2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

🎯 Draft Period, November 20–21
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Wednesday, November 20
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Thursday, November 21
  • Rookie Promotions: Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Friday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Friday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Friday, November 22, 3.20pm

Last edited:
Open to trading pick 8 and a future first to north for pick 2
We need two clearance pigs for the next 10 years.
Time to strike is now.
Next year hopefully snag a free agent - LDU
It just seems unnecessary. We're in a great position already. If we're giving up a F1 we need to get another top pick, giving it up to move up seems like a waste. The guy we get at 8 could easily be as good as the one at 2, it is very even.

I might be completely delusional, none of this happens and we just pick at 7 & 8 but here goes:

Starting hand: 7, 8, 32, 47, F1, F2, F3, F4

Selection 1 - Pick 7 - Harvey Langford or Josh Smillie or Jagga Smith
Trade 1 - 8, 32, F2 for 15, 16, 21

Selection 2 - Pick 15 - Luke Trainor
Trade 2 - 16, F3 for F1 (club expected to finish in the 8)

Selection 3 - Pick 21 - Cooper Hynes or Taj Hotton
Trade 3 - F4 for 50s-60s

Selection 4 - Pick 47 - Adrien Cole
Selection 5 - Pick 65 - Lennox Hofman
Selection 6 - Rookie - Elwood Peckett

2025 hand: F1, F1 (tied to top 8 club)
Selections: Harvey Langford, Luke Trainor, Cooper Hynes, Adrien Cole, Lennox Hofman, Elwood Peckett

Essentially pick up the entire Dandenong Stingrays midfield who already have chemistry from day one and are ready to go, Luke Trainor as the high risk - High reward Josh Battle replacement, the academy kids and stock up with a second Future 1st for next year.

Open to trading pick 8 and a future first to north for pick 2
We need two clearance pigs for the next 10 years.
Time to strike is now.
Next year hopefully snag a free agent - LDU
Agree but North won't, they will have a tasty offer from Richmond and we will be used as leverage to make Richmond pay up.

Reid reminds me a bit of Sam Mitchell with those quick hands, short kicks and always making the right decision.

The only problem is we’re crying out for players with burst speed and who can exit through the front of a stoppage.

Love the look of Smillie.
Will Ross like some of those clever handballs he pulls off? Seemed to not be too impressed with Darcy Wilson's no looker against the pies Rd 2

Will Ross like some of those clever handballs he pulls off? Seemed to not be too impressed with Darcy Wilson's no looker against the pies Rd 2
definitely not, half of reid's disposals require the receiver to be centimetre perfect in their running and their own subsequent disposal, it's like barcelona's tiki taka, if you pair reid with a dal santo and a pendlebree then im sure they could run some very nice plays, but we don't have those players and AFL pressure (let alone finals pressure) will leave his style seriously wanting. He needs to add more direct medium to long hit up target kicking to his game, and stop being so fancy handball happy. If he can do that then he'll be a good player, but as is he looks like a liability once the heat is on

Not surprised

Travaglia I've been hot on all year, he is one of the best endurance runners in the pool and he is so aggressive with ball in hand, Ross would absolutely adore him. Projected to be a long-term mid so solves a list issue, but easily could be a long-term replacement for Sinclair at HB if midfield doesn't work out (although I'm supremely confident it will with his attributes)

Question marks over his ball use which is why he isn't in the top rung but definitely a very solid foundation to build on especially if he just becomes a contested bull in the mould of Steele with more burst
I'm liking the way you sell Travaglia. He is also likened to Will Day so, if he gets to be like him....i am sold.

Reminds me of Liam Jones a fair bit.

Showed promise as a forward, without ever threatening to be a superstar, but was notable for his long arms, great hands, and looking a little bit like Gumby when moving.

Jones at his best was a more than handy key defender.

I was thinking of Casboult. I like Hammer forward, he's got energy and work ethic, he's got a bit of tempo setter that you don't get to display down back. He's the opposite to Max King who can kick a goal and suck the energy out of the situation. Hammer handballs to a player in a better position and he's off high fiving and doing soccer celebrations.

I was thinking of Casboult. I like Hammer forward, he's got energy and work ethic, he's got a bit of tempo setter that you don't get to display down back. He's the opposite to Max King who can kick a goal and suck the energy out of the situation. Hammer handballs to a player in a better position and he's off high fiving and doing soccer celebrations.
Yeah I must say, I get the Liam Jones comparison, but the kids work ethic and hands means he will be a very good KPP wherever he plays. Doesn't come across as particularly disciplined, and plays with more youthful exuberance than others, so I wonder how he would go with a task.

Reid reminds me a bit of Sam Mitchell with those quick hands, short kicks and always making the right decision.

The only problem is we’re crying out for players with burst speed and who can exit through the front of a stoppage.

Love the look of Smillie.

I don't think Smilie is going to fix pace.

Jayden Nguyen looks like he smashed the combine testing. He was highly rated last year and lost his spot in the metro squad this year. He's raw but would love to grab him with a late pick. I think he's got enough POD to be another Garcia.

So if Reid is a HHF/ Mid and so is Hotton but they are completely different players….
Who projects to be the better player? Given neither IMHO will be full time mids?

Yeah I must say, I get the Liam Jones comparison, but the kids work ethic and hands means he will be a very good KPP wherever he plays. Doesn't come across as particularly disciplined, and plays with more youthful exuberance than others, so I wonder how he would go with a task.
He’ll have Wilkie right there with him.

I reckon he’ll just pin his ears back and go for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So if Reid is a HHF/ Mid and so is Hotton but they are completely different players….
Who projects to be the better player? Given neither IMHO will be full time mids?

Hard to know. Hotton is a small sample size and Reid more exposed consistent form. Hotton is coming off a serious injury and his brother has had a fragile body too. Reid is slow but brilliant. Hotton more X factor near goal.

I don't think Smilie is going to fix pace.

Jayden Nguyen looks like he smashed the combine testing. He was highly rated last year and lost his spot in the metro squad this year. He's raw but would love to grab him with a late pick. I think he's got enough POD to be another Garcia.

Nguyen is tied to Essendon’s NGA and is a half back anyway

Langford can absolutely football ... great size ... raking kick .... strong mark ... inside ball winner who can go forward and kick goals
Could Langford turn into a Bont type? Remember, the Bont slipped past us to number 4. If Langford slips to us at 7, grab him and enjoy all the whinging and excuse making by those who overlooked him.

Yes, he's not overburdened with pace, but he works and runs hard. RTB will love him as he bursts out of packs, finds our fleet of foot outsiders, while taking contested marks and kicking those long goals from outside 50.

Could Langford turn into a Bont type? Remember, the Bont slipped past us to number 4. If Langford slips to us at 7, grab him and enjoy all the whinging and excuse making by those who overlooked him.

Yes, he's not overburdened with pace, but he works and runs hard. RTB will love him as he bursts out of packs, finds our fleet of foot outsiders, while taking contested marks and kicking those long goals from outside 50.
Good thing about Langford is that absolute worst case scenario, he ends up as a Mason Wood replacement on a wing. Very similar players

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back