Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

My take on the trade period rn:

Keep Reeves, Morrison, Frost.
Trade Serong
Delist DGB

I would like to keep Serong but if we don't let go of him he will be playing VFL all year and is clearly better than that. Walked straight into the final against the dogs and played reliably and did his job.

Keep Reeves since we need a backup ruck, unless we can get somebody else in. Meek will inevitably get injured.

Morrison uses the ball cleanly, gives experience and stability so keep.

Don't know if we should trade Finn or not. Fumbles the ball a lot which slows down our run and carry but good stamina and tagging and still young.

Keep Ward, CJ, Mckenzie. Shouldn't even be a question

Last edited:
Expect we’ll try to generate a few more picks - it’s supposedly a good and deep draft and MM has a good record with later picks.
Unfortunately, so will all other clubs for exactly the same reason. Looks like being quite a cat-and-mouse game, this trade season - and I'll back MM's nous to strike us the best possible deals.

Really enjoying eagles fans shouting ad nauseam about how barrass is a contracted player and that we HAVE to pay up because of this, but then in the same sentence will propose a scenario where Richmond give them a sweetheart deal for both baker and the contracted Bolton
It is funny how some people on Big Footy will argue with anyone for pages about how a trade deal will go a certain way or a free agent will get their club a certain level of compensation. So invested in convincing strangers on the internet that something that they have absolutely no influence over will or won't happen.

Really enjoying eagles fans shouting ad nauseam about how barrass is a contracted player and that we HAVE to pay up because of this, but then in the same sentence will propose a scenario where Richmond give them a sweetheart deal for both baker and the contracted Bolton

You’re right - but our posters are some of the very best at ‘we should play hardball with them but get everything in for a packet of chips’. All boards are probably the same.

My take on the trade period rn:

Keep Reeves, Morrison, Frost.
Trade Serong
Delist DGB

I would like to keep Serong but if we don't let go of him he will be playing VFL all year and is clearly better than that. Walked straight into the final against the dogs and played reliably and did his job.

Keep Reeves since we need a backup ruck, unless we can get somebody else in. Meek will inevitably get injured.

Morrison uses the ball cleanly, gives experience and stability so keep.

Don't know if we should trade Finn or not. Fumbles the ball a lot which slows down our run and carry but good stamina and tagging and still young.

Keep Ward, CJ, Mckenzie. Shouldn't even be a question

And suppose we need to do the same with Serong in 2025? Why get a pick which may become Serong in 2-3 years time

Wasn’t it embley for buddy once?

Very uneasy about giving them future first tbh. Pick 13 is a fair deal.
I feel like someone from the Club and many fans have got Eagles used to the idea of 2 1st round picks. We were so caught up in our form that we felt like a flag was almost ours and so we didn't push back against such media beatups.

the media is still talking of 13 + F1 which means we are not pushing back and are indulging the Eagles. The fact they are able to do this while undervaluing other players on trade talk is astounding.

Infuriating to read the trade chat on Baker/Bolton/Smith and how other club fans are trying to sell the best deal for their clubs.

If we are planning on delisting DGB and the Eagles want him I reckon he will be added as steak knives in the Barrass deal.

The optics of it are better for all involved, particularly for DGB and us. Hawks sell it as honouring a homecoming request so we save face on losing an early first rounder, and DGB doesn’t have the indignity of being dumped from the squad.

It is funny how some people on Big Footy will argue with anyone for pages about how a trade deal will go a certain way or a free agent will get their club a certain level of compensation. So invested in convincing strangers on the internet that something that they have absolutely no influence over will or won't happen.
This times 200 trillion.

I feel like someone from the Club and many fans have got Eagles used to the idea of 2 1st round picks. We were so caught up in our form that we felt like a flag was almost ours and so we didn't push back against such media beatups.

the media is still talking of 13 + F1 which means we are not pushing back and are indulging the Eagles. The fact they are able to do this while undervaluing other players on trade talk is astounding.

Infuriating to read the trade chat on Baker/Bolton/Smith and how other club fans are trying to sell the best deal for their clubs.
Because that's not the way we work. Other clubs might feel the need to leak stuff to the media but that's not our style. Did anyone in the media have any clue to us landing Mass/Chol/Ginni last year?

As others have alluded to, I'm pretty sure the Eagles and us, both good clubs when it comes to doing trade business, have already agreed a deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL.com reporting that Clayton Oliver is being shopped around again it'll be interesting to see if this goes anywhere.

My gutfeeling is that - while we're all going through the machinations of the predicable trades (esp Barrass and Battle) and the trade value of our fringe players, ad nauseam - there'll be a couple of unpredicable and unforseen trades that will jump out at us.

Sam and MM have proven themselves to be aggressive and innovative recruiters and I'd be really surprised if we don't get blown away with something clever and left-field.

(and I wouldn't be shocked if Baily Smith is still a prospect).

If we are planning on delisting DGB and the Eagles want him I reckon he will be added as steak knives in the Barrass deal.

The optics of it are better for all involved, particularly for DGB and us. Hawks sell it as honouring a homecoming request so we save face on losing an early first rounder, and DGB doesn’t have the indignity of being dumped from the squad.
Why would the Eagles do that?

It makes no sense for them.

It’s unlikely we’d offer DGB a main list spot or that he’d be part of the Barrass trade. If he’s delisted by the Hawks and there’s mutual interest we may offer him a chance to train over summer with a view to take him via the SSP. Perhaps a rookie spot at best but that’s not to say there wouldn’t be other clubs interested in him or for the Hawks to rookie him. By all accounts he’s enjoying living in Melbourne and may not wish to pursue a move back to WA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back