Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Josh Battle reminds me of that song by The Clash "Should i stay or should i go"

I will make it slightly easier for you Josh...

Club A - walk into the club Monday morning and look at a single Premiership Cup, won by a single point almost 6 decades ago.

or

Club B - walk into the club Monday morning and look at Thirteen Premiership Cups and space for more

Choose wisely...
Added a little more for further clarification....

If it comes down to 50k it is meaningless to us in the grand scheme of things.

If Battle comes and helps us win a flag next year that 50k is only 0.2% of the $17.76m salary cap next year.

So that 0.2% extra will not make or break our salary cap, but having Battle will be a much bigger swing then 0.2% of increasing our flag odds.

Surely you can't believe what you're typing?

"You need to give me more...for the Saints, you understand? Personally, I'm happy, but the Saints, you see..."
Mate the post you quoted are the types of bullshit posts that turn people against players.

I don’t for 1second believe that Battle wants his ex club to be looked after in the form of Band 1 compo

That's not a meaningless amount of money when most of your earning potential is condensed into a 10-15 year period.
I find it hard to reconcile a player leaving one club reluctantly to go to another amount solely because of such a small amount of money contextually (or vice versa).

Particularly when there are so many other opportunities to make that same amount back through sponsorship and profile. Just being a premiership player is reportedly worth a significant amount in terms of your profile, something he clearly has more of a chance doing with us.

I find it hard to reconcile a player leaving one club reluctantly to go to another amount solely because of such a small amount of money contextually (or vice versa).

Particularly when there are so many other opportunities to make that same amount back through sponsorship and profile. Just being a premiership player is reportedly worth a significant amount in terms of your profile, something he clearly has more of a chance doing with us.
You're treating them as either / or situations when they aren't. Player managers would be encouraging their clients to do everything possible to maximise theit return while playing, 5 - 6 year deal with an extra $50 a year adds up to over $100k take home at the end of the contract.

To be honest though, I don't believe the quibbling over money is even happening.

Josh Battle reminds me of that song by The Clash "Should i stay or should i go"

I will make it slightly easier for you Josh...

Club A - walk into the club Monday morning and look at a single Premiership Cup

or

Club B - walk into the club Monday morning and look at Thirteen Premiership Cups and space for more

Choose wisely...

Bad for us if he dislikes clutter and hoarding.

Agree but fully expect Melbourne to enforce the contract and refuse any trade attempts. They don’t have to do anything which leaves trac in a fairly powerless position
This is a popular sentiment I couldn't disagree with it more...

He's been mistreated by the clubs medical professionals & he's had to deal with multiple players and potentially coaches with drug habits.

This is not about him wanting to play for a bigger club or even the poor performance of the club, these comments are media spin while Melbourne come to terms with losing their best player.

If Melbourne don't trade him, the likely next step is a Petracca expose airing all the clubs dirty laundry. Melbourne wont want to go down that path and will trade him for 2 x picks or a player and a pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The term coin grabber should be reserved for those that start talks with other clubs just to up their salary at their present club (or a third that they are secretly going to - Lynch)
Like Nash? getting a big deal after speaking to Geelong as a free agent?

Also Tom Lynch was genuinely undecided between Richmond, Collingwood and Hawthorn. I am 100% certain of that, he got to free agency week and gave everyone a chance and he sat down with some close advisors and they decided together on the offer to take.

EVERY player is entitled to and should be trying to get the best deal for themselves at current club or another, and it's why managers exist and earn their living representing these players in negotiations. There is nothing wrong with this and it shouldn't be begrudged.

So seriously on Ward where does he fit? Day Newk Worpel are first 3, Nash Mackenzie McDonald would seem next 3 with Moore Weddle Watson the chop outs. Wings seem to be CJ and D’Ambrosio with Weddle and Amon the covers.
We have to be realistic and also focus on how to improve the list balance. What are our gaps? KPF seems like #1 3rd forward seems like #2 think we are set for small forwards and defenders. If players like Ward Maginness Serong allow us to acquire those positions you have to consider it at a minimum. This draft has several promising forwards that go between 10-40 getting 2 with second rounders seems to make sense.
Players like Shanahan Sims Faull Gerryn would fit the bill nicely.

How many CBA's has MacDonald had this season? Can't have been many. Last time he was tried there the Melbourne midfield treated him with contempt. Granted that may have been a wakeup call for him and a few weeks later he seemingly started to work much harder defensively.

Moore has been the chop-out midfielder, and he's been really effective in that role. He seems to have a disproportionate positive impact when he gets CBA's.

Ward may well want to move on in order to have more opportunities, but really next season he should be playing ahead of Morrison and Maginess. Maybe Breust winds down more next season and there is more gametime for another player with some shuffling of roles.

I’ve got a question for people, if Petracca came out and said he wants to join the Hawks what would people be happy to give up to get him, remembering that out 1st this year will likely go for Barrass.

This is a popular sentiment I couldn't disagree with it more...

He's been mistreated by the clubs medical professionals & he's had to deal with multiple players and potentially coaches with drug habits.

This is not about him wanting to play for a bigger club or even the poor performance of the club, these comments are media spin while Melbourne come to terms with losing their best player.

If Melbourne don't trade him, the likely next step is a Petracca expose airing all the clubs dirty laundry. Melbourne wont want to go down that path and will trade him for 2 x picks or a player and a pick.
What makes a trade difficult is his MASSIVE contract. hard to see many clubs able to find that in a hurry.

Like Nash? getting a big deal after speaking to Geelong as a free agent?

Also Tom Lynch was genuinely undecided between Richmond, Collingwood and Hawthorn. I am 100% certain of that, he got to free agency week and gave everyone a chance and he sat down with some close advisors and they decided together on the offer to take.

EVERY player is entitled to and should be trying to get the best deal for themselves at current club or another, and it's why managers exist and earn their living representing these players in negotiations. There is nothing wrong with this and it shouldn't be begrudged.
Lynch had decided on Richmond many months out- family member of mine very close to his mum and said this well in advance, even when media were throwing up other clubs. It was Richmond from a long way out, the rest was window dressing.

I’ve got a question for people, if Petracca came out and said he wants to join the Hawks what would people be happy to give up to get him, remembering that out 1st this year will likely go for Barrass.
Given all the crap coming out about that club, what player in their right mind would want to actually go there?
We certainly wouldn't want to throw any of our loyal servants under the bus by asking them to consider a move to the Demons.

Because of the above, the problem then for us (and most clubs) is nobody has the draft picks to make a trade happen except for 3 clubs: GC, Tigers and Freo.

We know Trac wants to stay in Melbourne, and whilst the Tigers could make something happen I can't see competitive Petracca wanting to go over there to play in a bottom 4 club for the rest of his career.

Yes. If 5% is the reason you choose one club over another at that level of salary, of course it is.

It's about $25k after tax.
Which is over 100k over the life of the contract. That’s not nothing even to guys earning as much as they are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back