2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

🎯 Draft Period, November 20–21
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Wednesday, November 20
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Thursday, November 21
  • Rookie Promotions: Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Friday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Friday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Friday, November 22, 3.20pm

Last edited:

If we hold 8 and there isn’t an additional slider.

Im not against taking this bloke. King to CHF.

(Would prefer another mid. But I think he has a very balanced game that will translate)

I'd say he's more a Curnow type. Probably good for close to 3 goals a game at AFL level but he doesn't do a lot more than kick goals. You'd love to have him but I'm not sure he's a balanced player. Shanahan and Faull are more your old school pack crashing types that bring others into the game.

Armstrong will get 5 touches and kick 5 goals but you don't notice him doing much apart from scoring. Solid lead up mark and decent contested mark.

If we hold 8 and there isn’t an additional slider.

Im not against taking this bloke. King to CHF.

(Would prefer another mid. But I think he has a very balanced game that will translate)

I tend to agree.

Our midfield mix next year will be
Steele, Macrae, Clark, Jones, Henry, Windhager, Dow, Phillipou, Wilson, Owens, Garcia & Pick 7

While it’s far from a premiership midfield, you can make an argument that each of Henry, Clark, Windhager, Dow, Phillipou, Owens, Wilson & Garcia have the scope to significantly improve what we do around the ball

I’m not opposed to splitting 8 for 15/16 (or thereabouts), and adding some young talent to other areas or taking 8 and drafting Armstrong.

I'd say he's more a Curnow type. Probably good for close to 3 goals a game at AFL level but he doesn't do a lot more than kick goals. You'd love to have him but I'm not sure he's a balanced player. Shanahan and Faull are more your old school pack crashing types that bring others into the game.

Armstrong will get 5 touches and kick 5 goals but you don't notice him doing much apart from scoring. Solid lead up mark and decent contested mark.
I think he is very balanced and what I like about him is that his game isn’t high flying or big pack crashing.

It’s about timing and touch.

I tend to agree.

Our midfield mix next year will be
Steele, Macrae, Clark, Jones, Henry, Windhager, Dow, Phillipou, Wilson, Owens, Garcia & Pick 7

While it’s far from a premiership midfield, you can make an argument that each of Henry, Clark, Windhager, Dow, Phillipou, Owens, Wilson & Garcia have the scope to significantly improve what we do around the ball

I’m not opposed to splitting 8 for 15/16 (or thereabouts), and adding some young talent to other areas or taking 8 and drafting Armstrong.
My preferable outcome is 8+32+F2 for 15+16+21.

My absolute hard rule at draft time. Is DO NOT REACH OR DRAFT NEED.

Draft BPA - every ****ing time.

I think Lindsay is a reach at 8. If we target him surely it's from trading back into the teens with futures.

Edit - it's not that I don't rate Lindsay, I think he's a great prospect and probably top 10 in the last few drafts. Just the talent that will be available at our pick will be better then Lindsay IMO.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

That would be an incredible outcome.

I love Hannaford and I think he has the genuine X factor and power that will translate to a mid/fwd. Pick 8 is too early but I’d be comfortable in using 15,16 or 21.

I think he is very balanced and what I like about him is that his game isn’t high flying or big pack crashing.

It’s about timing and touch.

He seems to lead at the ball, mark and score but not do heaps more. He's exceptionally good at what he does but don't think he's Jeremy Cameron or anything. That said I think it was agility that he tested really high at the combine. Probably has the ability to do more ground ball stuff. You wouldn't turn your nose up for a Curnow or Josh Kennedy though.

Armstrong is not a need, King,Cama,Sharman,Owens is enough sprinkled with smalls around them should be good for well over 5 years, midfield this year & defensive talls next year to cover Dougs,Wilkie from 26>27

I think Lindsay is a reach at 8. If we target him surely it's from trading back into the teens with futures.

Edit - it's not that I don't rate Lindsay, I think he's a great prospect and probably top 10 in the last few drafts. Just the talent that will be available at our pick will be better then Lindsay IMO.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

He's an interesting one. He's not fancy but he's very very good. He looks a set and forget 200 game player who probably best case has a bit of Dangerfield in him. Worst case he's a Jack Steele type of hard working solid citizen.

I would be happy to use a pick 8 or 9 on him. That Metro v Country game was elite and his highlights show a competitive player who uses the ball well and instructs others on field. He gives the opportunity to pick a bit more of a gamble player with the other.

Watch the video. Not flashy but he just does everything well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Armstrong is not a need, King,Cama,Sharman,Owens is enough sprinkled with smalls around them should be good for well over 5 years, midfield this year & defensive talls next year to cover Dougs,Wilkie from 26>27

I'm going best available every time. If what we rate is gone and he's next best you grab them. You can always trade player out later. With Tassie coming in there will be premiums placed on existing talent over the next few years.

If Lindsay is there when our picks come about I reckon he would get snapped up. He is exactly what Lyon likes in a beautiful kick.

I wish we could trade pick 8 and a F1 for 6 and 18 or at worse 6+20+24

The 6+7 combo +20+24+32 would be spectacular

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is there any world both Smillie and Lalor are available at our picks? Seems extremely unlikely so I won't get my hopes up.

One of those two are my preferred option at 7.
Smillie looks like the wildcard of the draft. Could go anywhere. A bit like Pou maybe? Hard to see both those players being available, but players will slide so it's not impossible.

Is there any world both Smillie and Lalor are available at our picks? Seems extremely unlikely so I won't get my hopes up.

One of those two are my preferred option at 7.
Not anymore.

Lalor looks like a top 2 lock now.

It appears that the best case scenario is Langford and Smillie at our picks.

The likely scenario - would be Smillie and Murphy Reid.

Not anymore.

Smillie and Reid would be amazing. Such a great combo. Reid has absolutely pigged up lately and kicks goals too, could start out as a dangerous forward.

I thought essendon were hot for Shanahan but it’s hard to see how that would work out for them. He’d need to slide then how many points and picks does kayo eat up etc. from the reports I saw he was impressive in the vfl.

If Lindsay is there when our picks come about I reckon he would get snapped up. He is exactly what Lyon likes in a beautiful kick.

I wish we could trade pick 8 and a F1 for 6 and 18 or at worse 6+20+24

The 6+7 combo +20+24+32 would be spectacular

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Just shows the options keeping pick 7 & 8 over trade time has given us.

Even us nuffies can come up with mutually beneficial pick trades that give us a whole different scope.

As SoS has shown twice now he is much more creative and in two drafts with pick trading has basically got us Henry and Macrea for a few spots lower in the second round.

What he may be working on with more than one club might be even more spectacular or innovative.

Has shown he can use the current system to his advantage.

Not anymore.

I like Langford but he looks a bit slow and tested that way, you surely wouldn’t take Smillie and Langford. I’m hoping someone takes Langford before our pick.

Smillie and Reid would be amazing. Such a great combo. Reid has absolutely pigged up lately and kicks goals too, could start out as a dangerous forward.
Have been an advocate for both as I have the hots for a big mid like a Cripps or Bont (Smillie is nearly 196cm as a midfielder FFS) and a smooth moving Dal Santo type who is a good disposer of the ball (a Lyon requirement).
My only concern is they are pedestrian in pace but does that matter when we have on the outside, the likes of Sinclair and NAZ as HBF'ers, Hill and Wood on the wings and the likes of Wilson and Garcia who are extremely quick.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back