List Mgmt. 2024 Father Son watch MKIII. Operation Ashcroft jnr. Featuring various academy boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

You mean as a mobile third tall who can chop out in the ruck?

Very.
IDK, but Oscar is one of my favourite non Lions and I’m sure he’d look good in 17 other forward lines but he’d have the Gabba shaking as much as Joe and Charles do. I reckon he’d also get a few female bums on seats too.

We need someone in there who is a bit more mobile than a resting ruck as the third tall.
Someone who is predominantly a forward who can ruck as a chop out but also able to provide a bit of pressure when the ball hits the ground.
I do prefer a more athletic forward who can chop out in the ruck - generally the 70% game time in the forward line is more important than the 20% ruck time.

But we do have two more athletic lighter forwards in Daniher and Hipwood. So on forward balance I'd rather a stronger contested forward to balance them. But that means one of Joe or Hipwood is in the ruck. But of a conundrum on our forward line balance

If that list floating around about who the Saints could have had with their first round selections makes anyone else curious about our own drafting record:

2. Will Ashcroft (18 games Father/Son, next picks were Harry Sheezel 23, George Wardlaw 8, and Elijah Tsatas 4)
12. Jaspa Fletcher (14 games Father/Son, next picks were Jedd Busslinger 0, Elijah Hewett 14, and Matthew Jefferson 0
Doesn't make a lot of sense to include players like Ashcroft and Fletcher who we matched bids on. If we hadn't matched the bids, we wouldn't have then been able to take the next kid picked by the next club -- our next picks were some distance down the order, so it's not as though we somehow missed out on Sheezel or Busslinger

Doesn't make a lot of sense to include players like Ashcroft and Fletcher who we matched bids on. If we hadn't matched the bids, we wouldn't have then been able to take the next kid picked by the next club -- our next picks were some distance down the order, so it's not as though we somehow missed out on Sheezel or Busslinger
Yeah I didn't bother with all that stuff (hence having Academy and F/S picks in the next 3 selections for other players as well) just listed them all out. It's still interesting to see how Ashcroft and Fletcher compare to those rated similarly. Both looking pretty favourable at this stage IMO.

Watch his draft highlights and they were shocking. Not surprising he was such a late pick

That’s the art of recruiting. Some players do a couple of special things and their job is to predict where that talent might take them in the right environment over the next few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You would think we take a key position forward or back at our first pick depending who's available, eg. Will McCabe, Arie Shoenmaker, Archer Reid, Logan Morris(3rd tall height).

If we are after a big bodied mid what about George Stevens(rated at 28 by Twomey), he's a man child already at 189cm and 93kg.

You would think we take a key position forward or back at our first pick depending who's available, eg. Will McCabe, Arie Shoenmaker, Archer Reid, Logan Morris(3rd tall height).

If we are after a big bodied mid what about George Stevens(rated at 28 by Twomey), he's a man child already at 189cm and 93kg.
It seems on paper we would have enough KPD depth now with all of Harris, Payne, Dizzy, Lester and Joyce already on the list and Doedee soon to be.
So I would be definitely chasing a third tall forward type.
Would love to trade up a bit to get best possible but I very much doubt that is likely to happen.

And Brayshaw over Cam, Ballard instead of Wooller.
Not yet willing to say Rayner over Brayshaw was a blunder. Rayner is only 23 and missed a whole year with an ACL. It took De Goey until 25 to become a full time mid and that's without doing a knee. Brayshaw is good but doesn't have the same game-breaking impact that De Goey does and I still suspect Rayner can bring eventually.

Looks a likely type.

Exactly what we need, at 192cm a third tall.

Could possibly be still available come our first pick. Fox Sports have him rated 26.

Looks ok on the highlights reel. Got a bit of Tim Membrey about him. Not unlike Daniel Bradshaw in size. Good balance compared to the tall blokes we have already.

I’m being unfair on Stevens.

But his lack of speed and agility would hold him back playing a midfield role.

He may not even make it as a defender for the same reason.

He’s genuinely a ver smart and skilled player though.

Just my opinion.

At this stage, the top end of next year’s draft looks stronger and deeper than the last few years.

A lot (I mean a lot) of bottom age kids played CTL this year, and were main players in their teams.

So much so, that Vic Metro’s midfield was almost entirely bottom agers at this year’s championships.

Same applied to SA, and their MVP was a bottom age mid.

I believe Levi is bid on in the 5 to 10 range.

Marshall is a potential end of first round, early second round candidate.

Not sure of the ranges for Gillett and Gilder. A lot will depend on their development over the next 12 months.
Will we be able to take all 4 of them? Or only 3? Not sure how the academy rules tie in with father sons...

Will we be able to take all 4 of them? Or only 3? Not sure how the academy rules tie in with father sons...
The only restriction on academy kids is based on a teams finishing position.

Finish top 4, and a team is only allowed to match 1 bid on an academy kid in the top 20.

Father Son kids have no such restrictions.

Finish 8th to 5th and a team is allowed to match bids on 2 academy kids in the top 20.

Finish outside the 8, and there is no restriction on the number of academy kids teams are allowed to match.

Wonder if Jordan Croft might be available in open draft and where he might go?

Looks like he's well advised - can see a conga line of forwards in Dogs list and he's likely to be playing in reserves for a while if he goes there. I'd say Naughton deal might've got him thinking even more.

Wonder if Jordan Croft might be available in open draft and where he might go?

Looks like he's well advised - can see a conga line of forwards in Dogs list and he's likely to be playing in reserves for a while if he goes there. I'd say Naughton deal might've got him thinking even more.

One would think he has given the Dogs an indication he is nominating them, otherwise their trade with Gold Coast doesn’t make sense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back