Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Barrass is a different kind of defender to Frost. Barrass is much better in the air and is calmer with ball in hand, but I don't think has the athleticism or pace to man-mark someone like Frost has been.

We are already strong in the air with Sicily, Scrimshaw and Weddle playing in defence. If we add Battle too then there's another taller defender who is great in the air. But outside of Frost and a recovering Blanck we don't have a real stopper back there.

I wonder how we will fit them all in? Certainly we will be dominant in the air if we somehow have Barrass, Sicily, Scrimshaw, Battle and maybe Weddle all back in defence.

Edit: further to the above, when WCE were a top side and won the 2018 flag they had Schofield playing as a stopper, with Barrass and McGovern (especially) intercepting.

Maybe the idea is to keep Frost at FB, and have Barrass playing CHB?

I mentioned early days this year when Dear looked like he did (looks every bit of a top 10 pick) that it meant we would be more open to trading our first. I reckon we view him as a bonus first rounder. Therefore I reckon it’s a no brainer to give up our first for Barrass. Add Battle to that it would be a home run offseason. We already have 2 top 10 draft picks on the outskirts of our midfield and with a midfield heavy top of draft it makes sense to trade it. We have to keep our second rounder though to target a key Fwd. One of the Whitlocks, Shanahan, Faull, Armstrong, Sims, Gerryn will be there. Offer our first and that’s it. Any talk of a 1st and a 2nd is crazy. They will bite our hand off for a pick 10 with where they’re at now. They will have their heart set on a player in draft so just offer our first and don’t budge.
I'd suggest we'll need something small on top of our first round pick as it's looking increasingly likely that it will keep diluting, perhaps to pick 12. Maybe DGB on top or a 2025 pick swap (our F2 for WCE's F3). I really like the idea of holding onto our 2nd rounder, however swapping 2nd rounders with WCE could be in play too, Improving our pick to 23 would allow us a better play at one of the key forwards you've mentioned. My preference is Gerreyn as I think he represents what we need most, a big monster in the forward line, but I'd be happy with Shanahan too.

The talk is that Barrass was promised by former list manager Rohan O'Brien who stepped down that his contract would be renegotiated. This is why Barrass is disgruntled and is willing to move as the new list manager Matthew Clarke has obviously earmarked Barrass as a player that isn't in their future plans and can be moved for draft assets.

Where a fair club in negotiations but I really hope that we remember that they're actually pushing him out the door and actually reneging on what was mentioned as a verbal handshake. I'm not saying we should lowball them but I'm not giving anything more than 1 x 1st rounder and with that said I'd be open by offering our F1.
I like this option too. Use our F1, DGB and if needed some sort of late pick swap for the Barass trade, then use our Picks 10 and 27 to trade for Sydney's picks 18 & 19. Giving us 2x first round picks for the 3rd year running.

An odd thought but if their was a handshake (verbal) agreement that was reneged on by any club but in this case west coast.

Would that not constitute a breach in contract? now I don’t think it gets through the courts in the required time it takes to start the next season but it would essentially force west coast into a fire sale to not lose face with the current playing group.

Reason being if barass puts the foot down, this won’t be a trade for our first round pick, bad back, wanting to save face and a club that needs to look after a premiership hero and club legend or face a playing group that is about to be mighty pissed off on all future contracts. Case in point Harley Reid will be watching first hand how they treat Barass on the way out.

Tune has definitely changed when they had the Dogs as front runners until a couple of weeks ago. That's because there's enough ITK info going around what exactly is going on that suggests there's only 2 ways this will go. He stays at WCE and they abide by the initial agreement. Or he's Dingley bound. The meeting between Sam and Barass's management was exactly this. Principle agreeance to come to us if thing's fall through at WCE.

Barrass is a different kind of defender to Frost. Barrass is much better in the air and is calmer with ball in hand, but I don't think has the athleticism or pace to man-mark someone like Frost has been.

We are already strong in the air with Sicily, Scrimshaw and Weddle playing in defence. If we add Battle too then there's another taller defender who is great in the air. But outside of Frost and a recovering Blanck we don't have a real stopper back there.

I wonder how we will fit them all in? Certainly we will be dominant in the air if we somehow have Barrass, Sicily, Scrimshaw, Battle and maybe Weddle all back in defence.

Edit: further to the above, when WCE were a top side and won the 2018 flag they had Schofield playing as a stopper, with Barrass and McGovern (especially) intercepting.

Maybe the idea is to keep Frost at FB, and have Barrass playing CHB?
Couldn’t play all of Battle, Frost, Scrim, Barrass and Sic in defence would absolutely destroy our rebound and ground level game. The moment the ball hits the ground we’d be toast.

Even having 4 on the field at once would be pushing it.

Getting Frenchie and Weddle as 2x 1st rounders

Watson, McCabe and Dear (Calsher is like a bonus 1st rounder like someone said before based on what he’s produced) as 3 x 1st rounders

We can afford to splash a 1st rounder on Barrass in an even drafter with Collingwood 2nd in our pocket

Couldn’t play all of Battle, Frost, Scrim, Barrass and Sic in defence would absolutely destroy our rebound and ground level game. The moment the ball hits the ground we’d be toast.

Even having 4 on the field at once would be pushing it.
If Barrass & Battle do come in, I would guess Frost reads the tea leaves and asks for a trade. His best chance of getting a 3 yr contract at decent $$$ would be now after such a great year as KPD.
Dogs sounds like the best team to get given they were looking for Barrass and won't be a bottom 4 like Norf in 2025 with flag chances.

Curious if frost is now contracted for 2025 given he hit the trigger or does it require him to accept the offer for 2025.

I can already see the media reports in the offseason now. "Hawthorn was linked with Barass, Battle, Perryman, and Smith but only got 3 of those signed. Despite their premiership from an 0-5 start, their rebuild is clearly a failure and Sammie Mitchell must be worried they aren't a destination club. Trade Period Grade: D+"

I reckon the most likely scenario is we get NEITHER Battle nor Barass. I’m cool with that. Our backline SEEMS undersized, but it’s been working well. We just need to get big Willy up to speed.

Plus we get Blancky back next year.
I don't think that is the most likely scenario

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Barrass & Battle do come in, I would guess Frost reads the tea leaves and asks for a trade. His best chance of getting a 3 yr contract at decent $$$ would be now after such a great year as KPD.
Dogs sounds like the best team to get given they were looking for Barrass and won't be a bottom 4 like Norf in 2025 with flag chances.

Curious if frost is now contracted for 2025 given he hit the trigger or does it require him to accept the offer for 2025.
Can't see this happening. Loves the place, has triggered a contract extension, Sam seems to rate him and he was only ever out of the side through injury. I can't help but feel we either have something else in mind for Battle, or for Sicily in terms of role.

Can’t afford to lose Frost even if we get Barrass.

Will need him as backup.

Getting Frenchie and Weddle as 2x 1st rounders

Watson, McCabe and Dear (Calsher is like a bonus 1st rounder like someone said before based on what he’s produced) as 3 x 1st rounders

We can afford to splash a 1st rounder on Barrass in an even drafter with Collingwood 2nd in our pocket
Also think Massimo and Duke play like first rounders.

For years we have been obsessed with getting someone who "can play on the gorillas". That was why we aimed at Ben McKay and even Ratugolea (which I could not believe). Ever since we got Brian Lake we have always thought we were short in this area. As it turns out, Ben McKay's disposal is terrible and is not worth the coin he gets at Essendon.

And these days, there just aren't any gorilla forwards left. Hawkins is done and all of the other big key forwards are more athletic running types like Cameron, Kings. No-one really threatens to kick 7-8 goals anymore and the system won't allow it. As it stands, our guys are good enough to compete against the remaining gorillas and then just run off. Last Sunday was a great example - Tex Walker, Thilthorpe and Himmelberg - all really big and when they did not mark it, we just waltzed out of the backline repeatedly and put 19 goals on them.

Curnow and McKay might be the only real marking types left, but I don't believe the gorilla defender is as important as it was in history. Worried we might disturb the current balance, while the defence is hardly conceding anything as it is.

In short, concerned that we don't need Barass, especially given the likely cost.

Massimo and Chol have only scratched the surface of their ability.

Massimo has to be up their as recruit of the year.

He just is so smooth and unfazed under pressure.

They have been tremendous pick ups.

The club has a new energy due to the recruits over the off season.

Hard to believe it can change on a dime like that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back