Oppo Camp 2024 Finals Discussion (other games)

Remove this Banner Ad

My view is that the Brownlow voting has the most integrity and accuracy when it picks a first time winner, someone without the “approved winner” stamp. This isn’t a strict rule as there are always exceptions. Nick Daicos will violate that rule. Matthew Priddis did. But by and large first time winners tend to be better choices as they had to fight their way above the approved narrative.

I have no idea how to improve the system other than perhaps a blend of umpire (50%), coaches (25%), and fans (25%) voting on each game each week. Or something along those lines.

I wonder how many coaches' votes Blake Hardwick has received over the years. Would be a heck of a lot more than two!

Fwiw, I regard the coaches' votes as being more relevant than those from umpires, who have enough to focus their attention on during games without having to worry about who's having a good game and who isn't. Who knows, perhaps they might even improve their core task of umpiring the game if the responsibility of allocating Brownlow votes was taken away from them!

Why not have an independent adjudicator for 3-2-1 Brownlow votes at each game? All you'll need is a rotating panel comprising around a dozen folk. The votes can be sealed as they're currently done, to preserve security.

We already have a panel for Norm Smith votes for the GF. Why not extend that for the Brownlow? We might then even have defenders or forwards winning it occasionally...

Enjoy the Browlow for what it is

A promotional tool for WAGs and Sports betting agencies.

It puts the AFL in the media spotight.

Do not expect the winner to be without doubt the best player in the game.

The chance of a random upset is a great part of the awards mystique. (See betting agencies as above)

I wonder how many coaches' votes Blake Hardwick has received over the years. Would be a heck of a lot more than two!

Fwiw, I regard the coaches' votes as being more relevant than those from umpires, who have enough to focus their attention on during games without having to worry about who's having a good game and who isn't. Who knows, perhaps they might even improve their core task of umpiring the game if the responsibility of allocating Brownlow votes was taken away from them!

Why not have an independent adjudicator for 3-2-1 Brownlow votes at each game? All you'll need is a rotating panel comprising around a dozen folk. The votes can be sealed as they're currently done, to preserve security.

We already have a panel for Norm Smith votes for the GF. Why not extend that for the Brownlow? We might then even have defenders or forwards winning it occasionally...
1. Coaches votes can be manipulated. We've seen Chris Scott give players votes in games they weren't in the top players by any metric.

2. Panels don't work. aa is proof of that. As is the 3 times Dustin Martin won the norm Smith when he wasn't in the top players on the ground (ok, he maybe deserved one)

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp 2024 Finals Discussion (other games)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back