2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

🎯 Draft Period, November 20–21
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Wednesday, November 20
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Thursday, November 21
  • Rookie Promotions: Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Friday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Friday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Friday, November 22, 3.20pm

Last edited:
My preferable outcome is 8+32+F2 for 15+16+21.

My absolute hard rule at draft time. Is DO NOT REACH OR DRAFT NEED.

Draft BPA - every ****ing time.
Based on the value paid for Picks in or around the Top 10 this year.

In this deal scenario-
Out: 8+32.
In: 15+16+21.

If GWS want Travaglia, they can pay up.
8 for 15 and 16 is not enough our way.

On Pixel 6a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Based on the value paid for Picks in or around the Top 10 this year.

In this deal scenario-
Out: 8+32.
In: 15+16+21.

If GWS want Travaglia, they can pay up.
8 for 15 and 16 is not enough our way.

On Pixel 6a using BigFooty.com mobile app
You know those picks are first rounders from the Giants right? 😂

If we hold 8 and there isn’t an additional slider.

Im not against taking this bloke. King to CHF.

(Would prefer another mid. But I think he has a very balanced game that will translate)

Grabbing Armstrong or similiar would allow us to play Caminiti in defence. The hope of releasing Marshall forward have faded with a lack of quality ruckman available. Plus Sharman will always be best playing the 3rd tall role forward.

As good as Caminiti is forward I dont think he is a natural forward. He would be better suited with the play in front of him and minding an opponent. He has a great work ethic and attack on the ball, hence I think he would become a big bustling dominant CHB.

Splitting pick #8 would give us the chance to look at players like Shanahan or Jack Whitlock a little later in the draft. I dont think Armstrong is that far ahead of either.

Last edited:
As good as Caminiti is forward I dont think he is a natural forward. He would be better suited with the play in front of him and minding an opponent. He has a great work ethic and attack on the ball, hence I think he would become a big bustling dominant CHB.

Caminiti is still only 20. Personally I think he can play either end at a good level. But at either end he will get better with experience.

However apart from Wilkie, of our current players I believe that he is the best judge of a ball in flight on our list. Sometimes you look and think he is out of position, but time after time he just positions his body better than his opponent to have his hands just where the ball will be.

Membrey used to have this knack as well, but not quite as much now, plus some of his exceptional vertical leap has faded.

Then there is his vice like one grab hands.

Caminiti, like Sharman when he arrived, is not rounded enough in his game. Sharman however always had very good leading patterns, but Caminiti really needs to work on that, as well as the defensive side of his game. Caminiti has had the knack of getting into the right spot for opportunistic goals though.

Sharman is a beautiful kick on goal. Caminiti is only so so, but has already improved somewhat. He needs to improve more.

Caminiti is strong, and will geta lot stronger over the next couple of seasons in particular.

King has often been double team since he went bersek in a few cameo bursts early on. One opponent nudging him in the contest, while the other then just gathers the spolt bal.

King needs to lead more, and hopefully in 2025 will be fit enough to do so. But King also having the marking targets of Caminiti and Sharman up front will mean the opposition coach double teaming King will be less effective as it will free up our other targets. Well if our players upfield are sart enough to use the best target.

There is still a chance Lalor could get to us, depends on Melbourne. I don't think that Adelaide take Lalor if Sid Draper is gone.

Richmond 1 - Finn O'Sullivan
Richmond 2 - Jagga Smith
Carlton 3 - Sid Draper
Adelaide 4 - Harvey Langford
Melbourne 5 - Josh Smillie
North Melbourne 6 - Alix Tauru
St Kilda 7 - Sam Lalor

Most likely outcome (right now imo)

Richmond 1 - Sam Lalor
Richmond 2 - Jagga Smith
Carlton 3 - Finn O'Sullivan
Adelaide 4 - Sid Draper
Melbourne 5 - Harvey Langford
St Kilda 7 - Josh Smillie

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stav, I know everyone has gone cold on Trainor since he was concussed but if we did get 15 & 16 do you think we’d consider him there?
yes, if he lasts as long as 15/16 then you take the punt, if it doesn't work and the concussions are an issue then I am okay with it. Not as if you are burning a number 1 pick. His upside is huge and was in top 2 contention pre-concussion rumours.

I like Langford but he looks a bit slow and tested that way, you surely wouldn’t take Smillie and Langford. I’m hoping someone takes Langford before our pick.

I love Langford. Just doesn’t play bad games ever. Paddy Cripps type IMO.

I’m smelling 2 distinct camps here.

Or

I’d be happy with both. Socks up and all business and a bit of glitter and flash. Don’t mind that combo. A bit of speculation and a bit of a low risk type.

There is still a chance Lalor could get to us, depends on Melbourne. I don't think that Adelaide take Lalor if Sid Draper is gone.

Richmond 1 - Finn O'Sullivan
Richmond 2 - Jagga Smith
Carlton 3 - Sid Draper
Adelaide 4 - Harvey Langford
Melbourne 5 - Josh Smillie
St Kilda 7 - Sam Lalor

Most likely outcome (right now imo)

Richmond 1 - Sam Lalor
Richmond 2 - Jagga Smith
Carlton 3 - Finn O'Sullivan
Adelaide 4 - Sid Draper
Melbourne 5 - Harvey Langford
St Kilda 7 - Josh Smillie
Lalor is 0 chance

I tend to agree.

Our midfield mix next year will be
Steele, Macrae, Clark, Jones, Henry, Windhager, Dow, Phillipou, Wilson, Owens, Garcia & Pick 7

While it’s far from a premiership midfield, you can make an argument that each of Henry, Clark, Windhager, Dow, Phillipou, Owens, Wilson & Garcia have the scope to significantly improve what we do around the ball

I’m not opposed to splitting 8 for 15/16 (or thereabouts), and adding some young talent to other areas or taking 8 and drafting Armstrong.
It doesn’t look overly great on paper does it but maybe I’m being pessimistic?

It doesn’t look overly great on paper does it but maybe I’m being pessimistic?

I think given time Phillipou, Garcia, Windhager, Wilson #7 & #8 will be our go to mids. If you take out the older blokes and look at our future set up is much brighter.

Hopefully we will also have Peckett coming through, and a big if Hall ever gets going he will contribute aswell.

Last edited:
I think given time Phillipou, Garcia, Windhager, Wilson #7 & #8 will be our go to mids. If you take out the older blokes and look our future set up is much brighter.

Hopefully we will also have Peckett coming through, and a big if Hall ever gets going he will contribute aswell.
Book mark it now Hall will not make it, his numbers at VFL level don't jump out at you i consider this another wasted list spot.

Book mark it now Hall will not make it, his numbers at VFL level don't jump out at you i consider this another wasted list spot.
Hall was playing in a completely new system AND was played out of position, of course his numbers don't jump out

But if you watch the VFL games, you would've seen some really nice glimpses especially in the final game where he clearly stood out as one of the BOGs. Played like Henry where it was more damage per disposal rather than quantity

He showed a significant improvement post-injury - probably after more education and learning more about our game style

I reckon with 3-5 more rounds of the season, he would've made a debut

He's 22. Had 2 years wiped out by knees when he was 16 and 17 AND was in the COVID cohort so had zero continuity. Once he started playing again, Dalrymple said he was one of the biggest 2023 off-season improvers in the state leagues, hence his good form at the start of the year

This has late-bloomer written all over it if I've ever seen one.

He has a really high disposal average so just as likely as any of the 8+ candidates imo plus he's certainly the most gifted of the 8+ and maybe even has a couple of the top 7 covered on pure talent

Taj is going to be one of the most interesting watches on draft night.

Before the knee he was tracking as a potential top 5 pick & sounded like he was a real point of difference to the other boys at the pointy end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hall was playing in a completely new system AND was played out of position, of course his numbers don't jump out

But if you watch the VFL games, you would've seen some really nice glimpses especially in the final game where he clearly stood out as one of the BOGs. Played like Henry where it was more damage per disposal rather than quantity

He showed a significant improvement post-injury - probably after more education and learning more about our game style

I reckon with 3-5 more rounds of the season, he would've made a debut

He's 22. Had 2 years wiped out by knees when he was 16 and 17 AND was in the COVID cohort so had zero continuity. Once he started playing again, Dalrymple said he was one of the biggest 2023 off-season improvers in the state leagues, hence his good form at the start of the year

This has late-bloomer written all over it if I've ever seen one.

Im not projecting he will be a star, but he was playing through a back injury which eventually cost him games. Lets see what he looks like injury free and with a full preseason.

Hotton is the other if he gets another year. He came to the club with a back injury and really only got going in the second half of this year

At least let the young guy have a preseason and see what happens next year. The little that I saw of him playing for Box Hill and Sandy generated some interest from me. Maybe revisit this next year and we can both see how he has progressed.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back