Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I totally agree!

I’d only trade our fringe players if said player makes request and trade value is above average. Serong and Maginness are keeps and in our best 25, injury could see them play a fair portion of the season.
Serong played how many AFL matches this year? We are adding Barrass and Battle. I realise some current defenders can play elsewhere, but not sure how Serong is in best 25 in 2025.
Love to keep the depth, but can see how he may want a move for more AFL time.

Serong played how many AFL matches this year? We are adding Barrass and Battle. I realise some current defenders can play elsewhere, but not sure how Serong is in best 25 in 2025.
Love to keep the depth, but can see how he may want a move for more AFL time.
Could Serong be that hybrid player ? I can see him playing forward - such a beautiful kick.

Not sure why Ward and Mackenzie are being mentioned - neither will be traded. Both have excellent ceilings and will be crucial components of our midfield for a very long time. Also, both are viewed incredibly highly by the coaching staff at Hawthorn.

Reckon that we will see Frosty staying at Hawthorn, despite the interest from elsewhere.

Are there fringe players who have interest from other clubs? Absolutely. Players only get one chance at a career that can end in an instant and if they decide to leave for better opportunities or a better pay day that sets up their future, you couldn’t begrudge them of that.
Yep - Ward and McKenzie tracking ok. Trading them out for a top pick that we hope turns into a Ward or McKenzie isn't wise.

The only reason we'd trade them is if we felt we were surplus of that player type and wanted to trade for a different player type.

What are the following fringe (or soon to be fringe) players worth as direct draft pick swaps? Or better question what pick would make it worth us considering a trade?

DGB
Sam Frost
Finn MacGinness
Jai Serong
Ned Reeves
C Jiath
Seamus Mitchell
Sam Butler
Josh Ward
Cam McKenzie

DISCLAIMER: I’m not saying we should or will trade them so please no hysteria.

My thoughts probably a little biased.

DGB still young loads of growth to come R1
Sam Frost great season thinking around R1
Finn MacGinness terrific tank, good finals work R1
Jai Serong could go forward, strong list member R1
Ned Reeves, very tall, great reach R1
C Jiath will come back hard after a full pre season R1
Seamus Mitchell perfect back up for Impey, Amon and Dimma R1
Sam Butler expect a big bounce back from Sam R1
Josh Ward huge future R1
Cam McKenzie coming on strongly R1

The slightly elevated trade value also come from the fact that they are coming from an excellent football culture and have worn the brown and gold, it’s a no brainer.

Josh Ward huge future R1

The slightly elevated trade value also come from the fact that they are coming from an excellent football culture and have worn the brown and gold, it’s a no brainer.
LOL

Was reminded today that MM processed all the deals for Mass, Ginni, Chol and Gunners on the last day of the trade period. We know of TB and JB. What else does sleepy MM have up his sleeve I wonder ……

Question - I’m holding onto my hat but can anyone tell me - for how long ?
Pro tip: just tie it to your head and that way you’ll never lose it

helmet GIF

The question was really “what offer would get our list management team engaged and considering a trade?” not “what other clubs would value them out?”. So for example people have valued Seamus Mitchell at 40-50 and I wouldn’t even come close to trading him for that as I feel he has weapons and a huge upside. Personally I wouldn’t trade him for anything less than 20 so it would take a very eager club with a specific need (in this case speed off the back line) to get that done.

This is mine…

DGB - 50
Sam Frost - 30
Finn MacGinness - 30
Jai Serong - 25
Ned Reeves - 30
C Jiath - 15
Seamus Mitchell - 20
Sam Butler - 50
Josh Ward - 25
Cam McKenzie - 10
Pretty good.

Putting on Devil's advocate oppo recruiters hat on:

DGB - 57 (project player, no guarantees)
Sam Frost - 25 (you'd only select him if you needed to shore up defence so worth more than a mid at 31)
Finn MacGinness - 40 (good finals series helped but jury out on best position, could be worth 25 at Syd or 45 at Carlton)
Jai Serong - 45 (in form VFL player couldn't break into a side missing tall defenders - concerning?)
Ned Reeves - 30 (this is the interesting one, depending on need for an established ruck could command anywhere between 20 and 40)
C Jiath - 25 (upside there, body questionable)
Seamus Mitchell - 35 (has shown glimpses, needs a decent run at it)
Sam Butler - 50 (similar to DGB)
Josh Ward - 25 (also needs a decent run at it, hard to gauge if will be a consistent performer)
Cam McKenzie - 8 (shown enough, will only get better)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Josh Ward huge future R1

So if all those players (at their current age and experience) were in this years draft, you would be happy to use the club's first on all of them?

Josh and Cam yes, but none of the others.

Sounds like our pick 13 will go to Richmond in the Baker deal.

The steak knives will be a fascinating watch on this one.
Can you elaborate?

Us - Barrass
Rich - 13
WCE - Baker

If WCE use pick 13 for baker they are still on the glass harley from years ago.

13 is high but he’s a good player to have around to shield Harley a bit.. They can’t afford to be horrible for years.. They need senior players to build around Reid..If they get a second back in that deal, then they’ve done ok.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

About us losing a player or two i'm less concerned about it as i have been in the past. We all get excited about our younger fringe players and expect big things from them. And are scared of another player leaving and doing well and us getting shafted.

However after last season I feel the players we lost and what we managed to get in return. The club knows who is worth fighting to keep and who to let walk, and i suspect some of the players rumoured to be getting offers have been told to seek them.

Brockman, Ryan and koschitzke left last year who I thought all were important players for us. All 3 have been poor, and we got decent return for all of them. We also didn't fuss about it was we knew we were going to build a great group of small forwards without Brockman. When as a fan it looked like slim pickings with a declining bruest and wingard.

Whoever leaves, will free up a spot for a player in a positional need in the 22 as opposed to being a surplus depth player. It will also help us retain picks and unlock other trades.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back