2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

🎯 Draft Period, November 20–21
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Wednesday, November 20
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Thursday, November 21
  • Rookie Promotions: Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Friday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Friday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Friday, November 22, 3.20pm

Last edited:
I’m very much warming to Hammer as a permanent KPD. He’s athletic enough, has a solid dollop of mongrel, and has great hands.
Definitely worth a trial after a full pre season in that role. I feel like his ceiling is around Levi Casboult level as a forward. Good mark, terrible kick, not the most natural forward. His size and athleticism could potentially be best utilised in defence, and there will always be a Sinclair/Nas type running by for the handball when he takes a grab.

I didn’t say he can’t run, I just said his attributes aren’t optimal. Not only do we need endurance, but we need damaging kicks and sprint speed

Can you imagine Dalrymple taking two slow mids when the glaring issue in our midfield is already lack of speed?

I suppose it will come down to whether the attributes that the lads we select at 7 & 8 are compelling enough to overlook any athletic shortcomings.

There’s no point overlooking a kid with a footy IQ & skillset off the scale just because he doesn’t do a 2.7sec 20m

We can always target the breakaway speed with our later picks too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn’t say he can’t run, I just said his attributes aren’t optimal. Not only do we need endurance, but we need damaging kicks and sprint speed

Can you imagine Dalrymple taking two slow mids when the glaring issue in our midfield is already lack of speed?
Reid is probably the most damaging by footy in our range.

Like gringo said, watch his whole games and not just highlights and you'll appreciate what he can do. Hits the ball at pace and he is good through traffic. Goes forward and kicks goals and opens up the game with handballs.

His game vs SA was the game of the Champs as a High Forward and on ball.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

We’re not talking about whether he’s draft able or not, we are talking about whether he’s worth a top 10 pick in an even draft

Lindsay and Travaglia are guys around his mark that have unique skill sets and have an optimal set of attributes for the Ross Lyon running game

I just don’t get how people spend all season complaining about how slow our midfield is yet they want to draft a guy who literally never sprints away from stoppage
Ross has made repeated remarks about our inability at clearance. I think he's looking for players who can help remedy that aspect of our game and Jagga, Langford and Smillie are the 3 with exceptional numbers at the Championships in that area. Any one of those three should be a walk-up selection for us at 7 if they're still in the draft pool.

Ofc they’re different types of players, that’s why I’m saying I prefer them over Reid. Why would I be arguing this if they were similar?

There are no elite players that suit our team at pick 8, that’s the issue and why we should trade up imo

If we do choose to stay put, Travaglia has showed in the CTL that he can burst from stoppage when playing midfield, so you are incorrect in saying there is no one with burst

Lindsay at least has leg speed and can break away from stoppage when fed the clearance. Can also cruise around the ground like Gulden does with his tank. Also proven that he can play mids in CTL and even Champs when he got a few cbas

As I’ve said multiple times, a combination of Pou Clark Reid Windy Dow Smillie/Langford* going forward won’t cut it against the best midfields and we risk falling into the Carlton scenario where we are constantly hunting for a fix

If we split 8 for 15,16 and took Smillie Reid Hynes/someone else with speed, that’s a scenario I’m ok with

If we split 8 it wont be for 3 mids....it will be to grab the likes of Trainor & Dodson.

Definitely worth a trial after a full pre season in that role. I feel like his ceiling is around Levi Casboult level as a forward. Good mark, terrible kick, not the most natural forward. His size and athleticism could potentially be best utilised in defence, and there will always be a Sinclair/Nas type running by for the handball when he takes a grab.
Reminds me of Liam Jones a fair bit.

Showed promise as a forward, without ever threatening to be a superstar, but was notable for his long arms, great hands, and looking a little bit like Gumby when moving.

Jones at his best was a more than handy key defender.

Would we take both given what they offer is very similiar. I would be tempted to take 1 and still split #8 it may be more attractive with one still on the board.
Take both everyday of the week. Both have been in pick 1 discussions throughout the season.

There’s no point overlooking a kid with a footy IQ & skillset off the scale just because he doesn’t do a 2.7sec 20m

We can always target the breakaway speed with our later picks too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, I’ve said that I’m fine with taking Reid alongside a speedy mid like Hynes/Lindsay etc

It’s just that with the assumption we get Smillie/Langford at 7, I don’t see Reid being an option at 8

Reid is probably the most damaging by footy in our range.

Like gringo said, watch his whole games and not just highlights and you'll appreciate what he can do. Hits the ball at pace and he is good through traffic. Goes forward and kicks goals and opens up the game with handballs.

His game vs SA was the game of the Champs as a High Forward and on ball.

I watched almost every VIC metro game in full, Reid takes safe options with his kicks and hits them which is all good, but isn’t as damaging as others. It’s like that myth opposition supporters have with Nas having an ineffective kick - he has lower kicking efficiency than some players because he goes for damaging options

I’d call Reid an above average kick but certainly not amongst the top rung. A player like Harrison Oliver is significantly more damaging

Reid’s best traits are handballing and spacial awareness. Very good player don’t get me wrong, but not what we need imo

Definitely worth a trial after a full pre season in that role.

I hope they do give him a crack at CHB.
I think he is the closest like for like replacement for Battle currently on the list in terms of what he offers. Give Hammer 3 years in the role and it would not surprise me to see his importance surpass what Battle provided this year.

Could Langford, Smillie and Pou all play in the same midfield? 3 x 190cm midfielders i still say we take both Langford and Smillie if they are available but its a bit unbalanced

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Waiting for Twomey to give even a snippet of info

bored waiting GIF

In the Draft, who would fit us, on a needs basis.

KPD- Trainor, Tauru, backman-Whitlock brother, Barrat
KPF- possibly don't need one- forward-Whitlock brother at 32
Mids- explosive-is there any? Lalor maybe.
Mids- accumulators within our range- Langford, Lindsay, Reid, Smillie
Forward-mids- Dettoli, Hynes, Hotton
Rucks- Dodson or Gerryn at 32

What others?

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, I thought I'd take a look at Simon Dalrymple's recruiting record at the Swans over his 6 year tenure. I know he wasn't directly responsible for every decision, but interesting nonetheless.View attachment 2145924

You don't see many Malachy's running around these days. Some very good picks in those early years, particularly finding guys like McInerney at 44, Elijah Taylor at 36 (can't factor in the dickheadedness), Chad Warner at 39, Errol Gulden at 32. I'll take that kind of selection please.

In the Draft, who would fit us, on a needs basis.

KPD- Trainor, Tauru, backman-Whitlock brother, Barrat
KPF- possibly don't need one- forward-Whitlock brother at 32
Mids- explosive-is there any? Lalor maybe.
Mids- accumulators within our range- Langford, Lindsay, Reid, Smillie
Forward-mids- Dettoli, Hynes, Hotton
Rucks- Dodson or Gerryn at 32

What others?
I'd add Berry to the forward mids, though he's rarely spoken of here and more of a small forward, very classy and clean. Think he could slip a bit now Freo got Bolton, North got Konstanty, Port got Richards and Carlton traded up. Not sure who else is in the small forward market. We are pretty thin with Butler and Collard.

I'd also add Hannaford to that mix as well, coming with a bullet at the back end of the season. If we split 8 I reckon one of these guys could be in our sights in addition to those you've mentioned.

I’d be pretty happy with Smilie/Langford [emoji[emoji6]] and Hotton at [emoji[emoji6]]

Think he’s the best of the rest and was tracking for top [emoji6] before injury.

Absolutely hate Travaglia for us that early or any other likely non mid.
Hotton unlikely to be predominantly a mid either

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back