Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Given all the crap coming out about that club, what player in their right mind would want to actually go there?
We certainly wouldn't want to throw any of our loyal servants under the bus by asking them to consider a move to the Demons.

Because of the above, the problem then for us (and most clubs) is nobody has the draft picks to make a trade happen except for 3 clubs: GC, Tigers and Freo.

We know Trac wants to stay in Melbourne, and whilst the Tigers could make something happen I can't see competitive Petracca wanting to go over there to play in a bottom 4 club for the rest of his career.
If Petracca comes out and says he wants to play for the Hawks, people around here will change there tune and start throwing all kinds off names out there to trade to the Demons!

Let’s wait and see, but he has a far superior strike rate than the supposed ‘ITKs’ in here…
Page after page of people saying don't be a dick to ITKs.....and then this......

I am not sure you are thinking this through or perhaps it is what you want us to do?

This is why you would be a crap List Manager.
Imaging approaching a player getting them to commit and nominate, then say. oops, our bad, forget it.
No one would trust the club again.

Clearly he was responding to the post he quoted.

I’ve got a question for people, if Petracca came out and said he wants to join the Hawks what would people be happy to give up to get him, remembering that out 1st this year will likely go for Barrass.
I can't think of a single trade that I'd be happy with that is also something Melbourne would go for.

The fact he's on well over a million a year for 5 more years, and we have no idea how well he'll return from one of the most traumatic injuries I've seen in modern football is enough for me to think he's not for us under the current circumstances.

I’ve got a question for people, if Petracca came out and said he wants to join the Hawks what would people be happy to give up to get him, remembering that out 1st this year will likely go for Barrass.
i'd give them Wingard but only very reluctantly. If they were playing hard ball i'd throw in a fourth round draft pick too

I realise that, but given Barrass has nominated us as the team he wants. Do you think that is actually possible.
are people actually asking if the Hawks are even 1% chance of pulling out of the Barrass trade if Battle nominates as well?

Have I missed something or is that the question?

If it is and you are legitimately asking, no they wont, the only reason teams ever pull out of potential moves is due to asking price by the current team. If West Coast were unreasonable then the team might say sorry but they will still do everything they possibly can to get it done. This has happened before, Bobby Hill tried to get to Essendon the year before going to Collingwood for example.

If Battle does come over then it is about pairing them. If anything, they might be able to say to Josh's agent no we wont be adding to our offer since we now have Barrass coming in rather than anything else.

Imagine having an agent advocating for his client, the contract offer being agreed to, the client asking for a trade to the team, that becoming public only for the team to then say sorry we got someone else so we are pulling out

would annoy the player, the agent and the oppo team.

If you are asking because you are hoping thats the case, see above answer

If you are asking as a joke...lol good one

I can't think of a single trade that I'd be happy with that is also something Melbourne would go for.

The fact he's on well over a million a year for 5 more years, and we have no idea how well he'll return from one of the most traumatic injuries I've seen in modern football is enough for me to think he's not for us under the current circumstances.
I can, we have a player who will return from injury in 2025 for Hawks. He is even 2 yrs younger than Trac & under contract for 2 more yrs.

Swap players and add F1. That is a fair trade and addresses need for both clubs and balances risks.

It is upto Demons to court Mitch Lewis for this if Trac nominates us. We can tell everyone is on market for right price if Demons can persuade them.

Our untradables will have a prohibitive 3+ first round pick price.

I read mustang reply to the below
Yep I get the strong feeling that we are aiming to land one of either Barrass or Battle here and not both after all.
As a rhetorical one to say we are NOT aiming to land just one

We will be fine if we land only one or none.

Last edited:
I realise that, but given Barrass has nominated us as the team he wants. Do you think that is actually possible.

There's no chance we would do that to Barrass. Tony's reply in particular insinuates that this is what Mustang thinks though, when it seems he was just responding to another post with a question.

Apparently saints in for thomlinson or however tou spell it from melb, sign that battle on the way out?
Jeez Tomlinson has been stealing a living for a number of years now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is an interesting question, the likely answer is that their asking price will be too much for us without the first going to WC.

Reality is if we are comfortable with it, they wont be

Would need a best 23 player, and not a fringe guy like Maginness, likely a starter level guy, probably younger

Mitchell isnt going to force a Ryan Burton level guy out the door.

If Pickett is trying to get to Port, Dees arent doing their jobs right if they arent trying to get into Butters ear

If the Eagles are going to try and screw us over Barrass then we are out of there quick smart. Even 1 first round pick for a 29 year old is a massive price to pay.

I really hope both clubs have already agreed to some sort of deal or this will become another drawn out shit fight.

Last edited:
This is why you would be a crap List Manager.
Imaging approaching a player getting them to commit and nominate, then say. oops, our bad, forget it.
No one would trust the club again.

I was a asking question to the post, it wasn't a statement maybe read what was posted not just quote what I posted.

I agree why would we do that it's dumb, it would destroy all the credibility we have in the industry, that why I asked it as they can't be serious.

Last edited:
Sam Edmund said on SEN that the expectation is that Battle is still coming to us and is likely just waiting for the exit interview to happen first.

Around 4:40

So he's a coin grabber? 🤪🤪

heck, I can't win either way in here.

I can only put down what I'm told. He wants the Saints looked after. Believe what you want.

It's gonna be a long 5 weeks...
If this starts getting messy, I trust Sam will walk away. No point risking compromising well-earned culture for someone who may not be as committed to the cause.

Of course, I could be jumping at shadows, in which case I apologise to Battle in partcular.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back