Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So if we got Smith, who drops out of the lineup? Nash?
Who goes out if we got Battle?
Gunston? - but Lewis is theoretically uninjured..

The kind of problems that very good teams have.

I’m feeling very confident we’ll get Bailey… seeing the freedom Ginni has to be himself would be so appealing to someone like Baz. A young team on the up, playing an exciting brand of footy, a big long term contract… and the kicker, growing up a Hawks fan.

I’m feeling very confident we’ll get Bailey… seeing the freedom Ginni has to be himself would be so appealing to someone like Baz. A young team on the up, playing an exciting brand of footy, a big long term contract… and the kicker, growing up a Hawks fan.
Battle a hawks man too. Think all your points fit for him too.

The fun the young guys are having and Sam's philosophy of giving players the freedom/responsibility to make decisions about play style has to speak to Baz. He was in the same position as Ginni, locked in to a very rigid coaching structure which prevents him from playing his best game.

Chances are that this is wishful thinking and he already has his mind pretty set on something, but this club feels like a great environment for him and I hope the rest of this season can sell him on an upward trajectory.

The team would be bursting at the seams with big, different personalities, it sounds like a blast.

Oh, it's a good problem - it's a fine line with building a team and keeping your youngsters - especially when we ARE mostly a team of youngsters.

Still, Smith in for perhaps Nash. Not seeing who Battle would come in for at the moment tbh.

I could not be more biased but if you were Bailey Smith how could you not want to be a part of this.

So if we got Smith, who drops out of the lineup? Nash?
Who goes out if we got Battle?
Gunston? - but Lewis is theoretically uninjured..

Breust Gunners and Wingard you would think might be all done so that frees up 3 spots on the list and more cash.

IF we got Baz there would be no issues fitting him in to our team as a rotating mid/forward.

Oh, it's a good problem - it's a fine line with building a team and keeping your youngsters - especially when we ARE mostly a team of youngsters.

Still, Smith in for perhaps Nash. Not seeing who Battle would come in for at the moment tbh.
Depends if he wants a great deal on land in Geelong

I could not be more biased but if you were Bailey Smith how could you not want to be a part of this.
Dogs supposedly won't match any offer over $825k for him.

Geelong, although is an appealing lifestyle to a lot of people couldn't be further than that of Smith.

Collingwood the dark horse. Got some mates there, big club and big profile. However, on the downward trajectory and not sure they would be willing to part with the draft capital especially after seeing Clarko and Hardwick top up. Also, McRae has shown his unwillingness for individual expression in his players. Big red flag.

I would say we are the most likely destination, but don't want to jinx anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Breust Gunners and Wingard you would think might be all done so that frees up 3 spots on the list and more cash.

IF we got Baz there would be no issues fitting him in to our team as a rotating mid/forward.

Also possible all 3 are kept on, and maybe get played when our key young players are injured, so they continue their mentoring of the kids.

Geez I’m itching for an ITK update. In my head I’m convinced Battle and Smith are coming but can’t even remember if this was ITK mail or pure speculation.
Ross Lyon seems convinced Battle is coming to Hawthorn. Back in March there were strong rumours he was about to sign on at StKilda but he just never did, then Ross Lyon goes on TV and says, "well he's a free agent, Hawks are speaking to him"

Geelong, although is an appealing lifestyle to a lot of people couldn't be further than that of Smith.

Collingwood the dark horse. Got some mates there, big club and big profile. However, on the downward trajectory and not sure they would be willing to part with the draft capital especially after seeing Clarko and Hardwick top up. Also, McRae has shown his unwillingness for individual expression in his players. Big red flag.

I would say we are the most likely destination, but don't want to jinx anything.
Maybe not ready for this year, but middle of next year Roughy will be taking some tours of Kennedy Community Centre that will be very impressive for potential recruits.

If Ginni gets into Smith's ear he would surely come our way. Your point about McRae is a good one. Ginni has expressed frustration with the rigid system that he had to play in at the Pies. He's loving his time at the Hawks and Mitchell has expressed his happiness for players to "be who they are". Chol is another one who is benefitting from being given another chance but also upping his effort rate since coming to the club. Massimo is being given a chance and shining. You would the line that "we're a happy team at Hawthorn" is being shown week after week. Smith seems to need a bit of love and I think that he could get it at the Hawks.

My only concern is how Smith sees himself fitting into our midfield. He wants to be an inside mid and would give us a point of difference with his acceleration compared to Worpel and Nash. But who goes out for him to go in? That's the conundrum. If you listened to the Gunston 250th podcast, Gunners was not sure how he would fit into the forward line with Buddy, Ruff and Cyril etc. if he came to the Hawks and that was a concern with him at the time. If Nash left as a RFA you would think that Hustwaite would be his replacement. If Worpel left (as a pre Free Agent), Smith might have a chance although CMac, Ward and Croc would also out their hand up.

If Ginni gets into Smith's ear he would surely come our way. Your point about McRae is a good one. Ginni has expressed frustration with the rigid system that he had to play in at the Pies. He's loving his time at the Hawks and Mitchell has expressed his happiness for players to "be who they are". Chol is another one who is benefitting from being given another chance but also upping his effort rate since coming to the club. Massimo is being given a chance and shining. You would the line that "we're a happy team at Hawthorn" is being shown week after week. Smith seems to need a bit of love and I think that he could get it at the Hawks.

My only concern is how Smith sees himself fitting into our midfield. He wants to be an inside mid and would give us a point of difference with his acceleration compared to Worpel and Nash. But who goes out for him to go in? That's the conundrum. If you listened to the Gunston 250th podcast, Gunners was not sure how he would fit into the forward line with Buddy, Ruff and Cyril etc. if he came to the Hawks and that was a concern with him at the time. If Nash left as a RFA you would think that Hustwaite would be his replacement. If Worpel left (as a pre Free Agent), Smith might have a chance although CMac, Ward and Croc would also out their hand up.
Did we fit in Jack with Rough, Bud and Cyril?

Day, Newk, Nash, Smith, Worpel, Frenchie is a strong and tough midfield.

Day and Newk will drift forward. Smith and Frenchie can roll through the wings.

Nash and Worpel are our centrepieces.

I'll start by saying I love Nash and I love Worpel, they both provide far more value than the stats let on.

BUT if we get Bailey Smith it's not about how do we fit him in, it's about how do we fit those other two in. Regardless, awesome problem to have.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back