including two head knocks last season.

Agree you just don’t go there with an early pick . Risk losing the player in a few years

You'd be very carefully assessing him. A top 5 talent for a second round pick. He could be the best in the draft even.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back