Discussion 2024 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Watch our forwards live and see how often that action happens in a game.

And if any of them accidentally get someone in the nose and draw blood they’ll probably get rubbed out.

Just for ref, it was a this season instance where if the action is deemed a strike, then the player will have an intentional grading on a fend or push action.

A swipe/swat is a fend action and Heeney was adjudged to have struck the face, so by that letter MC was correct in the intentional grading initially per that ruling, as of this season. If it was body, if it didn't draw blood, if a great many things didn't happen, there'd have been insufficient force to have made a grading, as the intent wasn't in the actual action that took place, that's where the disconnect is that people are having a hard time understanding is.

Heeney indeed, is a fair player, did a thing that many do, he did not intend to strike, just as in reality no player intends to infringe (except guys like Baz previously with right hooks or Ali Lynch with the random haymakers types) it's largely just poor timing, poor placement, freak instances of how people are moving in seconds. Things out of peoples control really since you're not arresting momentum in 1 second, you are mitigating as much as possible and the action of you bracing is natural on impending impact. The AFL simply sees such actions an intend bump for example just as they see a random arm thrown as a strike.

But per the letter of law that the AFL created for this season: Heeney struck intentionally, as it was graded a reportable offence of a strike.

The Swans simply needed to do better in noting how atrocious that book and that addition is, how vague, how nonsense, deep dive the nuance to state that yes, Heeney is a good bloke, he immediately went to check, immediately went to apologise, there was obviously no malice and thus no intention to strike yet the grading is intentional. It's an obvious disconnect devoid of common sense on the actual action that took place.

Yet they didn't, they just rehashed failed arguments instead in appeal.

They pulled a Rush and got the hand of god to get slapped.

This is actually an interesting discussion: should any action that results in blood being drawn on a player's face/head result in an automatic 1 game suspension minimum?

This is actually an interesting discussion: should any action that results in blood being drawn on a player's face/head result in an automatic 1 game suspension minimum?

Don’t think it’s quite that simple, but if you choose an act where you can’t control the consequences (like swinging blindly behind you) and that causes an injury to the head, then you get suspended.

If you swing a roundhouse at an opponent's head , and he ducks and it doesn't connect, you don't have anything to answer for, despite the intention to knock his block off.
Intention doesn't seem to be a big part of it.

I feel like that would be a suspendable (is there such a word) offence.

With the new rules as they are written Heeney cops a week. Ridiculous in my opinion.

What would David Mackay get today for nearly decapitating Hunter Clark in 2021? Still nothing to see here?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And if any of them accidentally get someone in the nose and draw blood they’ll probably get rubbed out.

To me the most head contact i see is defenders who "oh dear i was trying to punch the ball and hit him in the temple ".
To me that's worse than a blood nose ( unless the nose is actually broken ). Some of them are pretty high impact, and a large number of smaller impacts can still cause long term brain effects.

But it doesn't come with a big red light drawing attention.

I just went to Footscray for the first time ever and I can see why their supporters are so ****ing disgusting, what a smelly ****ing shit hole

Context is important, so you'll need to geolocate for smell centric;

1. How close to horseshit central aka flemington?
  2. How was the maribyrnong, was it yarra like?
  3. Central, middle, west, as no one goes west willingly, that leads to bleak Sunshine.
So was the smell literal horseshit, the tears of the unwashed or were you stuck in the middle?

To me the most head contact i see is defenders who "oh dear i was trying to punch the ball and hit him in the temple ".
To me that's worse than a blood nose ( unless the nose is actually broken ). Some of them are pretty high impact, and a large number of smaller impacts can still cause long term brain effects.

But it doesn't come with a big red light drawing attention.

Yeah only some of us highlighted it with the whole "potential" clause this season and the fact that last I checked the ear is attached to the head and a spoil is a thrown strike so "potential" is David Hookes.

But the AFL know best apparently...

Steven Baker got done for attempting to strike.

Nope, he stopped and propped.
Opponent went down like a sack of spuds.

Hang on, that was another one, Steven Baker got done for just about everything.

Ben Long got weeks for “potential to do harm.”
Dumbest decision ever, and there’ve been a few.

I just found some old archive footage of our lawyer trying to get him off.

0741279e3f29800025696c5ec8a6876dfa56ff74

With the new rules as they are written Heeney cops a week. Ridiculous in my opinion.

What would David Mackay get today for nearly decapitating Hunter Clark in 2021? Still nothing to see here?
It's probably due to injuries like Hunter Clark's jaw smashing that the automatic "intentional" rule was introduced.

It's probably due to injuries like Hunter Clark's jaw smashing that the automatic "intentional" rule was introduced.

It was the Danger one where he also ran 40m to, well if he didn't smack his own head, straight shoulder to face Jake Kelly from the Crows back in '21 to cop 3 since he kind of KO'd him in the process.

Then Paddy would come out after a downgrade attempt failed all "man I felt like I was on trial for murder" and "after the game I felt like there was nothing in it at all".

MRP doesn't change rules because of anything we do, but when poster boy shits himself, the cavalry is there to play clean up.

Discussion 2024 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back