2024 Fixture

Did the AFL actually compensate us in the fixture for last year's finals debacle?

• Sort of - Better difficulty, but commercial fixture as expected or worse

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

the "Opening Round" is more about the victorian clubs involved, not the non victorian ones
Always. Every decision is made through a lens of 'how will this benefit the Victorian teams'.
They have effectively scheduled an extra set of nationally televised, free to air games, and all just coincidently feature big victorian clubs.
Nation competition my arse.

The dopiest thing about this Opening Round is this.

I get the idea of playing the 4 games in NSW & Qld to try and get a leg up while the NRL in Las Vegas. Fine.

But then the AFL just has to have all 4 opposition teams from Victoria. They couldn't dare have a non-Vic team involved.

I hate to say it, but Port deserve to be there, and they should be playing Brisbane. They have been near the top for 4 years, and their games against Brisbane are usually good ones. They also have a history with their only flag being against Brisbane. But no. They need to play Carlton.

And Sydney had to play Melbourne. That team that is falling apart with its drinking, drug and gambling culture. They couldn't put us there. We would have more fans in Sydney than Melbourne have. A Swans v Crows game would have added spice based on last years game.

But no, they need to play Melbourne.

Hey, let's not forget last year they finally relented and gave us a Friday night primetime Showdown!

Oh that's right. It was hidden away on PayTV because they just HAD to put a Vic v Vic snoozefest on FTA at the same time. They had one of the greatest Showdowns of all time there for the taking on a Friday night but no one else saw it because they couldn't cope without a Vic game on at the same time.

Always. Every decision is made through a lens of 'how will this benefit the Victorian teams'.
They have effectively scheduled an extra set of nationally televised, free to air games, and all just coincidently feature big victorian clubs.
Nation competition my arse.
Absolutely delusional to think otherwise.

Absolutely delusional to think otherwise.
Infuriates how corrupt the league is.

If the Victorians could just get their head out of their own backsides, we could have an incredible, even, national competition. One that is actually stronger than what we have now.

Instead, every AFL announcement...
Richard Nixon Corruption GIF by GIPHY News

Hey, let's not forget last year they finally relented and gave us a Friday night primetime Showdown!

Oh that's right. It was hidden away on PayTV because they just HAD to put a Vic v Vic snoozefest on FTA at the same time. They had one of the greatest Showdowns of all time there for the taking on a Friday night but no one else saw it because they couldn't cope without a Vic game on at the same time.
A Friday Night Showdown would be epic, city will be alive and Adelaide will be the centre of AFL world, which is why it will never happen.

If anything having a Friday Night Showdown would be a ratings bonanza. The teams should be a lot closer and tighter next year.

Infuriates how corrupt the league is.

If the Victorians could just get their head out of their own backsides, we could have an incredible, even, national competition. One that is actually stronger than what we have now.

Instead, every AFL announcement...
Richard Nixon Corruption GIF by GIPHY News
The AFL would rather have a Biden type leader in charge than a competent one, so that they can control him.

confused-joe-biden.gif

My read on Opening Round is that the AFL's push into Gold Coast and western Sydney hasn't gone as well as planned and they're hoping to increase interest though this round
The game is flying on the Gold Coast , crowds aren’t the only measure

Having 4x 1st round picks and also huge participation numbers is proof

If the suns can start playing finals crowds will catch up very fast

Western Sydney is tough but Giants making great fist of it , more a mainstream sport in sydney because of their efforts

The dopiest thing about this Opening Round is this.

I get the idea of playing the 4 games in NSW & Qld to try and get a leg up while the NRL in Las Vegas. Fine.

But then the AFL just has to have all 4 opposition teams from Victoria. They couldn't dare have a non-Vic team involved.

I hate to say it, but Port deserve to be there, and they should be playing Brisbane. They have been near the top for 4 years, and their games against Brisbane are usually good ones. They also have a history with their only flag being against Brisbane. But no. They need to play Carlton.

And Sydney had to play Melbourne. That team that is falling apart with its drinking, drug and gambling culture. They couldn't put us there. We would have more fans in Sydney than Melbourne have. A Swans v Crows game would have added spice based on last years game.

But no, they need to play Melbourne.
in reality, it mostly makes sense actually who they picked.

If only it was Essendon instead of Carlton.

ANZAC Day is midweek

You give Melbourne/Richmond the bye before their game, Collingwood/Essendon after their game.
Throw in Brisbane/someone before Easter, and have that someone else play the foxtel good friday game against say us (Adelaide vs Sydney Good Friday???)

Maybe throw a GWS onto a Thursday Night game too and they have the bye the week prior.

AFL clearly going aggressive against NRL with week earlier start and playing exclusively in northern states.
Actually I think I'm wrong, Brisbane playing in Perth. We are probably playing Gold Coast. YAY! Except it will either be stinking hot, wet or both!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't wait to hear all about how much we have been 'looked after' by the AFL - despite our draw still being not even close to what the big Vic clubs get every year.

and yet Sam McClure continues to spruik how unfair it is for the rest of the comp that Adelaide and Port get an extra home game because of Gather round

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I can't wait to hear all about how much we have been 'looked after' by the AFL - despite our draw still being not even close to what the big Vic clubs get every year.

Seems we’ve already been dudded playing away in round 1.

Playing away in the final round doesn’t matter anymore due to the pre-finals bye, yet they’re happy to give Gold Coast two games at home to start the year.

It would be ideal to play the Kangas at Docklands in round 1.

1) It is a winnable match

2) We will not be subjected to the brutal weather like last year.

3) It means we will not be playing the Kangas in Tassie.

Come on VFL, you can throw us a few crumbs.
That would be good although shite teams can pull off a win round 1 at home

I’d be happy with GC away into Cats at home

It would be ideal to play the Kangas at Docklands in round 1.

1) It is a winnable match

2) We will not be subjected to the brutal weather like last year.

3) It means we will not be playing the Kangas in Tassie.

Come on VFL, you can throw us a few crumbs.
Gold coast play GWS in gather round so very unlikely to be doubled up in round 1.

Back