Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Stephen Wells has told people that Smith is coming to Geelong and the club has assured Smith and his management that they will get a trade done. Unless Smith and his manager are playing games - which players and managers do pretty commonly - we should be looking elsewhere

Should we have a go at Bailey Humphrey’s his not going to get a spot in the GC midfield.

Could he do what Flanders did once he moved into midfield.

Would love to target Humphries. GC imploding again once again and we are cashed up - bring him home. Would happily give up this years first pick for him

Severe FIGJAM issues.

Won't do the extra hard yards to get fit enough for midfield minutes.

This from the same source that tipped me off about Chol coming and why.

We should be after Mac Andrew. He is gettable.

Even if we don’t scrape into finals, we’ll be broadway next year. On the up, very watchable and ginni/wiz etc made for friday nights.

i can’t wait for a few friday nights at the G
The AFL will be pencilling the 2025 draw as we speak and the Hawks should feature heavily in the prime time games. TV doesn’t care about footy, it wants entertainment and the current day Hawks deliver that in spades - well, front-end loaders. 133 points on a wet day which the advertisers love, lots of ad breaks. Throw in the rascal pack and their celebrations and the complete absence of dour and you have footy to keep the TV neutrals awake and Menulogging Maccas.

Clarko is a legend but once Bland become his starting word in Wordle, the Channel 7 execs said “no soup for you”.

I think we will end up up with battle, perryman and surprise player.

Smith 99% gone to cats, something really shocking would have to happen to not end up in geelong
Sorry mate my info is the complete opposite to what you're saying.
Smith 99% to the Hawks. That's come from immediate family by the way.
I might be wrong but that would also make the immediate contact wrong as well. Just saying

Stephen Wells has told people that Smith is coming to Geelong and the club has assured Smith and his management that they will get a trade done. Unless Smith and his manager are playing games - which players and managers do pretty commonly - we should be looking elsewhere
I suspect he is Geelong bound but just can’t imagine Stephen Wells telling people that. Would be sloppy from one of the best operators in the game.

I think we are being very simplistic about bringing established players in as FA. Whilst they clearly add to squad strength, depth and injury cover - it's not just a case of adding their value to our 22. Someone has to drop out, tactical shuffling of positions and value will also drop out of the 22.

I don't see Battle as a FB at all - so Frost/Blanck will continue to fill that role. If Battle takes either Scrimshaw or Sicily's spot in the tall defenders roster (2024 Frost, Scrimshaw, Sicily); then who drops out of defense? I can't see Sicily playing mid or forward permanently, so he's moving into a 4th defender/rebounding option.

Battle vs Sicily in the air defensively? I'd still favour Sicily just. Disposal by foot? Sicily. Rebound running? Also Sicily. So Battle coming in isn't actually improving our 3rd tall role. Is he taking Scrimshaw's role as the 2nd tall? Hardwick is still needed to take the best small, so it's pushing out one of Impey, Amon, and Weddle. None are a match defensively.

Sicily vs Amon by foot? Amon more consistent, Sicily the more spectacular. Running? Amon. Probably equal but Amon is mostly there for his kicking.
Sicily vs Impey by foot? Sicily. Running? Impey. Would be a change in our style.
Sicily vs Weddle by Foot? Sicily. Running? Weddle. Would be a change in our style.

Amon seems the most likely to go back to the wing, maybe Weddle to utilise his endurance more. Regardless,if one of those three push up to the wing, who are they pushing out - M'DA or CJ?

Amon vs M'DA; Weddle vs CJ - this maintains our current structure - otherwise we are talking more tactical changes. I doubt any of them could play as our 4th/5th inside mid. I do see potential in our HFF (Moore, MacDonald, even Ginnivan and Watson) to take inside mid time.

So adding Battle to CHB/3rd Tall, releases Sicily into HBF rebound role, releases Amon/Weddle up to the wing sharing with M'DA/CJ and pushes them to the bench. Our forwardline is over-flowing for smalls, so it's likely it will be the young mids (Ward, Mackenzie) and small forwards (MacDonald, Watson) that will feel the pinch (having already replaced Gunston/Breust/Wingard this year).

I suspect he is Geelong bound but just can’t imagine Stephen Wells telling people that. Would be sloppy from one of the best operators in the game.
It’s a football player, not a matter of national security. He absolutely said that to someone he’s known for decades.

As I’ve always said on player movement, what clubs hear and believe is only ever what the players and managers want them to hear and believe, and it’s often not the truth, because that’s how you keep multiple options open. Player managers are like real estate agents. Their job is to get the best deal. We have been on the receiving end of that many times.

But that’s what Geelong believes is happening.

Only Smith, his management and those close to him will really know if it’s what he’s going to do.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry mate my info is the complete opposite to what you're saying.
Smith 99% to the Hawks. That's come from immediate family by the way.
I might be wrong but that would also make the immediate contact wrong as well. Just saying
Will see what happens, want him at the hawks but my info is all but done to cats

Our first and F1 for Humphrey and Andrew

Why are we using first round draft picks for a tall floating marking backman when we can buy one for cash (Battle) and have a super exciting talent in McCabe just waiting for his chance?

Excited Freak Out GIF

Defence should be top priority. Battle as free agent and if we could trade for another tall. We missed on McKay and made a Hail Mary offer to Taylor so it’s clearly a focus, as it should be.

Defence should be top priority. Battle as free agent and if we could trade for another tall. We missed on McKay and made a Hail Mary offer to Taylor so it’s clearly a focus, as it should be.
We don’t need any more intercept defenders. We need a 200cm lock down defender. Draft one now and Frost can hold it down as they develop.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back