Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I really like him but over Daicos, Sheezel, Gulden?

Think he still has a long way to go before he is reaching these heights (not saying he can't reach them).
I think it’s his play style, height and athleticism that has me. Just looks so good when he has the ball. It’s just my opinion but I just think he would round out our midfield beautifully.

Definitely not as consistent as those you have mentioned and doesn’t get the ball as much. I think he has the potential to be the best player in the comp. Again, just my opinion.

Smith choosing Geelong over us hurts from a pride point of view.

He is a mad Hawks fan that was wanting to join last season, and he has good mates at the club (how many times have we heard this over the last several years). Plus we've seen our side take a significant step forward in our development this season too. He's in the perfect age bracket and is a high profile player.

Now Geelong have turned his head. Can they just **** off and be irrelevant please?

If they only have to give up their first for him, which will be a pick in the teens, then it's a bargain. Hopefully the Doggies play hardball and squeeze out two firsts for him.

He is a mad Hawks fan that was wanting to join last season, and he has good mates at the club (how many times have we heard this over the last several years). Plus we've seen our side take a significant step forward in our development this season too. He's in the perfect age bracket and is a high profile player.

Now Geelong have turned his head. Can they just **** off and be irrelevant please?

If they only have to give up their first for him, which will be a pick in the teens, then it's a bargain. Hopefully the Doggies play hardball and squeeze out two firsts for him.
He wanted to join last year. That I know.

Re B Smith, I don't think being a Hawk as a kid will play any part in his decision-making and nor should it.

The sporting world is littered with examples of players/coaches playing/coaching for arch-rivals of teams they supported as kids.

Chris Scott was a Hawthorn supporter as a kid. His twin Brad even played for us before moving to Brisbane.

Croc and Wiz were Pies supporters as kids but that will only provide them extra motivation to beat Collingwood today.

Perhaps the best examples are in (Association) football:
1) Kenny Dalglish was a Rangers and Manchester United fan as a kid but went on to become a legend at arch-rivals of both his boyhood clubs - Celtic and Liverpool.
2) Matt Busby played for both Liverpool and Manchester City before becoming a coaching legend at Manchester United.

Go Hawks! I can't see us getting beaten if we're switched on from the opening bounce today.

Re B Smith, I don't think being a Hawk as a kid will play any part in his decision-making and nor should it.
Of course it does. It did for Scrimshaw and Ginnivan. It's just not the be all and end all.

I think the interest from Hawks has cooled tbh. Or at the least, the $$ on offer has not gone the way he hoped.

We were desperate for him before this season but he's not the sort of player for Hawthorn to prioritise trading out two picks and big $$ for any more. Worpel has gone past him IMO and the form of Nash and the obvious class of Mackenzie has shown that our midfield stocks are pretty solid. Whereas with Dear still being a fawn and Lewis out again, they may have prioritised that area of the ground for picks and $$ as the year has gone on

If the hawks were willing to do whatever to takes to get him, they would. Im just not sure they are. Shame though.

I think the interest from Hawks has cooled tbh. Or at the least, the $$ on offer has not gone the way he hoped.

We were desperate for him before this season but he's not the sort of player for Hawthorn to prioritise trading out two picks and big $$ for any more. Worpel has gone past him IMO and the form of Nash and the obvious class of Mackenzie has shown that our midfield stocks are pretty solid. Whereas with Dear still being a fawn and Lewis out again, they may have prioritised that area of the ground for picks and $$ as the year has gone on

If the hawks were willing to do whatever to takes to get him, they would. Im just not sure they are. Shame though.

I'm not sure whether our interest has cooled or not. I don't think it has, but either way it doesn't really matter.

Yeah there's a real fine line with any potential trade for him from our point of view, for the reasons you've highlighted. I wouldn't want to trade two firsts or even a first and a second, which is surely what the Doggies would want.

Even if I see Chris Scott giving Bailey smith a bubble bath on the front cover of the age the night before the trade period I will still think his coming to us. We know not to spend our chocolates early this time so just quietly waiting now.

Just think his the right player for the culture we are building

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been told already that if he does choose Geelong they will be coughing up. Their first round pick won’t cut it nor should it

Should we have a go at Bailey Humphrey’s his not going to get a spot in the GC midfield.

Could he do what Flanders did once he moved into midfield.
Would love to target Humphries. GC imploding again once again and we are cashed up - bring him home. Would happily give up this years first pick for him

It’s not over yet, but in any case, it should blow this idea that plenty of supporters have each year that when a player wants to come to us, we should wait til next season when they are a free agent, cheaper, works better for us etc. Things change so rapidly in football, a bird in hand is worth two in the bush, etc…

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back