Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Stengle every right to walk if they offer him under market value when theyre throwing around big cash for Bailey Smith.

To me, makes total sense from Baz point of view. Geelong's midfield veterans are all falling off a cliff, with little real like-for-like quality to replace them. Baz could easily see a spot directly in the center for the next 10 years.

For Hawks, that spot is not as easy to see, and if I were in his shoes - could easily think that he could slip into another pure outside role, instead of a more inside role, which is apparently what he wants. I think he would add quality and knock someone out of our midfield mix - but it definitely feels more competitive.

Just depends whether he wants the clear job security or is confident to back himself in to win the position.

As in the recent Hawks podcast between Gunners and Breust - Gunston was worried in the year leading up to his trade to us, as he saw Breust get dropped from a stacked forward line. So he questioned how he could fit in. But backed himself in to be good enough aaaaand the rest is history.

Perhaps Baz will do the same - although our mid is not as stacked as our old forward line was ala Buddy, Roughie, Cyril...GODS WE WERE STRONG THEN!
And why were we strong. It was substantial depth.

Defender Depth Chart
Back to goal Defenders
Sam Frost
James Blanck
Ethan Phillips
Centre Half Back Defenders
Jack Scrimshaw
Sam Frost
James Sicily
Josh Weddle
Jai Serong
Will McCabe
Third Defenders
James Sicily
Jack Scrimshaw
Josh Weddle
Jai Serong
Denver Grainger Barras
Will McCabe

People are saying in here we get Battle, Weddle goes into the midfield!!
So we all know there is a realisation he is a Centre Half Back/Third Defender at best!! So instead of paying 800k for a third defender why don't we play Jai Serong who does exactly what Battle does at the Saints for half the money 🤷‍♂️

It's good to be in the running for some of the top names on the market again.

Battle would fit our system perfectly. He would seamlessly slip into the Weddle, Scrimshaw, Sicily role, also he can play forward as well so allows flexibility if needed. How we shuffle the deck cards isn't that important. Does battle improve the best 22. Yes, than great 👍.

Smith will cost a 1st round pick so missing him will suck because he brings what we need to add to our midfield unit but we will still have the pick and 4 months for other potential targets either trade or draft. What I'm trying to say for us landing Smith is a nice get but not end of the world if we don't.

1st round pick, Battle + whoever else would be a good offseason if we retain everyone we want to as well.

Defender Depth Chart
Back to goal Defenders
Sam Frost
James Blanck
Ethan Phillips
Jack Scrimshaw
Sam Frost
James Sicily
Josh Weddle
Jai Serong
Will McCabe
Third Defenders
James Sicily
Jack Scrimshaw
Josh Weddle
Jai Serong
Denver Grainger Barras
Will McCabe

So we all know there is a realisation he is a Centre Half Back/Third Defender at best!! So instead of paying 800k for a third defender why don't we play Jai Serong who does exactly what Battle does at the Saints for half the money 🤷‍♂️
Because he clearly isn't anywhere near as good as Battle at this stage and every chance he never will be

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Defender Depth Chart
Back to goal Defenders
Sam Frost
James Blanck
Ethan Phillips
Jack Scrimshaw
Sam Frost
James Sicily
Josh Weddle
Jai Serong
Will McCabe
Third Defenders
James Sicily
Jack Scrimshaw
Josh Weddle
Jai Serong
Denver Grainger Barras
Will McCabe

Because Serong isnt that good.

If we only got Battle then I'd still feel like we won. I'd choose Stengle over Perryman or Smith too. Midfield isnt a problem.

That said, our midfield seems to solely depend on Day which feels like we do need more depth. Does the depth come from a guy who has just missed a year of football?
I'd take Smith over Stengle, dynamic line breaking mids are close to the most valuable players in the modern game. The fact he can play wing or half forward as well adds to how valuable he is. We need to keep loading the midfield up with guys who have a second position.

Stengle would make us better and be a luxury, Smith adds something that our list doesn't at all have.

Stengle every right to walk if they offer him under market value when theyre throwing around big cash for Bailey Smith.

Can't see him going anywhere.
I'd be betting purely just negotiation tactics from his manager.

Because he clearly isn't anywhere near as good as Battle at this stage and every chance he never will be

Because Serong does it nowhere near as well as Battle.

Because Serong isnt that good.
How can you say he will never be good as Battle??
He is 21 years old
5 years younger and has shown he is capable at playing at this level, he just hasn't had the opportunity??
So you want to give Battle an opportunity but not Serong, makes no sense 🤦‍♂️
We need a last line defender(frost getting old/Blanck knee injury) and not a third defender especially at 800k!!

We don’t need Stengle as we have the Wiz, Moore and Ginni for the next decade
I see Moore as a goal kicking mid playing higher up. Not averse to Stengle though just very quietly I like the apprenticeship that Josh Bennetts has been doing at Box Hill and feel at some point he will be a star

We don’t need Stengle as we have the Wiz, Moore and Ginni for the next decade

Although Stengle, Wiz, Ginnivan and Moore would make the best small forward combo in the league by some margin. And all four could spend time pushing up the ground.

There is no way teams could contain them all.

Geelong won't let him leave, this is all posturing anyway.

He is 21 years old
5 years younger and has shown he is capable at playing at this level, he just hasn't had the opportunity??
We need a last line defender(frost getting old/Blanck knee injury) and not a third defender especially at 800k!!
Yes, I’d rather a 25yr old with really good exposed form over a 21yr old that’s not shown a great deal.

He is 21 years old
Battle is more than just a third defender. Also watching Serong at both levels he hasn’t shown you can bank on him holding down that spot in the future.

We have young unproven talent on every line, should we just not recruit anyone?

The odds of Serong reaching the level Battle is currently at is slim, I am not gambling on that happening.

Can't see him going anywhere.
I'd be betting purely just negotiation tactics from his manager.

9 out of 10 this is the case. Bored media combined with player managers wanting to maximise contracts makes for a LOT of silly stories.

Anyone celebrating before the ink is drying really doesnt pay attention.

We are 4 months away from knowing what is actually happening.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back