Oppo Camp 2024 Finals Discussion (other games)

Remove this Banner Ad

All Sydney's weaknesses were exposed by a very good team in red hot form.

Their tall forward are C graders
Their tall defenders are C graders (not Blakey)
Their small defenders are worse.
Their gun mids are one way.

All these areas are glossed over when you dominate in the midfield.

Brisbane were peaking and a handful of kids really took them to another level this season. Ashcroft, Lohman, Wilmot, Fletcher and Morris were the difference from last year.

and Dane Rampe.

I couldn't have been more unimpressed with his media work this past week.

Brisbane were peaking and a handful of kids really took them to another level this season. Ashcroft, Lohman, Wilmot, Fletcher and Morris were the difference from last year.
I agree with all this - but how were Sydney able to sit on top of the ladder all year with such glaring weaknesses

I don’t get the comparison. We have the mosquito fleet and Sydney have Papley! Plus Lewis when fit, Dear in his early stages and hopefully Weddle moving forward next year have loads more natural talent than those 3 land posts playing for Sydney.

I mean more in the doesn't kick a lot of goals, and Lewis is never fit so we can't include him, we need another tall to go with Dear, if Weddle is to move forward, Brisbanes forward line looks very much like our 3peat in scoring power.

I agree with all this - but how were Sydney able to sit on top of the ladder all year with such glaring weaknesses
I think it took a very good team to expose them.
Their mids are very good. They are well drilled and Heeney was on another level.

They flew out of the blocks and wet sailed from there.

It can be a fine line.

Their mids are very good. They are well drilled and Heeney was on another level.

It can be a fine line.
Yeh I agree. They cruised through the finals - so despite shortcomings they're definitely a very good team.

But Lions just demolished them. It was quite stunning to watch after quarter time - especially with Brisbane missing their first choice ruckman. I think the dropoff for sydney's midfield after Warner and Heeney (not counting Gulden cos he's a winger) is really steep. And Brisbane batted much deeper and shut those guys down well.

Horse seemed to play Warner off a forward flank for a lot of the game which I thought was a bit weird

Their mindset certainly wasn't on the same level as the Lions .
It was a bit similar to 2014 .
At 1/4 time the scoreboard is close but the eye tells you that one team is just a lot harder, more composed and willing to do more to win for the team .

2nd quarter the the gates open and by half time we are effectively game over .

They didn't think it would be easy but it looked like they thought they could just keep their 'form' rolling along to win .

The parallels with the 2014 GF are plenty. Both then and this year the Swans had an easy prelim and their opponents had a tough one. They were soft when it mattered.

It can be a fine line.
They were thumped in the tough stuff. Dominated in contested footy and clearances and their tackling was poor. It was a lamentable grand final performance.

I thought Neale was bog. Just dominated from the source all day. Very similar to what Mitchell did to them in 2014. Longmire doesn’t learn

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I tipped that

They were thumped in the tough stuff. Dominated in contested footy and clearances and their tackling was poor. It was a lamentable grand final performance.

I thought Neale was bog. Just dominated from the source all day. Very similar to what Mitchell did to them in 2014. Longmire doesn’t learn

Possibly the worst minor premier ever

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp 2024 Finals Discussion (other games)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back