2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Smillie wearing #26...

#26 now available...

It's a sign
He has some great moves in traffic though he got caught behind trailling a few times and got lucky the ball fell his way

Also his kicking seems to be a mixed bag

He has talent no doubt and is a great size but does he have the hunger to up his work rate to really impact

Very very very high risk strategy that one. And to select 2 high risk players.
It'll be interesting to see who falls out the bottom at 27. If we still have it that is..
Also some risk in putting all the eggs in one basket at 8. Depends how we rate them & whether we think they are a class above what will be left for us at 15+16. Also depends on GWS doing the deal which is probably the hardest part

Agree on all of those. If (big if) we able to trade 8 to GWS for 15+16... does Reid get through to 15?

GWS P8 - Travaglia
Melbourne P9 - Armstrong
North P10 - Berry (mids sorted, small fwd a massive need)
Richmond P11 - Shanahan (go tall after FOS+Lalor)
Carlton P12 - Lindsay (previously linked)
Port P13 - Trainor (strong mids, their docs are bound to give this the OK)
Carlton P14 - Allan (bigger mid as a POD to Lindsay)
St Kilda P15 - Reid
St Kilda P16 - Hotton

North, Blues and whoever ends up with pick 13 probably the biggest threats. But not impossible. Barrat or MWhitlock at 27 would round these picks out nicely.

This is probably all wishful thinking but in reality I would be happy with any two of the above. Probably end up with the guy coming off an ACL and the guy with multiple concussions
I understand the thinking behind 8 for 15 & 16 but not sure Reid lasts that long and if there is someone else at that position we like they won't be available come those later picks.

Re: Hotton - he had some very good games prior to the ACL but it does spook me a bit .... if he is available at 27 you probably pull the trigger though we really do need another developing ruck and if Dodson is available I would seriously consider

Also some risk in putting all the eggs in one basket at 8. Depends how we rate them & whether we think they are a class above what will be left for us at 15+16. Also depends on GWS doing the deal which is probably the hardest part
Yes, very true. I guess from my point of view the talant in say the top 15 or so is very even but the mid-centric nature of the business pushes the best mids to the top of the order. It's begs the question though, are we interested in non mids with our top picks?

I'd be strangely comfortable with Trainor and Hotton at 15/16
I'm with you there Significant.

IMHO....Hotton is a jet.

It would be awesome if we can jag him.

I was chatting with someone about him yesterday....said person nearly started foaming at the mouth.....he was getting quite animated.....another BIG fan of him.

If we aren't getting Pick 3 then we might as well split 8, field offers on draft night - if pick 9 and 13 are worth a these stupid offers then we should be taking advantage as well. There's no stand-out at 8 unless two talls go inside the top 6.

I get the feeling selection of top 7 picks will be set in stone soon after trading ends.. i.e. Twomey will be all over them... but 8 is the first where clubs will have different priorities and selections in mind and may be willing to pay quite a bit to get it on the night, similar to how things went last year with Wilson we could get a handy bonus

I get the feeling selection of top 7 picks will be set in stone soon after trading ends.. i.e. Twomey will be all over them... but 8 is the first where clubs will have different priorities and selections in mind and may be willing to pay quite a bit to get it on the night, similar to how things went last year with Wilson we could get a handy bonus
I think you're right, Melbourne might want to move up a spot to secure Harry Armstrong, or North Melbourne wanting to jump 2 to get up and get him as well. We wouldn't have to go back that many spots to capitalize.

Pick 8 to GWS for 15&16, use 16 on Bailey Smith.
Draft him 1 pick ahead of Geelong.

so we get pick 7, 15 and Bailey Smith,, or put aother way we turn Battle in to 15+ Smith

Pick 8 to GWS for 15&16, use 16 on Bailey Smith.
Draft him 1 pick ahead of Geelong.

so we get pick 7, 15 and Bailey Smith,, or put aother way we turn Battle in to 15+ Smith
Gee arent stupid. This whole gazumping them to get Smith is a folly

1. Smith will refuse a medical to any Club except Geelong. Anyone who used a Top 20 pick on him without a medical is crazy.

2. He'll demand a huge 1st year on his contract , which will be smoothed out and sorted when he lands at Geelong

3. Why draft a bloke who had worked that hard to avoid going there?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gee arent stupid. This whole gazumping them to get Smith is a folly

1. Smith will refuse a medical to any Club except Geelong. Anyone who used a Top 20 pick on him without a medical is crazy.

2. He'll demand a huge 1st year on his contract , which will be smoothed out and sorted when he lands at Geelong

3. Why draft a bloke who had worked that hard to avoid going there?

really it was only a joke... but if it were serious:

1. Cant we rely on the results of the Geelong medical? Or are doctors down there hopeless? Presumably Geelong wont take him if his Knee is shot.
2. We have the cap space to accommodate a heavily front loaded contract. Indeed it would suit us.
3. He is a local boy who played for the Dragons, I doubt he would be that distraught at St kilda compared to many other possible destinations.

really it was only a joke... but if it were serious:

1. Cant we rely on the results of the Geelong medical? Or are doctors down there hopeless? Presumably Geelong wont take him if his Knee is shot.
2. We have the cap space to accommodate a heavily front loaded contract. Indeed it would suit us.
3. He is a local boy who played for the Dragons, I doubt he would be that distraught at St kilda compared to many other possible destinations.
Not sure Geelong are gonna just hand out that medical report to anybody..

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back