Discussion 2024 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Isn't Jimmy Webster a good bloke? Wasn't Paddy Ryder a good bloke?

Don't get it

This is the part where the Tribunal chairs go "well, we don't have to consider anything and Charlie is a good bloke so we thought he was legit" and their amendments to the rule instances say "you right" and job done.

Boys club going to boys club.

The overturning of Cameron's one week suspension is unbelievable. What an absolute farce the Tribunal is, ridiculous.
They said he’d never been reported before.
3 fines….what is that if not being charged?

The biggest overhaul, bugger the arc, has to be the MRO.
Time for a different one - surely couldn’t be worse.
Yes, I know this was the tribunal, but still.

Meantime Webster, has never been reported.

They's said that due to costs, they'd prefer clubs not to contest charges at the tribunal.
Well duh , if there is a random chance that the player will get off, they will contest.
Costs more for the clubs and more for the AFL doing all this bullshit.

Surely we can appeal the rest of his suspension based on new evidence coming to light.

There's something fishy about this. People are already talking about Collingwood ignoring Murphy's protocols during last year's GF to get him back on, (I'm not aware of the full story, perhaps other readers are?), so this very much looks to me like hush money.

That video isn't a great look. He looks like a hostage and sounds a step away from being a legume.

Admittedly, I'm glad to see Murphy go, but it is very sad to lose another player so early to CTE. Expect more early retirees though as players wise up to the effects of playing AFL. The hits are a lot harder than they were a few years ago.

exactly! What is the difference between Cameron and Webster? Jimmy has had a much longer career too.

We shouldn’t be knocking Charlie Cameron. His team has probably just applied a defence strategy that was used in the past with players like Pendlebury and Dangerfield.

I agree the number of games a player has played or their representation within the community should be irrelevant to the process.

However I actually didn’t think the action was tribunal worthy. I agree with the argument that Lever amplified the action to draw a free kick.

A penalty in game was all that needed.

We shouldn’t be knocking Charlie Cameron. His team has probably just applied a defence strategy that was used in the past with players like Pendlebury and Dangerfield.

I agree the number of games a player has played or their representation within the community should be irrelevant to the process.

However I actually didn’t think the action was tribunal worthy. I agree with the argument that Lever amplified the action to draw a free kick.

Haven't really seen anyone knocking Charlie Cameron, but disagree about the tackle. While on the lower end of the scale, it still seemed to me to be the kind of action they're trying to outlaw from the game. If there's to be any sort of vague consistency at the MRO/Tribunal, he gets a one week suspension for that every time. As for the good bloke defence, what a bloody farce! Amateur hour once again.

Absolute shambles all round.

Christian got it wrong - should have been a fine as there was no actual impact.

Tribunal got it wrong in changing it back to a fine for the wrong reasons.

AFL got it completely wrong by saying the 1 week suspension was correct but then accepting the Tribunals finding.

AFL got it completely wrong by saying the 1 week suspension was correct but then accepting the Tribunals finding.
Reading The Age this morning - the AFL are still determining how much Cameron is to be fined - surely that should have been part of the penalty determined on the night - a compete stitch up!

Character references - even from the umps whose award it actually is - didn’t save Chris Grant - who also had a clean record - in 97.

Lever should have been fined for staging.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously tonight is not going to be a sell out Ive had no interest from anyone wanting to buy the tickets.

Be a shame they are not used so giving them away for FREE -

4 x adult tickets for sale for the Saints vs Bulldogs game 18th April all seated together Level 2 Row E seats 63-66.

PM me they are digital tickets.

This is the part where the Tribunal chairs go "well, we don't have to consider anything and Charlie is a good bloke so we thought he was legit" and their amendments to the rule instances say "you right" and job done.

Boys club going to boys club.

The funniest thing they said was that "almost 50% of players who've played 200+ games have at least one game of suspension". So in effect they were saying "most 200 gamers have never been suspended". So why did he get off if his record was the same as the majority of 200 gamers?

The annoying thing about the Cameron thins is that if you watch the minutes preceding his tackling, he was clearly robbed of 2 free kicks he should have been awarded.

Not only was his tackle but it was an intentional release of frustration. The weeks penalty should have remained.

Last edited:
The abboying thing about the Cameron thins is that if you watch the minutes preceding his tackling, he was clearly robbed of 2 free kicks he should have been awarded.

Not only was his tackle but it was an intentional release of frustration. The weeks penalty should have remained.

So the umpires should be fined.
If they had awarded the free kicks correctly the dangerous action wouldn't have occurred.

So the umpires should be fined.
If they had awarded the free kicks correctly the dangerous action wouldn't have occurred.

Haha same as Webster, didn't the bloke literally just hit someone in the face moments before it happened? The umpires do their job properly and the situation never occurs. I guess that all depends on whether you subscribe to a deterministic philosphy haha

I don't know all the ins and outs of Gresham leaving, but Gresham would be worth a lot more to us as a small forward than Butler.
At 700k for 3 years. Went at 65% efficiency tonight with 6 turnovers. Sure he's better than butler but in the big picture not really

I don't really care for the Crows at all, but I'd be filthy as hell at the umpiring in the last 2 minutes of that game tonight. I can't stand bloody umpires who are too scared to blow their whistle depending on either the end of the ground it's at or the time left on the clock. Non calls are just as damaging as the wrong calls.

I don't know all the ins and outs of Gresham leaving, but Gresham would be worth a lot more to us as a small forward than Butler.
Whilst I'm certainly not Butler's biggest fan this year, he's probably on a third of what Gresh was asking for. Add in Collard and a consider the smart salary cap management and I don't miss the selfish prick one bit.

Discussion 2024 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back