Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Has anyone in the media set the price for Smith like they have for Barrass?
"Geelong will have a pretty late first-round pick, which is less than Smith would have fetched in 2021 after a pair of superb finals performances (v the Brisbane Lions and Port Adelaide), but should be the basis for a trade, bearing in mind that he is out of contract and is recovering from an ACL. In this particular draft, recruiters say it will be possible to land as good a player at pick 18 as pick eight."

Wow, saying that a very late first is fine. Can't imagine they'd be saying that if it was us. I haven't heard many mention Barrass' back issues or his age when saying our first isn't enough.

Have heard a lot of things about us and Smith over the course of this year.
  • He was ours from last years trade period.
  • It’s 50/50 between us and Cats.
  • Hawks have cooled on him.
  • Cats think they have him.
  • Cats think he is still leaning to hawks.
  • Connor’s leaked the Cats have him stories to redirect media.
Based on Niall’s article and some other tidbits regarding how Smith is going off-field that I’ve been told, as well as a few connected posters saying he’s not for us, I’m willing to call that he’s not going to be a Hawk.

Have heard a lot of things about us and Smith over the course of this year.
  • He was ours from last years trade period.
  • It’s 50/50 between us and Cats.
  • Hawks have cooled on him.
  • Cats think they have him.
  • Cats think he is still leaning to hawks.
  • Connor’s leaked the Cats have him stories to redirect media.
Based on Niall’s article and some other tidbits regarding how Smith is going off-field that I’ve been told, as well as a few connected posters saying he’s not for us, I’m willing to call that he’s not going to be a Hawk.
Still think he would compliment our midfield beautifully, but understand our priorities have shifted.

So at some point we cooled on Smith and pivoted to other priorities?

Hope this signals our trade approach going forward - engage in good faith but move on when other parties piss fart around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would providing evidence for Geelong being the best fit be for anyone but for Bailey to read

Love your work, but this is just silly. Do you really think Baz is still sitting around wondering where to sign and his Sunday Age gets delivered and he reads this article and gets tipped over the edge.

Also Jake Niall is a Collingwood supporter so he’s hardly going to be encouraging players to sign at Geelong.

I would. Has talent and skills. Strikes me as similar to Ginni in that his ego would be really pricked and if he moved he would work very hard to prove the knockers wrong.

Other clubs have greater need for his type though so I doubt it would be hawks but I can see him being a very good pick up for another club if he now wanted out

Terrible, outdated management by Nicks and Adelaide this week. Whatever they wanted to do behind closed doors this was a week to publicly wrap arms around him and support him
I reckon our boys would pull him into line as well. The media all talk about the celebrations and being yourself but they miss the accountability the group has with themselves.

Doubt it. Bulldogs play hardball. They got a very good deal out of the Lions for Dunkley.

He's not a free agent is he? Dogs have so much talent they should genuinely use the threat of PSD to send him to Tigers or, worse, North.

Geelong, or us, will need to give their 2x first rounders given his Age and proven talent. Anything less and that's a bit of a steal.

Love your work, but this is just silly. Do you really think Baz is still sitting around wondering where to sign and his Sunday Age gets delivered and he reads this article and gets tipped over the edge.

Also Jake Niall is a Collingwood supporter so he’s hardly going to be encouraging players to sign at Geelong.
More from a media pressure standpoint

Silly to think public conjecture doesn’t affect players decisions

But I understand your point

He's not a free agent is he? Dogs have so much talent they should genuinely use the threat of PSD to send him to Tigers or, worse, North.

Geelong, or us, will need to give their 2x first rounders given his Age and proven talent. Anything less and that's a bit of a steal.

Yup just out of contract so Bulldogs won’t care that he’s coming off an ACL. They should absolutely use the PSD threat on Geelong - make them pay up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back