2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

🎯 Draft Period, November 20–21
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Wednesday, November 20
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Thursday, November 21
  • Rookie Promotions: Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Friday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Friday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Friday, November 22, 3.20pm

Last edited:
Can the kicking be improved once drafted in a professional environment?
It can but not as much as other attributes from what I’ve seen

Very rare to see a poor kick be trained into a noticeably above average kick - normally they just become ‘competent’ ball users because the focus is on improving their strengths

Clayton Oliver was a horrible kick early in his career but he went to work and has become serviceable

Same for Lachie Neale I think

Allan will be drafted for his elite burst from stoppage, and clubs will back their program to tidy up his kicking. I just don’t think we have that need considering we have Pou already - who isn’t fast but they play similar roles as the burst attacking mid. I’d prefer Reid over him

Problem with Allan has always been his kicking. Everyone has known all year that he’s extremely athletic (just maybe not to the extent of his elite combine testing)

Plays like Jack Crisp imo
Is Elliot Yeo a decent comparison to Allan? Allan seems to have the agility and leap of Yeo.. who is also not the best kick although not bad.. Yeo is a gun who unfortunately had a lot of injuries

Last edited:
Ive been back and watched Bo Allan's finals games for Peel seniors, his closing speed is insane (RTB would love him) I do. He was played as a defensive mid and didnt get huge numbers but his pressure was exceptional. I know its a huge call but this kid moves like Chris Judd, is it any wonder the WA clubs are keen to grab him. His speed and midfield games against quality WAFL finalists has elevated him to a top 5 option in my view. I wouldnt be surprised if our club has him rated very highly and will be wrapt to take him at pick #7.

Below are the highlight Noobers done up for the games -

injuries withstanding, this fella is going to make it as an afl footballer, he'll probably frustrate his supporters at times but he'd be a worthy addition to any club with the way he attacks the ball and man. Would be stoked to get him cheap but not likely. Has elite athleticism and attack on the ball

Is Elliot Yeo a decent comparison to Allan? Allan seems to have the agility and leap of Yeo.. who is also not the best kick although not bad.. Yeo is a gun who unfortunately had a lot of injuries
Yeah. I think Allan has a better 20m but both are powerful and agile. Yeo’s attack on the ball is in a league of its own but Allan isn’t far behind. they’re fairly similar

Can the kicking be improved once drafted in a professional environment?
For example, Stewie Loewe & Rooey improved their goalkicking as time wore on. Banger Harvey couldn't kick over 35m for most of his career, but late, I'm certain he was kicking longer. Caydn Beetham, Clint Jones & Jason Daniels were so bad, no teaching could help them haha.
Actually it was revealed later that Beetham had a disease that caused a curve in his upper back, which caused him chronic pain & which likely affected his kicking. He retired because of it.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smilie and Reid should be Tier 1, otherwise, yeah, I’d agree with it.

Even those two are probably fair if you consider how they might play in the AFL system. Both have legitimates question marks over their midfield impact at the top level. They probably both end up mids but potentially not so get a mark down.

Except that Tauru is 193cm, not sml. to med.
And means we should be taking T.Hotton with pick 8 after Lombard bid.
Imagine that, take Hotton before Langford, Reid & Smillie
Lots of nervous breakdowns in here.

He plays more like a third tall despite his height. He's not a KP, he more athletic than strong. Sam Gilbert was probably a similar height but wasn't a KPP.

I still get the feeling the likely scenario is all of Lalor, FOS, Jagga, Langford, Smillie, Draper being off the board by the time our picks roll around.

Are we comfortable with a Murphy Reid and change?
I am but I dont know as much as the recruiters. Reid and Allan both look good IMO if we want mids... maybe Tauru .. seems a few options there. Reid may well be a gun and it is far from clear he will last until our pick.

He plays more like a third tall despite his height. He's not a KP, he more athletic than strong. Sam Gilbert was probably a similar height but wasn't a KPP.
Probably too shortsighted thinking from me, but Wilkie makes me unbothered by someone that size being more a third tall.

I'd take the chance and hope we can teach them some defensive craft by the time Wilkie retires.

Probably too shortsighted thinking from me, but Wilkie makes me unbothered by someone that size being more a third tall.

I'd take the chance and hope we can teach them some defensive craft by the time Wilkie retires.

Roberton was a very very good rebounding defender. It drove me insane when they kept trying to make him into a key defender. Just wasn't in him, despite his height.

I haven't seen enough of his kicking to truly understand how good this kid is, but Jacob Newton feels like a great option late in the draft. Mid/fwd but will probably be a (pressure) high half fwd in the AFL, maybe a bit Daniels like.

Jack Ough is my boy, but I'm claiming Newton as well as a smokie for later on.

With Tauru's attributes you wouldn't want him to be playing lockdown like Wilkie does (I know he also intercepts but his primary focus is always to shut out his opposition). Clubs will get the best out of him by letting him attack the ball and play off his man - like Tom Stewart (who isn't expected to shut out an opponent)

If we want a lockdown player then we target that need later in the draft - a top 10 pick for a role player in a midfield-heavy draft is not the play imo. Mraz and O'Farrell could be available at our 2nd rounder, while we also have Cole as an NGA

I haven't seen enough of his kicking to truly understand how good this kid is, but Jacob Newton feels like a great option late in the draft. Mid/fwd but will probably be a (pressure) high half fwd in the AFL, maybe a bit Daniels like.

Jack Ough is my boy, but I'm claiming Newton as well as a smokie for later on.
I'd rather just keep Hotton if we want a Newton-type

Doubt we'll have the list space/draft picks for him anyway after Cole & Hofmann

With Tauru's attributes you wouldn't want him to be playing lockdown like Wilkie does (I know he also intercepts but his primary focus is always to shut out his opposition). Clubs will get the best out of him by letting him attack the ball and play off his man - like Tom Stewart (who isn't expected to shut out an opponent)

If we want a lockdown player then we target that need later in the draft - a top 10 pick for a role player in a midfield-heavy draft is not the play imo. Mraz and O'Farrell could be available at our 2nd rounder, while we also have Cole as an NGA
No one said make him a lock down. But these days even the third tall needs some defensive capabilities. If thats a weakness, we have years to teach him that before Wilkie departs.

No one said make him a lock down. But these days even the third tall needs some defensive capabilities. If thats a weakness, we have years to teach him that before Wilkie departs.
I know you didn't say that but I don't see him as a Wilkie replacement if we take him - he's more a Battle replacement

Wilkie is a lot more accountable while Battle goes for intercepts and only plays defensive when there is a specific matchup for him (like Jeremy Cameron). The latter is where I see Tauru playing his best footy and yes, I do agree that any defender (including Nas) requires education in defensive craft

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back