Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Blues also coming hard for CP

Wouldn’t that mean some offloading also? I know Carlton and salary caps are an amusing pairing - but not even they could fit Petracca in without some cuts elsewhere you’d think.

I wonder if Geelong would make a play for him. They’d likely have to abandon Bailey Smith to do it - but given where the Cats are at presently I think they’d get more mileage out of Petracca than they would Smith, at least in the near term.

Was on Footy Classified as top 5 for losing 1-on-1 contests this year

I personally hate champion data stuff and reckon you can build some sort of case for every player in the league to find a weakness. Anyone that has watched West Coasts midfield let teams stroll through and bomb it forward time and time again would understand why Tom Barrass numbers would be inflated in 1-1 contests.

Like any player traded in they are not the answer to the holy grail. (Ben Mckay is the perfect example for this) If however the system is right around that player you are trading in, then he becomes a huge asset.

Perhaps Mitch and co have looked at Barrass and said with Frosty and Scrimmers etc around him, we think he is the perfect fit for what we need right now so let’s back them in.

Some idiot club(s) will be desperate & will need 1st Rounders to pay for him.

There may be value in facilitating that trade as a 3rd party.
Saints. They forked out $900 k for Hilly. What would they pay for CP? They need better mids than the bog average ones that they have now.

Wouldn’t that mean some offloading also? I know Carlton and salary caps are an amusing pairing - but not even they could fit Petracca in without some cuts elsewhere you’d think.

I wonder if Geelong would make a play for him. They’d likely have to abandon Bailey Smith to do it - but given where the Cats are at presently I think they’d get more mileage out of Petracca than they would Smith, at least in the near term.
I could just imagine Geelong trying to ‘entice’ Melbourne by offering pick 18, the corpse of Rhys Stanley and a couple of old buttons. They have nothing to offer- and are notoriously stingy. Melbourne (I’d hope) would hang up on them mid chat

Saints. They forked out $900 k for Hilly. What would they pay for CP? They need better mids than the bog average ones that they have now.

They could try but Petracca would be looking for culture and success not a pay packet. Can't see him heading to St Kilda s he would strike out on both those things.

I could just imagine Geelong trying to ‘entice’ Melbourne by offering pick 18, the corpse of Rhys Stanley and a couple of old buttons. They have nothing to offer- and are notoriously stingy. Melbourne (I’d hope) would hang up on them mid chat
Nor do Collingwood, at least nothing they would trade. This is their team from last week:

1724029297722.png

Moore and the Daicos brothers would be all that Melbourne would be interested in, wouldn't they?

From their injury list only De Goey at a stretch. Can't see how they get a trade done if Petracca was interested.

Knowing Geelong, Melbourne would say "We don't want pick 18, we want your third rounder instead" and sign the deal

Nor do Collingwood, at least nothing they would trade. This is their team from last week:

View attachment 2084397

Moore and the Daicos brothers would be all that Melbourne would be interested in, wouldn't they?

From their injury list only De Goey at a stretch. Can't see how they get a trade done if Petracca was interested.
I agree, and personally I think he’s the wrong age demographic for the Pies. With whatever they’d have to move for him they would be cutting off their nose to spite their face, and what they really need is youth for another potential push in 3-5 years time.

Anyone heard anything about HH? I know he's more of an inside type but morrison, cj, ward, mckenzie, finn all getting games before him should be frustrating.
Question is who comes in for Day and Scrimshaw this week?

CJ and Ward seem the obvious inclusions, but just maybe HH gets a look in. Mitchell, Maginess & Serong will also be options worth considering.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 2084397

McCreey has some value, but not sure how much exactly.

i’d rather our first pick on lukosius and back Blanck/Serong
I was thinking about this last night, but from a drafting POV. ie drafting a key forward, but I'm not sure we have a huge need for key forwards. Next year we will have available - Lewis, Chol, Gunston & the emerging Dear and Scaife, not to mention that McCabe is going to need an opportunity either forward or back next year.

All this probably just means we are done drafting in the 1st round for a while.

Not when it comes to genuine superstars. They gave up 3 first rounders for Cameron. Petracca (if he leaves) would be the biggest name to move since then. Genuine top 10 players in the comp rarely move. The price would be similar to that Geelong had to pay for Cameron. Any club that has a crack will need to be capable of meeting that price. I don't think Geelong could, especially as they see intent on Smith. It's why I see Carlton as an interesting option as involving McKay would be a proper conversation starter where both clubs could benefit. Carlton would need to put more in obviously but Melbourne I expect would be more interested in players than just picks.

Never discount the Swans either.

Not when it comes to genuine superstars. They gave up 3 first rounders for Cameron. Petracca (if he leaves) would be the biggest name to move since then. Genuine top 10 players in the comp rarely move. The price would be similar to that Geelong had to pay for Cameron. Any club that has a crack will need to be capable of meeting that price. I don't think Geelong could, especially as they see intent on Smith. It's why I see Carlton as an interesting option as involving McKay would be a proper conversation starter where both clubs could benefit. Carlton would need to put more in obviously but Melbourne I expect would be more interested in players than just picks.

Never discount the Swans either.
Yeah the Cats do seem to find a way- it’s partly why I detest them so much. The last two generational stars to be traded in both went to them- and also they never. Get. Injured (seriously or at the pointy end anyways). Last ACL to a best 22 player? Menzel 10+ years ago maybe? Perhaps Cockatoo? He was fridge anyway. In comparison we’ve lost both bookends just this season to ACLs alone. The footy gods are Cats fans.

Cameron was traded for pick 13, 15 and 20, they effectively turned Tim Kelly into Jeremy Cameron. They haven’t got that currency currently, and won’t be interested in trading out quality either.

So Collingwood have no first round pick this year, and won’t they need to keep their first next year for their father/son pick, since the rules are changing and you can’t just accumulate points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back