Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking at the fringe players that are being discussed

Mackenzie, Ward & Jiath being traded is highly unlikely unless there's a mega trade in the works. These guys are generally selected when fit.

Frost was one of our best and with Battle and Barass incoming and Sicily and Weddle potentially moving up the ground Frost is going no where.

Butler was tracking pretty well before the injury and the club wouldn't likely trade an injured player whilst he's under contract.

That leaves the following as potential collateral damage through the trade period.

DGB (FA) - probable
Serong - probable
Reeves - likely
Finn - likely
Seamus - unlikely
Morrison - unlikely

Mackenzie, Ward & Jiath being traded is highly unlikely unless there's a mega trade in the works. These guys are generally selected when fit.

Frost was one of our best and with Battle and Barass incoming and Sicily and Weddle potentially moving up the ground Frost is going no where.

Butler was tracking pretty well before the injury and the club wouldn't likely trade an injured player whilst he's under contract.

That leaves the following as potential collateral damage through the trade period.

DGB (FA) - probable
Serong - probable
Reeves - likely
Finn - likely
Seamus - unlikely
Morrison - unlikely
What’s the difference between probable and likely? 😂

DGB (FA) - probable
Serong - probable
Reeves - likely
Finn - likely
Seamus - unlikely
Morrison - unlikely

The only one I would miss from this lot is Serong

I got a theory there is heat on this cotton on deal/sponsorship rort and there is some panic from both sides

I wonder if this could open the door for other clubs then, if this turns out what could be happening, could see him going to the GC out of the spotlight if he can't get to the cats.

Last edited:
I got a theory there is heat on this cotton on deal/sponsorship rort and there is some panic from both sides

It doesn’t take Sherlock Holmes to work out that Cotton On giving him more money if he was to go to Geelong is sketchy.

They’ll sell it as a coincidence and the AFL will role over for the cats.

Smith might just be waiting because the dogs are mad af right now. I hope they make it very difficult, a Dunkley type trade.

I wonder whether we would have a look at Caleb Daniel if we could get him relatively cheaply? Wouldn't hurt to have another elite ball user on the other wing.

Expect we’ll try to generate a few more picks - it’s supposedly a good and deep draft and MM has a good record with later picks. We’re impatient and will try to be aggressive to acquire talent (which may mean we take risks with depth).

In terms of possible movements:

DGB not worth anything. May end up delisted.

Morrison - given battle coming on we won’t get any FA compo - expect we’ll try to keep him

Frost/Serong - expect one will be squeezed out. Swans may pay up for frost.

Finn - I really like what he brings and his improvement but there’s others ahead of him. Really up to him if he wants more opportunities. Would hate to get screwed in a trade. His finals performances should have enhanced his value. While bombers are interested he’d also fit the swans.

Reeves - he’s well behind Meek (unless they change rules again). Ruck stocks look thin if he goes but he may want opportunity.

Seamus - can’t see going anywhere. Lost his way offensively but has some tools. Our best small lockdown defender not named Hardwick.

Butler - coming off LT injury and is contracted. Highly unlikely another club would trade for him.

Mackenzie/Ward/Jiath - highly unlikely, club is investing a lot in them.

Just need to remind all that Eagles pick 23 will slide atleast another 2 spots prior to draft. Battle and Perryman Compo will slide in at Band 2( end of first round).

So that's pick 25. Then add FS & academy picks, likely around pick 27/28.

Foolish to add our F1 to any deal thinking it is only a small pick slide.

Just need to remind all that Eagles pick 23 will slide atleast another 2 spots prior to draft. Battle and Perryman Compo will slide in at Band 2( end of first round).
valid
Then add FS & academy picks,
not valid

If there are 100 f/s or academy players, the pick slides to 125, but the exact same player is available at that pick. The number is irrelevant (except for points value).

I wonder whether we would have a look at Caleb Daniel if we could get him relatively cheaply? Wouldn't hurt to have another elite ball user on the other wing.

Too slow IMO and he doesn't have enough penetration with his kicking to make up for the lack of speed in the way Sam wants to play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

valid

not valid

If there are 100 f/s or academy players, the pick slides to 125, but the exact same player is available at that pick. The number is irrelevant (except for points value).
You are missing the point, the draft rankings released by Cal & others for example list the Whitlock twins at 21 and 26.

You get eagles pick 23, add battle and Perryman prior to draft, pick is now 25. If they get picked as per rankings, you will miss on both of them as Lions & Suns pick Levi & Lombard & have their picks inserted.

Assume we have pick 15 next yr. Our pick slide is 15 to 27. ( maybe 1-2 less if there is FS picked ahead).

Point is it is a 10-12 pick slide not 3-5 as people seem to imagine.

When on-song is kicking up there with Miers as some of the most creative and accurate in the league.

Not doubting that but where would he play?

We already have two very effective high half forwards that aren't blessed with pace in Moore and Ginnivan.

We have a stacked half back line who have the speed to break lines or the kicking skills to cut through a zone.

He could play opposite wing to Mass but he will get absolutely burned on transition.

DGB (FA) - probable
Serong - probable
Reeves - likely
Finn - likely
Seamus - unlikely
Morrison - unlikely

Unless a club has offered Frost a 3 year deal and us a really good pick I think we would be crazy to let him go after he has just had his best season ever.

Reeves I assume still has a few years left on the long term deal from when his Dad was CEO, but as we have seen with Brisbane, surely clubs would be wanting a solid ruckman as a backup, and not just a developing kid.

DGB feels like a wasted career. Afforded every opportunity and he has shown glimpses of brilliance, but just never been able to be consistently good.

As with wanting a solic ruckman, I really hope we dont lose Finn and Morrison. Both have been good players when given the chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back