Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't worry about Battle guys...he's friends with Brad Hill who is friends with James Sicily...according to Sic

Was an odd way to speak about it today...this is in the Herald Sun:

The Hawks skipper was cryptic when asked about St Kilda free agent Josh Battle, who appears set to depart and could also beef up the Hawks’ key defensive stocks.

“I have quite a few mutual friends with Josh Battle, I’m good friends with Bradley Hill and so is he, so we see a fair bit of each other,” he said.

Few ways that can be read, but the way I did was he knows he's coming and that was his way of getting around the question without answering

Anyone remember the Mckay fiasco last year.

3 clubs (swans hawks Bombers) posturing for months and thinking they had him all driving his “media value” up.

As the season comes to an end one of those teams pulls out of the race- Sydney.

Media frenzy for weeks…… Bombers or Hawks, back and forth who was leading the race blah blah blah.

Kangas pretending to be upset they are losing a “key defender” boo hoo knowing all the time they are getting pick 3 in the draft for him leaving and laughing all the way to the bank.

Plenty more posturing to play out here ladies and gents with old mate Josh Battle.

If the Hawks are being played here again, I hope we pull the pin and walk away as he is not even worth 850k a year we are offering.

Anyone remember the Mckay fiasco last year.

3 clubs (swans hawks Bombers) posturing for months and thinking they had him all driving his “media value” up.

As the season comes to an end one of those teams pulls out of the race- Sydney.

Media frenzy for weeks…… Bombers or Hawks, back and forth who was leading the race blah blah blah.

Kangas pretending to be upset they are losing a “key defender” boo hoo knowing all the time they are getting pick 3 in the draft for him leaving and laughing all the way to the bank.

Plenty more posturing to play out here ladies and gents with old mate Josh Battle.

If the Hawks are being played here again, I hope we pull the pin and walk away as he is not even worth 850k a year we are offering.
good times

Could they AFL be using their PR War Machine to try apply some pressure to Christian so he doesnt leave?

Few in the media seem to Naively placing blame on Christian to hang around a bunch of degenerates that almost killed him, ontop of a rotten culture and coach. Think a fair few don't want this to play out the way it will because then it will show just how many issues their are at the demons and we know how the AFL prefers to manage news.

It's a firesale and we might be the only club that can foot the bill.

Could they AFL be using their PR War Machine to try apply some pressure to Christian so he doesnt leave?

Few in the media seem to Naively placing blame on Christian to hang around a bunch of degenerates that almost killed him, ontop of a rotten culture and coach. Think a fair few don't want this to play out the way it will because then it will show just how many issues their are at the demons and we know how the AFL prefers to manage news.

I dont think we can, they will want two firsts plus and one of ours is heading to West Coast

I don't think so, they are just naive. Or if I put my tinfoil hat on for a moment - they may be fearful that this situation could blow the lid off a larger issue, which would be a terrible look for the AFL.

Wouldn't worry about Battle situation. Saints offering an extra $50k or an extra year on an already lengthy deal isn't likely to move the needle if he's already made up his mind. And based on the available evidence he's decided to leave.

He's playing someone: us or Saints, to drive up the price from the club he wants to play for.
If I had to guess it's the Saints trying to scare us into Band 1 compo. If Battle + his manager were to shaft us only to stay there to get more $$$ then IMO we dodge a bullet. We need full buy from anyone at the HFC or others wanting to join us so and from all reports if he was to join us then he'll be one of our top money earners so we'll see if that's good enough for him.

Barrass and Battle: I’ve harboured this feeling all along that we’d either get neither or just one. Got shouted and laughed down on here about it, but it seems that’s the way it’s headed.

Still, one out of two ain’t bad….

The Barrass deal will get done early and respectfully because we’ve built a good relationship with WC and there’s goodwill.

Take note all the posters who last year bemoaned that we should be holding Brockman to high ransom and walking him to the PSD out of principle if we didn’t get a high draft pick.

Had we carried on like porkchops to “win trade week” and “get respect” like so many wanted, then there’s a chance WC don’t even want to deal with us.

What do you consider “respectfully”? More than a first rounder is not respectful to me. Brockman who is 8yrs younger than Barrass and very much on the rise was picks 44 and 63.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From his family… I was told that he genuinely feels bad about leaving the saints and it’s been a very difficult decision, he has a lot of strong relationships at the club. However, I’ve been told that he’s almost certainly coming to Hawthorn.

He has to have his exit interview before anything will be announced.
Can confirm St. Kilda have scheduled his exit interview for August 2029

Think About It GIF by Identity

Our board has a habit of shitting on anyone and everyone (included our ITK's with great track records), share what you can if you feel like it- a lot of us will appreciate it!
Yeah, we're really good at making people not share information :(

St Kilda can't discuss the Battle situation with us directly without it being dodgy so they're doing what they can to get level 1 compo. Battle's management doing their best to maximise this contract. That's two groups that would benefit from feeding "major updates" like this to the media.

Hawks tend to walk away when the bidding gets too frantic, which we did with Mackay, Shiel, basically anyone Essendon has been into.

We've got Barass lined up which means Battle is les of a necessity. We absolutely want him for sure- but we're not over a barrel to just keep increasing the offer.

We've got Barass lined up which means Battle is les of a necessity. We absolutely want him for sure- but we're not over a barrel to just keep increasing the offer.

This was my thought also. Barass coming out and nominating us basically straight away seems to be something we were likely very supportive of (despite our season still being alive) as it takes some of the pressure off on the Battle deal.

Saints can come out and say 'we have upped our offer' and we can say 'well, our current offer stands and we already have Barass coming in so we aren't as desperate for Battle.

Reminds me a lot of the Amon FA a couple of years back where Port supporters were 100% sure they were getting band 1 for him and only ended up getting band 3.

We should really make an exclusive thread for the people that don’t shit on our ITK’s.
Absolutely need something like this, ITK given access to post anonymously without tossers ruining for the poor plebs that enjoy hearing what going on inside the club.

St Kilda can't discuss the Battle situation with us directly without it being dodgy so they're doing what they can to get level 1 compo. Battle's management doing their best to maximise this contract. That's two groups that would benefit from feeding "major updates" like this to the media.

Hawks tend to walk away when the bidding gets too frantic, which we did with Mackay, Shiel, basically anyone Essendon has been into.

Totally agree with your last paragraph. If Battle scenario is becoming tedious for HFC in a sense of bidding. Just walk away. We got our bloke from the west which IS really what we needed. We should focus our attention on bolstering the midfield in the offseason ala..Smith…and wouldn’t be surprised if Hawks are feeling out Petracca IF he’s really available and not just a threat to MFC hierarchy to sort their crib out. Once in a lifetime opportunity though to get a player of his talent into your midfield. See how the rocks fall.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Totally agree with your last paragraph. If Battle scenario is becoming tedious for HFC in a sense of bidding. Just walk away. We got our bloke from the west which IS really what we needed. We should focus our attention on bolstering the midfield in the offseason ala..Smith…and wouldn’t be surprised if Hawks are feeling out Petracca IF he’s really available and not just a threat to MFC hierarchy to sort their crib out. Once in a lifetime opportunity though to get a player of his talent into your midfield. See how the rocks fall.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Agree. We can't blow up our cap coz one bloke wants to look after fn Ross.

I mean if we don't get Battle, all it does is open the door to any one of our other defensive stocks sitting in wait such as Serong, McCabe, DGB or Blanck

Yes, Battle is very experienced - and the replacements wouldn't beat that. But still, if we got Battle AND Barrass, I'd feel sad that we inevitably have to move on two of our younger defenders.

We'll be fine either way. Saints have more to lose in this game of chicken.

Just imagine if the AFL handed out compensation based on the exiting players last contract at the club?

Ie- Battle has been on 450k for the past 3 years and wants to leave and the AFL say here is your 3rd round pick Saints for the incompetent list management on your own behalf.

What do you consider “respectfully”? More than a first rounder is not respectful to me. Brockman who is 8yrs younger than Barrass and very much on the rise was picks 44 and 63.
Sure but you don't decide that, the club does. And from all reports, a deal has probably been made in principle which means that both sides are happy. Whether that's a first rounder plus a bit of change or not will, we'll have to wait.

Clearly both sides are not miles off it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back