Oppo Camp 2024 Finals Discussion (other games)

Remove this Banner Ad

Who gives a stuff about the bookies.

Next year we go in as second favourites not because someone looking to exploit a mug for a bcyk says so, but because we played incredible footy and will only get better.
Brisbane get top billing because they had an incredible year, have a very talented list and are about to draft a handful of top-liners over the coming years.

The best predictor of who wins a Grand Final is if a team is good enough to win an away Preliminary Final then they'll win the Grand Final.

So it's Brisbane.

Just quoting myself because this stat just holds up.

The best predictor of who wins a Grand Final is if a team is good enough to win an away Preliminary Final then they'll win the Grand Final.

So it's Brisbane

It's funny when you compare the Swans 23 Vs the Lions 23 a 60 point margin almost seems only slightly overs.

The Lions have a much greater spread of talent across all three lines (especially in the forward line).

Whereas the Swans rely on a handful of absolute guns to get the job done with some role players which is risky if only one or two of the guns has a down day / gets injured.

I hope teams try to copy the lions style. They move the ball in a controlled manner from the back half. Teams won’t be challenging us with much fast ball movement.

Just need to match Brisbane in contests around the ground and they can’t move the ball at all because of how slow they move it.
Sam himself has said that he wants to be developing the team to play the style of footy that will be ahead of the curve, rather than just copying what the current leading team is doing. Very smart man Sam is.

Just adding...Sydney should be banned from Grand Final day for the next 6 years. 5 minutes after halftime I zoned out of the replay and was watching the wife's TV show.
If Sydney qualify they should designate a proxy team from the top 8 to play in their place.

Nah I reckon that's too simple - no team rolls out onto grand final thinking it'll be easy - especially when they lost one two years earlier.

Their midfield was just demolished - and they don't have a second tier midfield to roll through.

They've been playing Warner off a forward flank which is a nice weapon but they just don't have depth to take heeny and/or Warner out - especailly when they're getting beaten.
Defensively did anyone notice that loose zone that the Swans were playing all day? I don't remember them playing that set up down there all season. It's almost as if they tried to play a certain way that was unnatural to them and all season long they were up an in the oppos face not giving them room to move.

I also reckon they played 3-4 players that weren't 100% in Heeney, McDonald, Papely and Hayward which wasn't ever going to end well. Wonder how Mills feels after now knowing that Heeney was allowed to play injured and then McDonald only lasting about 10-15 minutes after it was reported that he got through his fitness test.

Defensively did anyone notice that loose zone that the Swans were playing all day? I don't remember them playing that set up down there all season. It's almost as if they tried to play a certain way that was unnatural to them and all season long they were up an in the oppos face not giving them room to move.

I also reckon they played 3-4 players that weren't 100% in Heeney, McDonald, Papely and Hayward which wasn't ever going to end well. Wonder how Mills feels after now knowing that Heeney was allowed to play injured and then McDonald only lasting about 10-15 minutes after it was reported that he got through his fitness test.
It looked more like brisbane played their man on man “zone” better and it hurt Sydney in every contest. They had no answers to just classic footy.

It looked more like brisbane played their man on man “zone” better and it hurt Sydney in every contest. They had no answers to just classic footy.
Swans players were always a step away and Brissy players were open very early in the game. I reckon the Swans tried to change something defensively and they couldn't execute it.

Nah I reckon that's too simple - no team rolls out onto grand final thinking it'll be easy - especially when they lost one two years earlier.

Their midfield was just demolished - and they don't have a second tier midfield to roll through.

They've been playing Warner off a forward flank which is a nice weapon but they just don't have depth to take heeny and/or Warner out - especailly when they're getting beaten.
Was always a chance of happening. Their midfield was demolished against Port. It’s just port was unable to take advantage of it.

This game Swans defence was also out of sorts and their whole defensive set up imploded.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Observations from today

Walked past Dylan Moore lower levels of ponsford stand nd wanted to thank hi. For such a great year but then realised I was wearing a lions scarf (I know…it’s a sin…however I’m technically a lions member this year plus I have a soft spot for ****)

Hawks will dominate with Battle and Barrass. Harris Andrew’s dominated today. To think we’re adding 2x players of his style.

Mackenzie is our Ashcroft. Title says it really

Sydney struggled without an A grade forward. Yes their midfield struggled. However McLean / Amarty / McDonald were no where near it. If we’re to compete we need to throw an A grader forward and Sicily seems like that man

Train Serong with the forwards this pre season. He isn’t going to get a game in defence. Could be our 3rd tall forward.worth a try

Swans players were always a step away and Brissy players were open very early in the game. I reckon the Swans tried to change something defensively and they couldn't execute it.
Lions players had an absurd amount of free space ahead of the ball. They showed some behind the scenes footage with players standing 20 metres all by themselves in the forward 50.

They scored a lot of easy goals from the swans defenders giving way too much space.

It looked more like a team who can’t make finals having given up in the last round than a team in the grand final.

IMG_2376.jpeg
1727534204472.png
I have returned from the wrath of salty Geelong fans. Absolutely beautiful moment to see Fages get up in the Grand Final. No one deserves it more with all the crap that he and Clarko have been put through in the last several years, as well as having to save Brisbane from the brink of extinction. It was also great to see all the Hawthorn links throughout the day, particularly Parkin and Leigh. Today just further reinforces why we are the strongest club of the last 60 years.
But make no mistake. It was Chris Fagan's day and his alone. And he deserves it. It takes something special to beat Longmire tactically, but Fagan outdid him by the length of the Flemington Straight.

They get Ashcroft Jnr next year and get Coleman back from the ACL. They’ll only get better.
People keep saying this like it’s a foregone conclusion. Firstly Zorko has a AA year at 35 replacing Coleman, whether Coleman can reach that level is a doubt and you wouldn’t want to carry 2 defenders who can’t defend and Neale will be 32 next year and Daniher may retire and is there only good key forward. I actually don’t think lions will be dynasty but should open as flag faves.

Swans are way overrated though, FWD line sucks outside of Papley and mids have the rolls Royce’s but not the grunt. Today I saw Dunks dominate at the hard stuff allowing Clug, Neale and Ashcroft to dominate on the spread. You need those hard nosed players and swans just don’t have it. Also people love talking up the development of players at the swans but in the last 11 drafts these have been there non academy picks in the top 20 Green, Sheldrick, Ling, Zak Jones, McDonald, Florent, Stephens, Campbell, Konstanty……. Average at best the majority of those. But they’ve gotten Heeney, Mills, Blakey as academy players unfairly which has swayed peoples opinions on there poor development.

I don’t hate the swans like the cats but poetic justice seeing Dunkley dominate today as a FS lost when they took Blakey who should be playing for kangas.

Maybe this is a bit of hindsight but I have no idea how Sydney led the whole comp all year with that forward line.
I've been watching Amartey closely for a number of weeks and unless he gets off the leash for an uncontested mark he is absolutely useless. Who else have they got up there? Worse than Collingwood' s forwardline last year.

I really hate the swans but I've got respect for Parker. Heeney and Warner are good at the self-congratulation and they just didn't get it going. I know Heeney loves a big third quarter but it was too late. Horse didn't know how to use him best either when the team was so far down.

i enhoy watching Brisbane. I think their small forwards are awesome and fun to watch. Their key forwards are rubbish and they found a way around that (by going to Morris instead of Daniher or Hipwood) and their backline is a joy to watch: Starcevic, Harris, Wilmot and the other big dude - Lester? They just showed what a backline should be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp 2024 Finals Discussion (other games)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back